How important is a training partner

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.17%

How important is a training partner

I lifted off and on through high school , but recently in late 20's have actually been consistent in quality training. I have been steady for 9+ moths and have lifted alone. was wondering pros and cons of finding a lifting partner. I am self motivated but worry about proper form and feel it may be beneficial to have someone watching my movements.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kylasdaddy View Post
    I lifted off and on through high school , but recently in late 20's have actually been consistent in quality training. I have been steady for 9+ moths and have lifted alone. was wondering pros and cons of finding a lifting partner. I am self motivated but worry about proper form and feel it may be beneficial to have someone watching my movements.
    I don't have a trainer either
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.25%

The pros of a partner are is you can go heavier and not be worried about getting the weight up. You can make sure that your getting a full ROM and such

The cons is talk talk talk talk talk.

That's why I don't have a partner. I like to go in keep my head down and bust my ass
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.17%

Quote Originally Posted by Determined 09 View Post
    The pros of a partner are is you can go heavier and not be worried about getting the weight up. You can make sure that your getting a full ROM and such

That's why I don't have a partner. I like to go in keep my head down and bust my ass
    I workout at home.
  5. jim623

Quote Originally Posted by Determined 09 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I workout at home.
    I do both. At the gym I'm in my own world. No time for the gym, train at home, alwas buying equipment, found a real nice dip, pull up, leg raise rack at the flee market for 45 dollars about a month ago.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.08%

the right training partner can be more beneficial than any steroid or supplement out their....that being said the wrong training partner will ruin your workouts...while lifting my partner and i dont talk other than to motivate each other for a lift or ask how much weight....if you have a guy spending the whole workout talking to girls not spotting you etc...etc...it will just piss you off and ruin your workout....make sure anyone you use has the same goals as you
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.72%

i had an a crappy training partner who did all the talking and would always half ass his way through a workout but it benefitted me by helping me spot on bench and help me move some weights around.
    But now i have an awesome training party who i talk to but not to the point where it interferes with the workout. He makes me push harder than i could, he keeps me trieing to get up in weights cuz he always behind me.
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mooch2321 View Post
    the right training partner can be more beneficial than any steroid or supplement out their....that being said the wrong training partner will ruin your workouts...while lifting my partner and i dont talk other than to motivate each other for a lift or ask how much weight....if you have a guy spending the whole workout talking to girls not spotting you etc...etc...it will just piss you off and ruin your workout....make sure anyone you use has the same goals as you
    I agree in how the proper training partner is an incredible source of motivation and inspiration. I train in the CrossFit program, where we train our workouts in group environments, and the camaraderie you draw by training with others is awe-inspiring... I love it. After years of training on my own, being the guy with the eyebuds on, hat pulled down, never speaking to anyone, I'm all for training with others.

As he pointed out though, you need to find someone with the same goals. If you find that individual, camaraderie through misery is one of the best things you'll come across in life. The bonds made in boot camp are of similiar nature. I know that sounds a bit like a stretch, but you'll see what I mean if you find yourself with the correct partner(s) and environment.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.02%

Having a training partner is so balla. Me and my partner always push each other. I'm a lot smaller than him so I'm alway trying to get close to his weights and he's always having to increase so I can't catch up. Also when it's leg day and I'm on the edge of puking everywhere I try harder to hold it together and finish every set, cause I know damn well that he will lift right up until he pukes and I expect the same of myself.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.02%

I NEVER workout with anyone. Maybe on occasion if i see a buddy at the gym and im halfway done with my routine, i'll spot em or try to motivate em.

For the most part its just me, my mp3 player and Jesus.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  285 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.69%

I typically run solo (95%) but I have a buddy that sometimes spots me when I need it. I also hit the Animal ABC's once a month or so. I can say that the right group of guys will push you far beyond what you can normally do. I've hit most of my 1RM PRs at ABC events.

Similar Forum Threads

1. By far the most important element to training...
    By Rodja in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 06:51 PM
  2. 18 weeks out, Npursuit training partner
    By Ripped1 in forum Pics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 08:08 AM
  3. Bostonian in need of a training partner
    By Beowulf in forum General Chat
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 02:35 AM
  4. Just wanted to introduce my training partner