Bicep workout?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.13%

Bicep workout?

First of all i only have access to ez bars, regular bars, a hammer curl bar, and dumbbells. I also can do preachers
    when i do biceps i never get them sore. I mean when i work them out they feel all ripped up but they never get sore. I am looking for a workout to really get them sore. I might try doing a light weight with alot of reps but what works for u.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.41%

I got my biceps pretty sore last arm day. I did 4 pyramid sets of barbell curls, then 3x10 on preacher curls, then 3x8 on hammer curls and then threw in 2 sets of machine curls at 20 reps. I also did some upright DB rows which may have helped a little bit.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Lower your normal weight by 10% and concentrate on the contraction at the top of the curl. I mean squeeze the piss out of it, and hold for 3-count. 6-10 reps of that for a few sets should get you sore.
    RTR.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.4%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Monday all I did for bi's is incline DB curls. I did about 5 warmups, first set of 15lbs, then progressed up in weight. I stopped short of failure on warmups, with heaviest warmup to 6 reps, though not failure. My main working set was 35lbs, DC style RP for 10,6, and 4 reps. They are still pretty sore, though not killing me.

Make sure your form is good, I've seen guys use way more shoulders and back swinging the weight up vs using their bi's.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I recently changed up my arm routine. My typical arm routine would consist of about 10 sets for bi's and 10 for tri's. My arms were always tired the next day, but not really sore at all. I'd like to think I have pretty speedy recovery and don't get too sore often. I just have not seen a lot of progress in my arms.

I decided to cut my sets in half. I figure my arms get stressed on back days, and they get a pretty good pump sometimes when I do compound db lifts for shoulders.
    My last bi routine consisted of db incline curls (1)warm-up set, (3)heavier 8-10 rep sets. After incline curls I then hit my bi's with three sets of close grip bb curls. Keeping the bar close to my body, and drawing back my elbows. Putting emphasis on really squeezing the **** out of my bi's at the top of the movement. My bi's burned so bad after each set I had to turn and take a knee.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.53%

Quote Originally Posted by xpin2winx View Post
    First of all i only have access to ez bars, regular bars, a hammer curl bar, and dumbbells. I also can do preachers
    when i do biceps i never get them sore. I mean when i work them out they feel all ripped up but they never get sore. I am looking for a workout to really get them sore. I might try doing a light weight with alot of reps but what works for u.
    Work all the positions; midrange, which would be a standing curl, stretch, which would be, incline db curls, then a contracted position, concentration curls. Work in the 8-12 range and 6-10, add in for your last one or two burnout sets of 15+ reps. Also try adding in some burns or as the guys over at xrep.com called them, x-reps.

And I bet my last buck your not controlling the negative, I bet you just let it drop like most morons in the gym. You want to get sore? Try negative chins with some wt. added for 6-8 secs. each rep.

Now go get sore.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.93%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I know what you mean about them never getting sore. One thing that shocked my bi's and got them pretty sore was increasing TUT (time under tension). Take a full 4 seconds (real seconds, not just counting) to lower the weight, then squeeze it back up, taking 2 full seconds on the concentric contraction.

I was only doing 85# BB curls and 20# DB preacher curls for 4 sets each. Blasted the biceps.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.33%

hope this helps its been working for me

I usually do 4 exercises for 4 sets and 10 reps standing single handed cable curls with a squeeze @ the top. Then i superset close grip cable curls switching right off to hammer cable curls after each set. I finish up with barbell curls or concentration curls if i opt to do the concentration curls i do 15 reps. You can do all the same movement with your bars. I just like the negative from cables.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.24%

My routine leaves them sore the next day:

Seated DB Curls 3x8
    supersetted with
    Seated DB Hammer Curls 3x8
    DB Preacher Curls 3x failure
    Low Pulley Straight Bar Cable Curls 3x 6-8 (around failure)
    High Pulleys Overhead Bicep Curls 50# x failure, 40# x failure, 30# x failure
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.85%

One bicep exercise that can almost always kill my arms is 21's. I always do a full bicep workout and then finish up with 21's.

If you don't know what they are. You can either any bar or dumbells (I found dumbells work really good). Using a lower weight than usual do 7 reps lower half, 7 reps upper half, and 7 full reps. Make sure you keep excellent form and squeeze every rep. With the right weight, I only do one set. If its seems to low I will do more. Usually not more than 2 sets.
  11. Banned
    Stats
    6'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I like to start with chinups, then move to BB curls, then DB curls...because my method is to go heaviest first, then do the lighter lifts, then the lightest.

Here's a good chinup vid:

YouTube - 30 flawless chin ups

One of my favorites is to stack a bunch of 10lb plates on the Hammer Strength preacher curl machine, then do 8-10 reps, take a plate off, 8-10 more reps, take a plate off, repeat. Really burns the bi's at the end of a workout.

12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.12%

Quote Originally Posted by rubberring View Post
    Lower your normal weight by 10% and concentrate on the contraction at the top of the curl. I mean squeeze the piss out of it, and hold for 3-count. 6-10 reps of that for a few sets should get you sore.
    Definitely works for me too. Just act as if there is a pecan in the bend of your arm, crush it when you squeeze out the curl.

Similar Forum Threads

1. New Bicep/Tricep Workout
    By hitstick42esu in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 08:02 PM
  2. Bicep Workout
    By burrisitcold in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM
  3. New bicep workout
    By kokobeware2 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11