My three favorite numbers 5/3/1. Log Time!

chuebner

Awards
The other day I finally got around to reading the 5/3/1 manual and said to myself its time to get serious. I found myself feeling that I might be one of those guys doing the same weights and just never progressing the way I should be. Granted I have made progress, but when I look back at the last year, I feel like it should have been much more. So it is time that I get serious and quick messing around with lifting randomly and just get strong.

I have also made it a goal to compete in PL events within the next two years. If I want to do this I realy need to boost the big lifts. I feel like the 5/3/1 program may be my ticket. At my weight I need to get a ton stronger to become competative.

My goal is to post my work outs for myself and perhaps get some insight on what I could be doing differently from others. I plan on going through at least four cycles before re-evaluating my lifts. I will also be posting my diet and hopefully others can pinpoint weak points as well.

My Info:
Height: 6 ft
Weight 236
Age 25
***I am unemployed (Thanks economy!) so the only supplementation I have is food and some Neovar.***

Starting Maxes:
***I decided I would start VERYconservative so I would not stall out too soon.

Military Press: 175lbs
Deadlift: 405lbs
Bench: 305lbs
Squat: 335lbs

*** I stared on August 18th. So the first few days are behind me.

chuebner

Awards
WORKOUT 1 DEADLIFT

Set 1 (65%) 265x5
Set 2 (75%) 310x5
Set 3 (85%) 345x6

Assistance Work
Reverse Hypers and tons of Abs and some arms.
*** Do not remember how my diet went***

chuebner

Awards
August 21st Workout 2 Bench Press

Set 1 (65%) 200x5 *** Its weird to start off this low, but I am commited to this program
Set 2 (75%) 230x5
Set 3 (85%) 260x10 felt very good and pretty sure I can up the weight a little more my second cycle.

Assistance work:
Incline DB Press 90lbs x12, x11, x11
Close grip bench 3 sets
Tricep Pushdown 4 sets and heavy
Overhead row 3 sets
Seated Row 2 sets and very heavy

Meals:

Meal 1: 2 cups oats w/walnuts and Peanut Butter and 2 scoops whey
Meal 2: 1 cup quina and meatless crumbles with one can tuna
Meal 3: (Post workout) 2 protein bars and gatorade w/waxy maize
Meal 4: 1 Chicken Breast with soybeans, blackbeans and rice
Meal 5: 1 serving blueberries, 1 serving strawberrys and 2 scoops whey
Meal 6: 2 scoops whey and 1 serving peanuts.

So far I have been loving this program. I still feel like I am working my butt off, but not doing a million sets. I am thinking of doing drop sets after my last big set...anyone care to comment???

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Follow the program how Jim has it written out for a few months before you start adding stuff like drop sets. Anyways I think doing drop sets after would just be to much volume for that given movement and may prevent a good recovery time after training. Good luck on the 5/3/1 though, I am going to be starting it in the next few months myself and I am looking forward to it a lot.

chuebner

Awards
Thanks man... i will let those go then. Is there any big assistance work you feel that has help you progress??

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Well I have been training Westside style for about a year and a half, the assistance stuff that has made the biggest differences for me are Reverse Hypers and Pull Throughs for your lower body, Pulldown abs and band oblique stuff for you abs, and high boards, dips, and rows for upper body. Usually whenever my lats and abs get stronger my three big lifts go up substantially.

allstar504448

allstar504448

Awards
can you post a link to where you got the 5/3/1 manual?
and dude if that 260x10 means 10 reps, there is no way your max is 305
i typed it into a calculator and it gave me 345

chuebner

Awards
can you post a link to where you got the 5/3/1 manual?
and dude if that 260x10 means 10 reps, there is no way your max is 305
i typed it into a calculator and it gave me 345
You have to order it through elitefts.com....It is only 20$ and its a great read. Its an eBook. And yeah it was for ten reps, i decided to start really conservate with my maxes. I haven't maxed out in quite awhile and have come off a little break in lifting.

chuebner

Awards
Work Out 3 Squat

***I realized something today. I want a refund from Golds Gym. After I graduated in July, I couldn't go to the schools gym anymore. I went to Golds for the past two months. I am still unemployed, so I decided to go to a cheaper gym. First of all the gym is amazing and half the prize. Second of all all their weights are iron. Old schoool. They just feel heavier. Golds uses those plastic kind. Anyway. When I was at Golds I was squating as much as a could for like 20-25 reps. Around 245. Today, was a different story. Maybe it was an off day. But I realized how different these weights "felt"

Heres the workout:

Set 1 (65%) 200x5
Set 2 (75%) 250x5
Set 3 (85%) 285x8-probably could have gotten one maybe two more.

See...to me that just doesnt add up. My five for 250 just felt very heavy.

I did some cardio, pull ups, leg curls, and abs.

