arched back bench press

  1. New Member
    mcssassin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  237 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    46.83%

    arched back bench press


    i work out with a guy who does this. why do this? does it turn the weight in a decline type movement or what? i mean the arch is only about 10 in but if he doesn't do that he cant bench near as much. cant u get hurt from this? are u cheating yourself from gains? i see people in the gym do this all the time i just want to understand it

  2. New Member
    Dyou's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    366
    Rep Power
    276
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    94.21%

    i dont know how it helps but it always helped me when i cant quite get the rep
  3. Advanced Member
    nparisi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    670
    Rep Power
    421
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    62.03%

    you shorten the distance the bar has to travel which allows you to do more weight
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    urbanski's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,195
    Rep Power
    1510
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    5.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    i've been told the extreme hyperextension is bad for your lumbar spine, and i need to protect mine all i can. i keep my hips on the bench and only use weights that let me keep them there.
  5. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Is he arching his back or is he lifting his butt off the bench and kind of bridging? Arching your back helps put your put the weight where you have better leverages and decreases the distance the bar has to travel. When done correctly arch back benching is safer then how most people bench because it allows you to utilize your lats more to help and protects your shoulders. Some people definitely take it a little overboard but in sports like powerlifting everyone else is taking it overboard so why not be competitive with them.

    As for being bad for your back, its not. First the weight is resting on your traps, not your spine therefore you increasing the stress to your spine. Secondly your lumbar spine has a natural arch to it, that you are not extending during an arch bench. The majority of your arch comes the thoracic area of your back. Finally as long as you are not neglecting training your posterior chain, your spinal erectors should be able to stabilize your arch so that you have a very solid base to push from, unlike a lot of flat benchers who kind of shift around all over the bench while pressing.
  6. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.21%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Is he arching his back or is he lifting his butt off the bench and kind of bridging? Arching your back helps put your put the weight where you have better leverages and decreases the distance the bar has to travel. When done correctly arch back benching is safer then how most people bench because it allows you to utilize your lats more to help and protects your shoulders. Some people definitely take it a little overboard but in sports like powerlifting everyone else is taking it overboard so why not be competitive with them.

    As for being bad for your back, its not. First the weight is resting on your traps, not your spine therefore you increasing the stress to your spine. Secondly your lumbar spine has a natural arch to it, that you are not extending during an arch bench. The majority of your arch comes the thoracic area of your back. Finally as long as you are not neglecting training your posterior chain, your spinal erectors should be able to stabilize your arch so that you have a very solid base to push from, unlike a lot of flat benchers who kind of shift around all over the bench while pressing.
    i agree to a point, noramlly arching your back is very bad and could result in injury. but the op is talking about 10", thats a bit much. thats like 1/2 of a McDonalds arch for god sakes. and you did mention one very important thing..."When done correctly"
  7. New Member
    mcssassin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  237 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    46.83%

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Is he arching his back or is he lifting his butt off the bench and kind of bridging? Arching your back helps put your put the weight where you have better leverages and decreases the distance the bar has to travel. When done correctly arch back benching is safer then how most people bench because it allows you to utilize your lats more to help and protects your shoulders. Some people definitely take it a little overboard but in sports like powerlifting everyone else is taking it overboard so why not be competitive with them.

    As for being bad for your back, its not. First the weight is resting on your traps, not your spine therefore you increasing the stress to your spine. Secondly your lumbar spine has a natural arch to it, that you are not extending during an arch bench. The majority of your arch comes the thoracic area of your back. Finally as long as you are not neglecting training your posterior chain, your spinal erectors should be able to stabilize your arch so that you have a very solid base to push from, unlike a lot of flat benchers who kind of shift around all over the bench while pressing.
    yea it is a kinda bridging his but is off the ground too its like hes pushing off his toes. its pretty much much just the backs of his shoulders on the bench like a kinda slight backward crab walk bench
  8. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mcssassin View Post
    yea it is a kinda bridging his but is off the ground too its like hes pushing off his toes. its pretty much much just the backs of his shoulders on the bench like a kinda slight backward crab walk bench
    Well thats just being stupid then lol.
  9. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    578
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    16.62%

    I have seen some big bench arches, and i have yet to here about anyone hurt thier back doing it. Actually proper arching and pinching of the shoulder blades is probably going to save your shoulder long term.
  10. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1094
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    87.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    I have seen some big bench arches, and i have yet to here about anyone hurt thier back doing it. Actually proper arching and pinching of the shoulder blades is probably going to save your shoulder long term.
    i always read this from powerlifters that the huge archs and pinching shoulder blades make it better on the shoulders however powerlifters still nearly always have tons of shoulder injuries???
  11. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    14.43%

