not getting muscle sorness

culversguy

Awards
So iv been working out for about three months now and the past month my body doesn't get sore any more im lifting more weight so i know im doing it right but why don't i get soreness its not like i want it or anything hahaha I do take jack3d tho could that be why

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
change what exercises you are doing, which is something everyone should do on a regular basis. if you want you can lay out your current plan, and i'll help you pick alternate exercises

culversguy

Awards
this is my routine for tomorrow

reg bench 145 3x7
tricep(machine) 125 3x6
bicep curl(machine) 140 3x6
ab(machine) 155 3x15
decline situp 3x15
lat pulldown 100 3x6
seted row(bottom grip) 125 3x6

3 games of racket ball afterward

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so i'd substitute in incline presses, seated triceps extensions with ez bar, db curls, leave abs + situps, either change to wide grip or narrow grip on pulldowns (depending on what you were doing) and do db rows instead

culversguy

Awards
thanks im going to give this a try and see if it works thanks

culversguy

Awards
so i tired that workout and still nothing what could be going on

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you're still gaining strength/reps, it doesn't matter honestly. my doms is rather weak - vague soreness, but nothing crippling like it used to be. you could sub your barbell movements for dumbell, etc if you just want to feel doms again. so long as you're progressing weekly, i think doms is overrated.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
or drop weights a little and switch to higher rep range.

b18cyaaa

b18cyaaa

Awards
add in additonal exercises for each muscle group. Switch to free weights instead of machines.

xpin2winx

Awards
the reason i think your not getting sore is that ur not doing enough exercises per body part. If anything jack3d will get you more sore because it helps you push and work harder. Try splitting up chest/shoulders/tris in one work out and back/bis/forearms and then a seperate day for legs thats what i do. And do about 3 to 4 exercises for each muscle group. Since when you work out chest you also workout shoulders and tris, you triceps and shoulders will be blasted when you finish and samething with back and bis. My muscles stay sore for about 3 days. I also recommend you get a workout partner to help you push out a couple more reps.

culversguy

Awards
the reason i think your not getting sore is that ur not doing enough exercises per body part. If anything jack3d will get you more sore because it helps you push and work harder. Try splitting up chest/shoulders/tris in one work out and back/bis/forearms and then a seperate day for legs thats what i do. And do about 3 to 4 exercises for each muscle group. Since when you work out chest you also workout shoulders and tris, you triceps and shoulders will be blasted when you finish and samething with back and bis. My muscles stay sore for about 3 days. I also recommend you get a workout partner to help you push out a couple more reps.
i tried that before and it didnt work and i do push it so far that i feel pain sometimes so i know im pushing it can it be that my body got use to all the amino acids

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
DOMS does not = muscle growth. Are you making gains? If yes, then be thankful you're not sore.

culversguy

Awards
i do see the gains so i guess im just lucky

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I need to overtrain to get even a hint of soreness and only chest can get any soreness.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you stay sore that long at your body weight then you are over training or under eating OR your hormonal/genetic state can't handle that load.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't see how people train without having at least some DOMS. I have trouble getting biceps sore, but everything else always gets sore after a good training session. The things I've noticed that lessen the DOMS is lack of a M-M connection, inadequate eccentric contraction, and, obviously, bad form.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't see how people train without having at least some DOMS. I have trouble getting biceps sore, but everything else always gets sore after a good training session. The things I've noticed that lessen the DOMS is lack of a M-M connection, inadequate eccentric contraction, and, obviously, bad form.
Or years and years of training...

Ill be honest, I have some SLIGHT tightness for the first time in a long time from doing WAY more volume than normal. I am a hit it and quit it type guy - swing the hammer - move the nail - stop swinging the hammer. Less soreness, more frequency

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Or years and years of training...
I have the better part of a decade under my belt and I still get DOMS. IMO, there's no fun in training without pushing every set to the utmost intensity.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have the better part of a decade under my belt and I still get DOMS. IMO, there's no fun in training without pushing every set to the utmost intensity.
I am now sore 7 days a week doing DC. Its amazing, and painful :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am now sore 7 days a week doing DC. Its amazing, and painful :)
That's what I live for. For example, after chest and biceps, I can't wash my hair without my brachialis cramping up.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After doing leg press calves then legs, I just sit in the leg press machine a good 10 minutes because I just can't get up. tomorrow will be chest/shoulders/tris/back again, and front delts and pecs are still slightly sore, particularly to the touch today

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree... but still dont get sore. Can't imagine getting sore actually.