Meal One: 2 pieces ezekiel bread with 2 scoops whey
Meal Two: 2 cups oats, Peanut Butter, serving walnuts, and a bannana-**** WAS DAMN GOOD, and a peanut and edamame stir fry w/brocoli and onions in a seasame ginger sauce.
Meal Three: 1 Cup quina, 2 cans tuna, and meatless crumbles.
Meal Four: Post workout- 2 protein bars, and a green tea shake w/blueberries n strawberrys
Meal Five: Serving of Blackbeans and rice with soybeans, 2 scoops whey
Meal 6: 2 scoops whey have around 9pm

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i love this program i feel the hardest part is the. 5/3/1 for squats. 5 x 5 for deads and bench the 3 x 3 in the hardest.

u should check out my log im doing the same thing however i use my actual max for my deadlift reps. i use 95% of my max for bench and 90% for squats and im working on depth. I love this program so far

chuebner

Awards
i love this program i feel the hardest part is the. 5/3/1 for squats. 5 x 5 for deads and bench the 3 x 3 in the hardest.

u should check out my log im doing the same thing however i use my actual max for my deadlift reps. i use 95% of my max for bench and 90% for squats and im working on depth. I love this program so far
I ll def follow along, maybe pick up some ideas. I think when I finish my first cycle I will then figure out my real maxes. And find a good average. I've enjoyed it so far and hoping to add a lot of strength.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
I ll def follow along, maybe pick up some ideas. I think when I finish my first cycle I will then figure out my real maxes. And find a good average. I've enjoyed it so far and hoping to add a lot of strength.
thanks man, and i know what your talking about for the weights. I HATE how all public gyms bench presses suck. i like benching out the power rack, and i always do my bench first and do my assistance at the gym only negitive is i have to take a 10 minute break between the bench and next workout. lol.

but i have the oppoiste probelm as you. at golds the plastic weights feeel way heavier when i workout with the old school weights its alot easier to lift. However golds is great for me during school for 35 a month. It was built within the last 5 years. management is cool about doing any lifts. I always take my shoes off during DLs. Most of all the locker room is clean so you can **** and feel comfortable haha, or you can drink your workout shake and watch espn on the tvs i rather throw the extra 10 for that.

but yea i think 95% maybe even 100 percent of ur max you would be able to handle, but I am doing hytrophy lifting after my bench main set.

chuebner

Awards
thanks man, and i know what your talking about for the weights. I HATE how all public gyms bench presses suck. i like benching out the power rack, and i always do my bench first and do my assistance at the gym only negitive is i have to take a 10 minute break between the bench and next workout. lol.

but i have the oppoiste probelm as you. at golds the plastic weights feeel way heavier when i workout with the old school weights its alot easier to lift. However golds is great for me during school for 35 a month. It was built within the last 5 years. management is cool about doing any lifts. I always take my shoes off during DLs. Most of all the locker room is clean so you can **** and feel comfortable haha, or you can drink your workout shake and watch espn on the tvs i rather throw the extra 10 for that.

but yea i think 95% maybe even 100 percent of ur max you would be able to handle, but I am doing hytrophy lifting after my bench main set.

Damn 35$ a month...thats amazing. Def cannot find that anywhere around here. I miss my school's gym...hopefully Ill get a job so I can go for free again. I went to USC and when our fitness center was built it was the most expensive in the country. It had everything and I reallly mean everything. Even down to dodgeball courts and multiple wall climbing walls

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
usc as in southern cali? or south carolina.. and yea 35 a month they let u take ur shoes off grunt yell puch the walls. they got flat screens everywhere. You can bench of the floor, you can slam weights.. as long as ur not being a complete **** your good.

chuebner

Awards
Workout 4:::::: Military Press

Set 1 (65%) 125x5
Set 2 (75%) 140x5
Set 3 (85%) 155x10

Assistance Work
Chins bw, +25, +45 for 50 reps total
Dips bw, +25, +35 for 52 reps total
Lateral Raises sets of 20
Db Shrugs 100lbsx20 for a couple of sets

Meals for the Day

Meal 1: 2 cups oatmeal, walnuts, and pb 2 scoops of whey
Meal 2: Edamame and Peanut stirfry w/brocoli, one can tuna
Meal 3:Chicken
Meal 4: Post workout 2 scoops whey and waxy maize
Meal 5: Chicken w/brown rice
Meal 6: protein bar and 1 scoop whey

*** I think my maxs may have been a bit low. I could have even done more than 10 reps on my last set of presses. I just might add 5lbs to each lift this next week.

http://www.buddyhead.com/gossip-124/

Check out that link, its the 6 youtube videos WOW, not sure how to post the actual vidz, but man I want that kids aggression when I hit the gynm.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea i would say higher the weight do 95% of ur maxes man thats really helped me and also helps me from over training. Cuz ur aass will be so tired u will want to leave the gym lol

chuebner

Awards
*** Well not only do I need to really pump my numbers up. Ive noticed the gym has two different barbells. My numbers may be really weird, b/c I havent been paying attention to what bar I have been using. There is even a 100lb one for deadlifting....WTF....I have no idea what bars I have been using all together....Pretty Discouraging. I would have never thought to even chec...pretty irritating.