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    i always read this from powerlifters that the huge archs and pinching shoulder blades make it better on the shoulders however powerlifters still nearly always have tons of shoulder injuries???
    If you bench heavy enough, long enough about 99% of people will have some sort of shoulder issue at some point. Heavy benching for years probably isn't the healthiest thing for your shoulders no matter how you do it. It comes down to relative safety. Pinching your shoulder blades and arching is the safer way to bench, but it isn't fullproof and doesn't protect you indefinately. Plus powerlifters tend to be rather stubborn and don't back off when they start hurting.
    Even with my current strength levels (I'm not a good bencher), if I did one heavy bench session with a flat back and elbows out, I would likely need surgery on something.
  12. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    i always read this from powerlifters that the huge archs and pinching shoulder blades make it better on the shoulders however powerlifters still nearly always have tons of shoulder injuries???
    Shoulders also get beat up from heavy squatting and lack of upper back work. The majority of actual powerlifters don't run into shoulder problems to often as long as they are training smart.
  13. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    578
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    16.62%

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Even with my current strength levels (I'm not a good bencher), if I did one heavy bench session with a flat back and elbows out, I would likely need surgery on something.

    haha, i know what you mean.
  14. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1094
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    87.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    If you bench heavy enough, long enough about 99% of people will have some sort of shoulder issue at some point. Heavy benching for years probably isn't the healthiest thing for your shoulders no matter how you do it. It comes down to relative safety. Pinching your shoulder blades and arching is the safer way to bench, but it isn't fullproof and doesn't protect you indefinately. Plus powerlifters tend to be rather stubborn and don't back off when they start hurting.
    Even with my current strength levels (I'm not a good bencher), if I did one heavy bench session with a flat back and elbows out, I would likely need surgery on something.
    damn dude good post! i understand. Do you guy this for upper back work i been doing alot of face pulls with the tricep rop and then do stiff arm pulldowns it really hits the upper lats well. Is that good for upper back?
  15. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    14.43%

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    damn dude good post! i understand. Do you guy this for upper back work i been doing alot of face pulls with the tricep rop and then do stiff arm pulldowns it really hits the upper lats well. Is that good for upper back?
    Those are fine for upper back, although I don't ever do any straight arm pulldowns. Face pulls, rear lateral raises, and band pull-aparts are all good for the upper back/rear delts. I think these movements are important to maintain some "balance" across the shoulder joint with all the pressing we do. Long-term I think the upper back/rear delt work will help with shoulder health. I also stretch my pecs, lats, and internal rotators daily. If I don't do this, I start getting impingement problems and alot of shoulder pain.
  16. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1094
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    87.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Those are fine for upper back, although I don't ever do any straight arm pulldowns. Face pulls, rear lateral raises, and band pull-aparts are all good for the upper back/rear delts. I think these movements are important to maintain some "balance" across the shoulder joint with all the pressing we do. Long-term I think the upper back/rear delt work will help with shoulder health. I also stretch my pecs, lats, and internal rotators daily. If I don't do this, I start getting impingement problems and alot of shoulder pain.
    are rear lateral raises like u use the cable and do the soulder raises from behind ur back?
  17. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    14.43%

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    are rear lateral raises like u use the cable and do the soulder raises from behind ur back?
    You can do that. You can also lay face down on an incline bench with DB's and do rear raises that way. You can also sit on a pec dec backwards and push the arms back instead of forward. They will all basically accomplish the same things. It just depends on what you have access to and maybe switching things up occassionally to prevent boredom. Honestly just get the work in for the area with whatever you have available and you'll be fine.
  18. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1094
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    87.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    You can do that. You can also lay face down on an incline bench with DB's and do rear raises that way. You can also sit on a pec dec backwards and push the arms back instead of forward. They will all basically accomplish the same things. It just depends on what you have access to and maybe switching things up occassionally to prevent boredom. Honestly just get the work in for the area with whatever you have available and you'll be fine.
    u seem like u know ur **** so let me throw some more stuff at u lol..

    yea i do those rear flyes sometimes i use light dumbells standing up and do flyes. and i do the pec dec backward thing. I also icey hot my shoulders before heavy benching. Try to give shoulders much time to recover as possible.

    and also since i been doing facepulls and working the UPPER lats, like stiff arm pull downs u know the area RIGHT under ur arm pits, ive felt more spring of my chest when i bench. Also since my wrist are kinda hurting from push press i have been benching with my wrist straight not rolled back and im getting TONS of push power in my bench.
  19. New Member
    xpin2winx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  157 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    102
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    20.74%

    arching in my opinion is good if it doesnt look like your doing a bridge trieing to get out of a half nelson. When i bench i keep my bodys natural arch and when i need to push out the last rep i do a super arch to help me get it up. I actually hurt my lower back for a day arching so much on a reverse pyramid bench session.
  20. Advanced Member
    rxp1997's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    47
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    13211
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    43.08%

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    damn dude good post! i understand. Do you guy this for upper back work i been doing alot of face pulls with the tricep rop and then do stiff arm pulldowns it really hits the upper lats well. Is that good for upper back?
    you could also try seated dumbbell snatches or George Halbert's H-Roll

    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109399

    Personally I am currently using alot of facepulls and kelso shrugs to build the upper back.
  21. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1094
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    87.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by rxp1997 View Post
    you could also try seated dumbbell snatches or George Halbert's H-Roll

    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109399

    Personally I am currently using alot of facepulls and kelso shrugs to build the upper back.

