Shouler Popping over Bone????????

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
I've been training hard for a few years and haven't really paid much attention to this until recently.

- When I raise my left arm, laterally, once it passes 90* I feel something small kind of catch/jump onto a bone, then on the way down it pops back over.

- If I do narrow arm circles with arm fully extended, no popping. If I do wide arm circles, moving up and backwards, on the way down it will catch and pop loudly at the same point as above.

- If I flex my upper lat, rear delt and then do the above mentioned movements, the pop is much stronger/intense.

- Finally, if I have my arm straight down by my side, and I rotate my forarm and upper arm together inwards, I will feel the pop in the same location.

Now whats weird is nothing pops when doing shoulder presses, bench press, lat pulldowns, curls, front raises, etc....only pops during lat raises and arm circles.

Once again, No pain unless I keep popping it over and over. Its pops every time I do those movements, no exceptions.

If I feel my shoulder with my hand while popping, it seems like the pop is coming right below where my collar bone ends. Almost like the ball is popping/catching on something at the top end of the socket I don't know.

So, should I worry about this? Should I stop doing lat raises? Should I get an MRI? Could my collar bone be too long? Could I have a Labrum tear and not know it? ETC?

Please help!

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Look in to a SLAP tear. This will require surgery; no way getting around it if it feels as if the AC joint is locking. Read up on it and feel free to PM me or ask any questions here about. I've been throught the surgery on both shoulders.

S.L.A.P. Tear's will have different grades.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
well I looked up some things about the SLAP tear. It says that pain is usually felt along with instability, deep aching at night, etc. Most of the tests involve resistance in certain agnels....I can lat raise, front raise, rotate in all directions with no pain.

I don't feel any pain at all...its just my shoulder clunks when doing arm circles or anything passing 90*

I spoke with my cousin, a Phys Therapist, he says its possibly muscular imblance, more muscle in the front delt or rear delt causing the shoulder to push out of alignment causing the tendon pop.

I'm going to set up appointment with my campus Physical Therapy office to run all the tests on my arm, hawkins test, o'briens, etc...then procede to x-ray/mri if neccessary. I want to be really aggressive with this just incase it is a SLAP tear, so that maybe I can rehab the labrum

lift or die

Awards
Mine does the same thing... Somebody told me that it was from doing to much weight at one point in time... I never really got it checked out... but if you do please let me know whats going on... thanks...

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
went to a physical therapist. He moved my arm around in all the different tests...pulled and pushed and had me resist forces. Nothing hurt at all, altough one of the lateral movements felt a little unstable.

He said not to worry about it. The popping was just probably a muscular alignment issue and its possible that my AC joint has rough edges that are catching on things when I rotate all the way backwards. He said to minimize the movements that cause popping, and the worst that could happen is tendonitis develops from consistantly popping it.

I'm kinda thinking he was being a little to laid back about it. I'm beginning to think its a subacromial inpingement which can lead to bone spurs (which might be whats happend and causes the clicking).

Whatever it is, theres no reason for surgery or MRI/tests, or any sort of rehab unless I a) loose strength b) loose throwing speed c) experience stiffness/consistent pain

lift or die

Awards
went to a physical therapist. He moved my arm around in all the different tests...pulled and pushed and had me resist forces. Nothing hurt at all, altough one of the lateral movements felt a little unstable.

He said not to worry about it. The popping was just probably a muscular alignment issue and its possible that my AC joint has rough edges that are catching on things when I rotate all the way backwards. He said to minimize the movements that cause popping, and the worst that could happen is tendonitis develops from consistantly popping it.

I'm kinda thinking he was being a little to laid back about it. I'm beginning to think its a subacromial inpingement which can lead to bone spurs (which might be whats happend and causes the clicking).

Whatever it is, theres no reason for surgery or MRI/tests, or any sort of rehab unless I a) loose strength b) loose throwing speed c) experience stiffness/consistent pain
K man thanks for the update....

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have the same thing in only those two exercises and have zero pain or outside the gym issues with it.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
well, did a shouler workout yesterday. Everything went fine.
Smith machine millitary, arnold presses, lat raises, front raises.

I'm still experiencing the clicking when raising my arm above 90* laterally or further back. And, also I experience pain, if put my arm out in front of me and rotate my entire arm/forearm. Its a pinching pain. Feels like something is stuck inside my shoulder and gets pinched when I roll my arm inwards.

I believe I have a minor subacromial impingement. Or, from the clicking, the tendon gets irritated and swells within the acromial space causing pain on the ac joint. I wouldn't be suprised if tons of people get this from musclar imbalance or just tendon growth in general.

nab0610

Awards
I had a similar issue about 4-5 years ago...stopped me from playing baseball because of pain in my shoulder after about 20 hard throws...

just got it checked out last year turns out two of my bones where my shoulder meets up collide when i rotate my shoulder as you said. Doc did an MRI and it came back that I had a partial tear in one of the ligaments in my shoulder.

He said it was a genetic condition with the way my bones were aligned and that the tear would never heal itself and could get worse. It would need to be pinned and recovery was anywhere from 6-8 weeks.

This partial tear has never affected me with lifting, but I do hear my shoulder pop every now and than. I don't play baseball regularly anymore so I never go the surgery done

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I believe I have a minor subacromial impingement. Or, from the clicking, the tendon gets irritated and swells within the acromial space causing pain on the ac joint. I wouldn't be suprised if tons of people get this from musclar imbalance or just tendon growth in general.

