How important is a training partner

kylasdaddy

Awards
I lifted off and on through high school , but recently in late 20's have actually been consistent in quality training. I have been steady for 9+ moths and have lifted alone. was wondering pros and cons of finding a lifting partner. I am self motivated but worry about proper form and feel it may be beneficial to have someone watching my movements.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I lifted off and on through high school , but recently in late 20's have actually been consistent in quality training. I have been steady for 9+ moths and have lifted alone. was wondering pros and cons of finding a lifting partner. I am self motivated but worry about proper form and feel it may be beneficial to have someone watching my movements.
I don't have a trainer either

Determined 09

Awards
The pros of a partner are is you can go heavier and not be worried about getting the weight up. You can make sure that your getting a full ROM and such

The cons is talk talk talk talk talk.

That's why I don't have a partner. I like to go in keep my head down and bust my ass

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
The pros of a partner are is you can go heavier and not be worried about getting the weight up. You can make sure that your getting a full ROM and such

That's why I don't have a partner. I like to go in keep my head down and bust my ass
I workout at home.

jim623

I workout at home.
I do both. At the gym I'm in my own world. No time for the gym, train at home, alwas buying equipment, found a real nice dip, pull up, leg raise rack at the flee market for 45 dollars about a month ago.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
the right training partner can be more beneficial than any steroid or supplement out their....that being said the wrong training partner will ruin your workouts...while lifting my partner and i dont talk other than to motivate each other for a lift or ask how much weight....if you have a guy spending the whole workout talking to girls not spotting you etc...etc...it will just piss you off and ruin your workout....make sure anyone you use has the same goals as you

xpin2winx

Awards
i had an a crappy training partner who did all the talking and would always half ass his way through a workout but it benefitted me by helping me spot on bench and help me move some weights around.
But now i have an awesome training party who i talk to but not to the point where it interferes with the workout. He makes me push harder than i could, he keeps me trieing to get up in weights cuz he always behind me.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
the right training partner can be more beneficial than any steroid or supplement out their....that being said the wrong training partner will ruin your workouts...while lifting my partner and i dont talk other than to motivate each other for a lift or ask how much weight....if you have a guy spending the whole workout talking to girls not spotting you etc...etc...it will just piss you off and ruin your workout....make sure anyone you use has the same goals as you
I agree in how the proper training partner is an incredible source of motivation and inspiration. I train in the CrossFit program, where we train our workouts in group environments, and the camaraderie you draw by training with others is awe-inspiring... I love it. After years of training on my own, being the guy with the eyebuds on, hat pulled down, never speaking to anyone, I'm all for training with others.

As he pointed out though, you need to find someone with the same goals. If you find that individual, camaraderie through misery is one of the best things you'll come across in life. The bonds made in boot camp are of similiar nature. I know that sounds a bit like a stretch, but you'll see what I mean if you find yourself with the correct partner(s) and environment.

ejl

ejl

Awards
Having a training partner is so balla. Me and my partner always push each other. I'm a lot smaller than him so I'm alway trying to get close to his weights and he's always having to increase so I can't catch up. Also when it's leg day and I'm on the edge of puking everywhere I try harder to hold it together and finish every set, cause I know damn well that he will lift right up until he pukes and I expect the same of myself.

GetSwoll

GetSwoll

Banned
Awards
I NEVER workout with anyone. Maybe on occasion if i see a buddy at the gym and im halfway done with my routine, i'll spot em or try to motivate em.

For the most part its just me, my mp3 player and Jesus.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I typically run solo (95%) but I have a buddy that sometimes spots me when I need it. I also hit the Animal ABC's once a month or so. I can say that the right group of guys will push you far beyond what you can normally do. I've hit most of my 1RM PRs at ABC events.