    Alright man got a ? if you know i did the usual Icey hot for the shoulders warm up the shoulders/rotator cuffs..
    Do my Routine which is

    Bench 5/3/1
    Dips 8,5,3
    Incline Dumbells 2 x 10-15
    Decline Chest Press 2 x 10-15
    FLat Chest Press 2 x 10-12
    Tricep Pulldowns to failure

    then could i add FacePulls, Kelso Shrugs and H-Roll say 3 x 10-12 or something? or should i do these with back?
  22. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Dude you have a ton of pressing in that workout. Check out the part of the 5/3/1 manual where they utilize Dave's progressive overload for the assistance work and follow the muscle groups accordingly. When do you do your back, on your military press day or on a day all of its own?
  23. New Member
    codywaters's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    37
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    128
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    4.03%

    Just to reiterate what is being said here, an arched back is fine. It is a little diffrent style then the BB bench and usually takes some of the pressure off your shouldlers. If done correctly, your toes should be directly under your knees,butt not more then 1" off the bench and you should feel all the weight across your shouldr blades. When done correctly your elbows will not go below the bench. If a guy can get his back 10" off the bench following these guidelines then he is some sort of circus freak.... has his ass way to far from the bench or lower neck supporting the weight. stupid!!!

    I began using the PL technique about a year ago after struggling with serious shoulder pain from doing it BB style. Now I can bench 425 x 2 with no pain at all.
  24. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1094
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    87.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Dude you have a ton of pressing in that workout. Check out the part of the 5/3/1 manual where they utilize Dave's progressive overload for the assistance work and follow the muscle groups accordingly. When do you do your back, on your military press day or on a day all of its own?
    umm i do back with Deadlift day... and its not dave tate its Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Also he has 5 x 15 Dumbell Bench as assistance for bench day and its suggested to use light weights. I do 6 sets which is only one extra for chest and use very light weights.

    Squats i do the 5/3/1 recomended then do a 20 rep burnout and 3 sets of leg curls and 3 of leg extentions instead of doing 10 sets combing of leg curls and leg extentions...

    Deadlift 5/3/1 recomended then do face pulls, rope pulls (for middle back) and then stiff arm pulldowns. Sometims do barbell rows if the deads werent too hard.

    I dont do military press cuz it hurts the shoulders i was doign push prss but it hurt the wrists too bad, so i dropped shoulders out all together. Ive just added lifts to each day and replaced some. im not doing anything stupid like adding heavy DB bench with chest and stuff. im doing real light weights. not to mention im eating watever i want and im skipping shoulder day soo.
  25. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    If you look at the manual Wendler takes one of the assistance schemes from Dave, thats the progressive overload I was talking about.
  26. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1094
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    87.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    If you look at the manual Wendler takes one of the assistance schemes from Dave, thats the progressive overload I was talking about.
    hey could i just google progressive overload and understand it?

    and btw my asstance work that looks like alot isnt sh** its more like a circuit training. like 2 45 pound plates on each side for decline press... I usually rep 3 on each side if i do it moderate to heavy w/e u wanna call it. and for flat chest press i do a 45 on each side lol weak i know.. but its more like for a pump to finish it out and get the heart rate up
  27. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    You could probably google it, but the aspect of the manual thats nice is that they lay out each muscle group to target for your assistance. Are you using a machine for the assistance stuff or is it a barbell? If its a machine then that makes more sense, and since your doing the lower intensity stuff then I can see it being more reasonable.
  28. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1094
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    87.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    You could probably google it, but the aspect of the manual thats nice is that they lay out each muscle group to target for your assistance. Are you using a machine for the assistance stuff or is it a barbell? If its a machine then that makes more sense, and since your doing the lower intensity stuff then I can see it being more reasonable.
    5/3/1 bench, Weighted dips are heavy and free weights.
    Incline Dumbells are free weight but light weights like 55,65 pound Dumbells
    Flat Chest Press and Decline Press are Machines

    and for tricep Pulldowns i have this free motion thing where it has two single cables u can move up and down and in or out... i load em up pull em down and lean ovr them and do 1/2 reps then do drop sets down to full ROM...

    ^^this has really gotten my triceps U shape goin as well as it seems to immitate C.G. bench obviously not the same but its pretty damn good without all the stress og C.G bench.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 02:13 AM
  2. deadlift with arched back ok or not ok?
    By tbonesteakboy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 02:02 PM
  3. help with bench press?
    By craze123 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
  4. Do not bench press alone
    By HUGE in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in