Bench Shirt Query

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Bench Shirt Query

I don't compete in events and am unlikely to do mostly to geography. However I do a "dino" style workout and love triples, doubles, and singles.

My problem is this: on my way to 300lbs (stuck at 297.5) I've torn my right rotator cuff 2x's and my left once. Now when I do flat or decline presses I get pain deep under my front delt. (not on presses, dips, inclines or cleans though which seems odd).

Mostly, I think this is from improper form though my shoulder might be a bit shallow. I don't want to stop benching. While I will now bring my elbows in tighter the horse is already out of the barn, as it were.

I was thinking a bench shirt, say a Straight Blast (the "lightest" one) that's a size to large would be good for supporting my shoulders?

I don't want a tight one or to specialize in shirt-bench technique lifting. I don't even really care if the shirt jumps my single up (though breaking 300lbs after years would be nice).

I just want to put it on by myself, put a sweatshirt over it and train normally--but with the shoulder given some good support when I <5 reps (or *any* reps at this point when supine). No arms thrown out in front of me like a T-Rex and no 3-man team needed to stuff me in.

Is my idea a plausible one or is the bench shirt simply an event device not meant to be used this way?

Thanks wise ones.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Answers

i am sure anything can work, i know dave tate had some funky shirt with no sleeves for this purpose. I would try and work on your shoulders though and get your rotators fixed. I have never liked the idea of using a blast shirt for this reason, it has been tossed around many times. The shirt is cheap though, you can always try it out.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bench Shirt
    By Swift in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 04:11 PM
  2. Bench Shirt Quality
    By stullsy in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
  3. bench shirt question???
    By stullsy in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7