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
increase your reps for a few weeks, and do some german high intensity training, THAT shiat will make you seriously sore!

i also rarely get sore much anymore unless i switch up my workout something serious or do something new.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If building bigger, stronger muscles is the objective, it looks as if extreme DOMS is mostly beside the point.

http://www.ampedtraining.com/articles/doms-muscle-soreness/

"From the looks of things, DOMS and actual muscle growth don’t have much to do with each other."

"All of this would strongly indicate that connective tissues are the source of the actual pain and soreness, not the muscle fibers themselves. The damaging effects of exercise on actual muscle fibers don’t correlate with pain. This is of interest because it means that inflammation and pain don’t indicate damaged muscle fibers per se. There’s tissue damage, and muscle fibers can be damaged along with that, but there’s no actual relation between muscle fiber damage and the pain you feel."

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look, I get what you're saying, some soreness can be an indicator of an effective workout. However, pointing out what lessens DOMS is as valid as pointing out what worsens it... like marathon sessions and blatant overtraining. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sensing a subtle tone of "If you don't get sore as hell, then you don't have proper mind-muscle connection and you're working out wrong." That counter-argument might be "If you get that sore, you're a pu$$y." I feel both arguments are illogical. If one is training for pure hypertrophy, the science suggests that DOMS is not an effective gauge to use. Also, just like everything else in humans, it seems some are far more susceptible to experiencing DOMS than others.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look, I get what you're saying, some soreness can be an indicator of an effective workout. However, pointing out what lessens DOMS is as valid as pointing out what worsens it... like marathon sessions and blatant overtraining. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sensing a subtle tone of "If you don't get sore as hell, then you don't have proper mind-muscle connection and you're working out wrong." That counter-argument might be "If you get that sore, you're a pu$$y." I feel both arguments are illogical. If one is training for pure hypertrophy, the science suggests that DOMS is not an effective gauge to use. Also, just like everything else in humans, it seems some are far more susceptible to experiencing DOMS than others.
For every study/meta-analysis that proves one thing, there is another that refutes it. DOMS is an effective gauge for overload, but not necessarily for hypertrophy. I'm not saying that a session is only productive if one has crippling DOMS, but DOMS has a very significant role in the evaluation of the efficacy of your training.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For every study/meta-analysis that proves one thing, there is another that refutes it. DOMS is an effective gauge for overload, but not necessarily for hypertrophy. I'm not saying that a session is only productive if one has crippling DOMS, but DOMS has a very significant role in the evaluation of the efficacy of your training.
So all my training during my 16 week transformation was ineffective... wow good to know

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So all my training during my 16 week transformation was ineffective... wow good to know
How you concluded that is beyond me. I never said training is ineffective unless DOMS is achieved and now you're just being facetious.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
throw in some drop sets, super sets, forced reps, 21's, to up the intensity!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If building bigger, stronger muscles is the objective, it looks as if extreme DOMS is mostly beside the point.

http://www.ampedtraining.com/articles/doms-muscle-soreness/

"From the looks of things, DOMS and actual muscle growth don’t have much to do with each other."

"All of this would strongly indicate that connective tissues are the source of the actual pain and soreness, not the muscle fibers themselves. The damaging effects of exercise on actual muscle fibers don’t correlate with pain. This is of interest because it means that inflammation and pain don’t indicate damaged muscle fibers per se. There’s tissue damage, and muscle fibers can be damaged along with that, but there’s no actual relation between muscle fiber damage and the pain you feel."
The scientific consensus regarding the issue of DOMS, has about as much accord as global warming amongst climatologists.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The scientific consensus regarding the issue of DOMS, has about as much accord as global warming amongst climatologists.
That may be true, but I'm just pointing out that people can/do gain muscle with experiencing a great deal of DOMS. That cannot be refuted.

DOMS is an effective gauge for overload, but not necessarily for hypertrophy.
Okay, I have a better understanding of what you're saying now.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That may be true, but I'm just pointing out that people can/do gain muscle with experiencing a great deal of DOMS. That cannot be refuted.
I wasn't arguing against your points, I was just pointing out the scientific ambiguity of this subject in general (in response to the posted research).

I don't believe there is a 1:1 ratio of DOMS and hypertrophy at all, I believe DOMS serves a purpose, but I don't know enough about the "function" of DOMS in order to say yay or nay. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with the debate topic, just pointing out the less then black & white scope in which research puts out in regards to the issue of DOMS.

:fing02:

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I still think most doms is caused by lactic acid OR novel muscle trauma (ie higher weight than ever before or completely unique angle/movement). These can be of varying levels of usefulness but I know personally I have a very very very hard time getting any body part sore that I train regularly.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I still think most doms is caused by lactic acid OR novel muscle trauma (ie higher weight than ever before or completely unique angle/movement). These can be of varying levels of usefulness but I know personally I have a very very very hard time getting any body part sore that I train regularly.
Believe it or not, it's not from lactic acid. I'd always believed that myself.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wasn't arguing against your points, I was just pointing out the scientific ambiguity of this subject in general (in response to the posted research).

