Decent Routine/Supplements?

jimmy32

Awards
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I love all the advice everyone puts in. So, now I figure I'll see if anyone has any input on my routine and supplements...

Starting out, i'm 26, around 165 lbs (very minimial body fat), and i've left the basement and joined a gym. I've been working out for years now, but it's always been an endurance based workout for hockey. Now I'm just playing beer league... its time to put on some mass and strength. (goalies rely on endurance, not strength)

Mon: Chest/Triceps
Tue: Cardio
Wed: Shoulders/Forearms
Thur: Cardio
Fri: Back/Bicep

I also do abs at least 3-4 days after the workout, and I have hockey Mon, Wed, Thu, and Sun.

Supplements: Fish oil, gingko, creatine eythl ester, glutamine, Iso Mass Xtreme Gainer (doubles as my protein), the occasional vitamin B supplement, and Anabolic Edge 2 pills twice a day.

Been doing 3 sets of 8, really pushing myself. Question is... i only do each group once a week, is that enough? should i be doing more? supplements make sense? I would really appreciate some input.

Thanks!

jimmy32

Awards
I leave legs to the 4+ days of hockey each week and cardio.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
That's not a reason to not train your legs.
+1

You would do well to add legs into your routine. If anything your reasons on why you don't do legs is actually reasons why you SHOULD do legs...

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
I would also recommend you stick to a very basic routine, one that focuses on the major lifts(Squats, deadlifts, bench press) along with overhead press, some pull/chin-ups, maybe some barbell rows.

You would do well to follow one of the routines on this link

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Maybe with one or two assistance exercises added on if you feel you must.

Chicken legs on anybody just looks silly

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
That's not a reason to not train your legs.
Agreed. Why not make a good thing better? When I hammer legs I feel fantastic. Butchering some of our largest muscles really ramps test levels up too I've read.

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
Diet is going to be an important tool to gain mass and strength.

Make sure to continue to overload your muscles with your training. Intensity is more important than a certain magic number of reps and sets.

b18cyaaa

b18cyaaa

Awards
Strong flexible legs seem like a must for a goalie. Plan for some rest after leg day as you will be sore. Here's a beginner's routine:

10 minutes of stretching
Leg extensions (not too heavy) 3x10
Seated Hammie Curls (not too heavy) 3x10
Squats 3X 8-10
Leg Press 3x12
Bodyweight Lunges