Smith Machine

1. Banned
    Stats
    6'4"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.18%

Smith Machine

How much o fa cheat do you guys think this machine is giving a user.

I've been told that your'e still pressing the weight just with proper form.

I like to use it when I don't have anyone around to spot me and it seems like I can go heavier on it. iIs this just in my mind or perhaps I have more confidence because I know how easily I can re-rack it if necessary.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.87%

you are still pressing the same amount of weight. However, you are not recruiting your stabilizers as the weight is on a set plane. It is good to use as you are trying to break through plateaus but once you feel comfortable you should move to a regular bench press or squat rack. Remember your stabilizers will not be as strong so the amount of weight you can move in a free motion will be less than what you can move in the smith machine.
  3. Banned
    Stats
    6'4"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.18%

So do ya think that the smith machine is better than say a seated bench press or is it all pretty much the same.

As for me I feel more of a pump when I have to use the smith.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  296 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.5%

you know i agree 100% with b18, i dislocated my shoulder late last year and ever since then i had a hard time benchin normal due to alot of tenderness in my shoulder, so i switched to smith machine and i do enjoy it, went back 2 regular bench a few months ago then 2 weeks ago im back to smitch machine.....i have to say i do get a much more obvious pump from smithmachine due to it isolating the chest....
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Its never the same its not as good a workout without a doubt or all bodybuilders would use it. Like he mentioned your not using your stabalizers, i mean i dont know all the specifics behind it but i know benching free weight is much better then smith, just figure how many people use bench over smith, theres gotta be something there for them to do that right or they wouldnt be doing it. If you dont feel confident benching free weight or dont have a spotter its fine but i typically see it more for beginners getting the basic strength and motions down.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

without the stabilizers, you can press more weight. much like my bench numbers are much higher on barbell than they are with dumbell. also, the smith machine bar only weighs 15-25 pounds vs the 45 pound olympic bar.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.03%

For me, I don't have a training partner and sometimes people are real *******s when you ask for a spot, so I decided a while ago not to ask. On that note, if I wanted to do any sort of benching exercise, I HAD to use a Smith Machine. Is it ideal, prob not. However, if you fully concentrate on the given muscle and you give 100% intensity, you can pretty much use anything, including a Smith Machine, and it will yield good results.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.1%

i dont feel that it is about cheating or not. Smith machines can hit your body differently because you can overload a muscle with more weight as well as you are not working your stabilizer muscles. There is nothing wrong with using smith machines, however i do not feel they should be used all of the time.
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.67%

hey guys where can i get some juice online?????
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.67%

hellloo??????????????????????
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.66%

I have difficulty finding spotters too at my gym. I just use the machine and dumbells. That way I kind of get the benefit of both. It's not as good as the barbell with a spot, but my chest at least gets some soreness.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rantorcha View Post
    For me, I don't have a training partner and sometimes people are real *******s when you ask for a spot, so I decided a while ago not to ask. On that note, if I wanted to do any sort of benching exercise, I HAD to use a Smith Machine. Is it ideal, prob not. However, if you fully concentrate on the given muscle and you give 100% intensity, you can pretty much use anything, including a Smith Machine, and it will yield good results.
    This is true if you really focus on contracting the muscles and squezing em you can get a solid workout from anything if you squeeze hard enough lol.
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

also remember that a smith machine bar doesn't weigh the standard 45lbs like an oly bar would... so that is another reason why you can press more...
    SFW and GFH
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.87%

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    also remember that a smith machine bar doesn't weigh the standard 45lbs like an oly bar would... so that is another reason why you can press more...
    x2.... What I did after a layoff of 1 year was work up to 2 plates + 20 lbs on bench & squat and once I hit that mark I switched over to bench press & squat rack with just 2 plates. I feel you are activating more of the muscle as you have to balance the weight during the movement as it is not on a set plane + your using your stabilizers. Anytime your using your chest or legs outside of the smith machine your using your stabilizers.
  15. Banned
    Stats
    6'4"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.18%

Hey thank's guys for all the comments on this thread.. I really love this sight man every thread has help me in some way learn a little more and you the members are definetly full of vast amounts of knowledge

I think that I will just mix it up betwen smith and bb. Asked a guy to spot me today doing decline bench that f****r walked away to talk to some chick right when I was at my faliure rep. Needless to say he got an fist to the stomach and he bought me a Gatorade...Good day at the gym!!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smith machine bar
    By Pipes in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM
  2. smith machine vs. barbell
    By popeye427 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
  3. Smith machine?
    By mcgee1516 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14