I'm just now recovering from having subacromial decompression surgery a few days ago. Ever since about July, I was getting a lot of pain during certain movement, mostly overhead type stuff, tricep pushdowns, and bench pressing. Not to mention it was preventing me from doing other outdoor activities. I tried two cortisone injections, and pt, with only minor improvements. So I decided to get the surgery - knowing that my insurance coverage was going down next year.

The worst part of the whole thing for me was the nerve block they used just before surgery that numbs your whole arm. From what they told me, its fairly common to feel a shortness of breath after getting the nerve block in the shoulder area, but I literally thought I was going to suffocate - something about it blocking the signals between your lung and brain. I was almost in a panic not feeling like I could breathe - one of the worst feelings I've ever had. They proceeded with the surgery, and once I came out of sedation, I still didnt' feel like I could breathe. This lasted until late that night, and I swore I'd never do that again. I'd rather just deal with the pain than feel like I couldn't breathe. Other than that, I hope to be back in action within a few weeks - we'll see.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I have always had this since pitching in baseball. I have just ignored it, but it was a rotator cuff injury way back when.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
I have always had this since pitching in baseball. I have just ignored it, but it was a rotator cuff injury way back when.
So if you rotate your arm around in a wide circle you feel it catch and pop?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
So if you rotate your arm around in a wide circle you feel it catch and pop?
Yup. It jolts out of socket at about 11-3 oclock (angle reference 12 being straight up in the air/overhead)

mine is a similar issue to that of nab:

"I had a similar issue about 4-5 years ago...stopped me from playing baseball because of pain in my shoulder after about 20 hard throws...

just got it checked out last year turns out two of my bones where my shoulder meets up collide when i rotate my shoulder as you said. Doc did an MRI and it came back that I had a partial tear in one of the ligaments in my shoulder. "

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
Yup. It jolts out of socket at about 11-3 oclock (angle reference 12 being straight up in the air/overhead)

mine is a similar issue to that of nab:

"I had a similar issue about 4-5 years ago...stopped me from playing baseball because of pain in my shoulder after about 20 hard throws...

just got it checked out last year turns out two of my bones where my shoulder meets up collide when i rotate my shoulder as you said. Doc did an MRI and it came back that I had a partial tear in one of the ligaments in my shoulder. "
well mine sounds very similar. It doesn't bother me unless I pop it...but should I stop lifting?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
IT bothers you during lifting? Mine never does, well not very often at all. Maybe 2 times a year.

nab0610

Awards
If it doesn't hurt you I wouldn't worry about it I was lifting on and off for like 3 years without it bothering me after I stopped playing baseball. Now been on straight for a good 2 years and mine hasn't gotten any worse.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
yea, mine doesn't bother me unless I purposely rotate my arm, causing it to pop, repeatedly. It will then begin to swell inside and ache like tendonitis for days.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much. Its just annoying when I reach up to the top shelf to grap a jar of pickles and my arm jumps on the way down.

Whats especially stange is now my right arm is beginning to do the same exact thing, just not as terrible.

I researched this a little and came up with the "transverse humeral ligament". This keep the humeral head in the socket aside from the labrum I think...Its debatable to whether this ligament truly exists or if its just muscular design or something of another nature...I don't really understand the studies on it. Apparently, this thing can get stretched out from deep dips, bench press, dumbells, or any heavy lifting during the loading stage. I think this is whats going on for me, and my chest is rediculously developed in comparison to the rest of my body.

Do you guys have very developed chests and front delts? Mine blow the rest of my body away, although its not causing any obvious misalignments to the eye. My chiropractor told me to work on rear-delts...which I have been killing them recently and its not doing much.

nab0610

Awards
Not really an overbuilt chest in terms of muscle, but i have a naturally larger bone structure than most people in my chest (I was 44" around last time i checked). You could be on to something there.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
well I have a small bone structure...but my muscles are just much more developed in my pecs than anywhere in my body..its could be an imbalancing causing to much tension on the front of my shoulder

intheflesh

intheflesh

Awards
You might have a tracking issue that only comes up when you put your shoulder in an awkward position... I know people usually get them (including me) on their knees, and I can't seem to find much on shoulder tracking using Google, but the symptoms seem similar. Read up a little bit (Google patellar tracking disorder -- I can't put links in my posts) to verify this isn't what you have, just in case.

Sillinger

Awards
I've been training hard for a few years and haven't really paid much attention to this until recently.

- When I raise my left arm, laterally, once it passes 90* I feel something small kind of catch/jump onto a bone, then on the way down it pops back over.

- If I do narrow arm circles with arm fully extended, no popping. If I do wide arm circles, moving up and backwards, on the way down it will catch and pop loudly at the same point as above.

- If I flex my upper lat, rear delt and then do the above mentioned movements, the pop is much stronger/intense.

- Finally, if I have my arm straight down by my side, and I rotate my forarm and upper arm together inwards, I will feel the pop in the same location.

Now whats weird is nothing pops when doing shoulder presses, bench press, lat pulldowns, curls, front raises, etc....only pops during lat raises and arm circles.

Once again, No pain unless I keep popping it over and over. Its pops every time I do those movements, no exceptions.

If I feel my shoulder with my hand while popping, it seems like the pop is coming right below where my collar bone ends. Almost like the ball is popping/catching on something at the top end of the socket I don't know.

So, should I worry about this? Should I stop doing lat raises? Should I get an MRI? Could my collar bone be too long? Could I have a Labrum tear and not know it? ETC?

Please help!
I have the same problem but my lat muscle pops when I throw a baseball. It dosnt hurt and I only feel it pop when I throw. Is this something you have delt with? Please let me know I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my arm. Thanks