I don't believe there is a 1:1 ratio of DOMS and hypertrophy at all, I believe DOMS serves a purpose, but I don't know enough about the "function" of DOMS in order to say yay or nay. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with the debate topic, just pointing out the less then black & white scope in which research puts out in regards to the issue of DOMS.

:fing02:
You sure you're a bodybuilder? Because that post made entirely too much sense to me.:lol:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Believe it or not, it's not from lactic acid. I'd always believed that myself.
True. LA dissipates within the muscle within moments. LA eventually inhibits muscle contractions, which is general "failure" in a BBing POV.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My two cents...simple solution: train harder

Increase your weight
Increase your reps
Decrease your rest
Hit more supersets at the end to burn out
Focus on one body part and blast the f*ck out of it

You can do one...two.. or all of the above

If you want drop the racket all and train to thorough muscular failure.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My two cents...simple solution: train harder

Increase your weight
Increase your reps
Decrease your rest
Hit more supersets at the end to burn out
Focus on one body part and blast the f*ck out of it

You can do one...two.. or all of the above

If you want drop the racket all and train to thorough muscular failure.
Ok that still doesn't make me sore... being sore just does not happen for some people... period. I might get slight tightness, I guess a wimp would call it sore, but its not pain.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
soreness is caused by the millions of micro tears caused by either sacroplasmic or myofibrillar hypertrophy

Sacroplasmic is caused by bodybuilding type routines

Myofibrillar is caused by powerlifting/ olympic lifting type routines

So my conclusion based on these facts is that your are not causing enough hypertrophy. Now i dont know how you lift, what your routine looks like, and so on but the fact you say you dont get sore is suggestive of either

A) you have amazing recuperative abilities that i envy
B) you arent causing enough hypertrophy to cause soreness

But if you are increasing in strength, stamina, and size and you never get sore then who am i to say train harder? You are probably far more experienced and seasoned then myself.

But in general, when i encounter an individual in my daily encounters who say they dont get sore, when i lift with them i see THEY dont push themselves. But i cant speak for anyone but them, one day of training at my pace and they magically feel sore.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ha if you were near me I would take that challenge. I definitely have that extra gear BEYOND the extra gear aka decide a weight is going up and even if it won't move it has to move (my favorite spotting tactic is to yell, "you better get it up or its going to break your nose cause I am NOT touching it!).

My size gains have hit a genetic max but this thread it pushing me to try to get sore. I did at least 16 sets for shoulders today and many were rest/pause, drops or supers including a couple pr's in push pressed. I highly doubt I'll be sore but we'll see. I never feel a workout after 1-2 days and could train shoulders and back 3-4 times a week if I didnt know any better.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
nice workout

Haha, well i will also admit the guys who i made sore didnt half even half the physique you do...but i would def be down for a good lift session.

I mean you may just have really good genetics in the recovery area. That wil allow you to get hella freakin strong if you decided to take up powerlifting. Remember if the bar aint bending..then you aint lifting brotha!

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
take 7-10 days off, regroup, then train like an animal.

Make sure you have alot of compound movements.....

I almost always have some soreness.........Doms usually sets in after squats......

My motto- If your not turning purple, sweating and/or gasping for air, then your not working..........

Deads and Squats I instantly begin sweating and gasping....Then I just shoot for purple........

All other workouts I just shoot for sweats and purple........

LOL:)

culversguy

Awards
okay so im going to right this off as i have good recovery because last night i went to complete failure i couldn't even lift a 5lb db last night and now today zero sorness

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
True. LA dissipates within the muscle within moments. LA eventually inhibits muscle contractions, which is general "failure" in a BBing POV.
Actually it is Hydrogen ions that causes the burning and is what inhibits the contraction of muscles. The body actually uses lactate as an energy source.

...I cant post links yet, google muscle burning and hydrogen ions and see for yourself

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Could my tendency to get crippling pumps be triggering a muscle shut off that keeps me from training to actual failure and thus not getting sore? I forget the science behind this but in an article called "deep inlay training" I read about a negative feedback loop associated with pumps v. strength.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The hydrogen ions are a direct result from a decrease in muscular pH due to an increase in LA. In a weight lifting setting (or any power exercise), the body never achieves aerobic metabolism, so saying that the body uses LA as an energy source is a slight misnomer.

There are other factors (e.g. electrolyte balance, hydration), but, for the most part, the pH rise (acids are righ in H+) is what causes muscular failure/burning.