Another things I would like to point out is how weak I felt today for Bench. I decided to go the PP's Testosterone Recovery Stack route for an Hdrol PCT and do not feel like I have kept very little gains.

For instance I was getting 275 for ten easily before today I just got 7. This could be just an off day or I can even blame the misuse of barbells. But it just didn't feel right. While I wouuld say that I never really "felt" shutdown on the cycle and I did feel great on Sustain Alpha, its just not enough to keep the gains. At least it was a learning expirience. Def looking into the whole pulsing theory. And then hitting a hard PCT just to keep the gains.

With that said. Here is my Deadlift day workout for the second week:

Set One (70%) 285x3
Set Two (80%) 325x3
Set Three (90%) 365x6

Did abs and rack deads after wards

chuebner

Awards
Bench Week 2(8/28)

Set One (70%) 215x3
Set Two (80%) 245x3
Set Three (90%) 275x7***Very discerning set for me

I then did Bent over Rows 245lbs 5x5, Incline DB for 90s 3 set of 12, since I got that I will move up to the 95s. I then did seated rows and then close grip bench. I then superset tricep pulldowns and curls.

While bench crapped out on me. The rest of my workout went great.

***One question if I switched gyms and all they had was a smyth machine..how much should I add to each exercise?? I might be getting a job at a new school and they have a gym for staff/faculty for free but it just has a smythe machine.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
smith machine is worthless bro id honestly try to cut out some other things for a gym membership.

chuebner

Awards
smith machine is worthless bro id honestly try to cut out some other things for a gym membership.
Yeah I mean it wouldn't be my first choice...but I may have to for a month or so. At least until I get settled. But who knows, they may have a rack that I just didn't see, i just saw it from the outside....

Hows everything going with you??

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea hey maybe just cycle of the 5/3/1 and go for toned and deffinition etc.. but things are gettin rough here lol i been running cycles without deloading and using 100% of squat and push press max and 95% of bench and 90% on squat.

I feel like the Push Press is adding great size to my shoulders but its weakining my bench. its also KILLING my wrists both feel strained. so im cutting them out. I just need to find a way to add shoulders in my routine now. Also i think for deloading week i might take a whole week off.

but as far as shoulders go any suggestions? i was seeing great results doing shoulder press 8,6,4,2 on shoulder press and arnold press and then doing upright rows and DB swings but i cant add that in on a powerlifting routine. maybe a day for biceps and shoulders? or should i stick with 3 days a week and work shoulders on back day ? or chest day? i need help with that.

chuebner

Awards
I guess instead of a push press you can do a standing military press (arnold press??). The one with a barbell. I really have never done those before, but once I started, I noticed a lot of my lifts going up. Now I love doing them. There are probably a hundred different variations and things you could do differently, but if there is one constant in my shoulder routine its that exercise.

chuebner

Awards
Week 3::::::::::::::::::::
First Cycle
Weight 235,-3lbs since I started, not sure why though.

Deadlift Day
Set 1: (75%) 305x5
Set 2: (85%) 345x3
Set 3: (95%) 405x3

Stoked I did three reps for the last set, haven't been able to go that high in while.

Bench Day
Set 1 (75%) 235x5
Set 2 (85%) 265x3
Set 3 (95%) 305x4 very happy to squeeze out 4 sets. The most I ve done on bench was 315x6, so I should be back up to that soon.

Bent over Rows 255 for 5 sets of 5-used straps on last two sets.
Incline DB Press 95lbs 12-10-10
Seated Row and then did some closehand presses.
***Very solid workout

Squat
Set 1: (75%) 250x5
Set 2: (85%) 285x3
Set 3: (95%) 315x7-8. I could have done another rep here

***I will no be doing a deload week since I started my numbers pretty low. So far so good. Looking forward to adjusting things and really hitting some high numbers on my 2nd cycle

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea i been doing mini deloads like every couple weeks take 3-4 days off... I think if ur smart u can avoid the deload for a couple cycles like 3 x 5 week u can do alot of assistance work. 3 x 3 cut it back some 5/3/1 dont wats recomended then u can max next week and 3-4 days off then start back again or do the deload and up the assitance work but not tooo much.

chuebner

Awards
Yeah I just felt like I can do another cycle thats more demanding and then do my deload week. I am really pushing to get my bench and squat over 400lbs before end of December.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea im really trying to max
deadlift 455 and bench 270-275 by the end of october and do a 21 day animal cut cycle and lean up b4 thanksgiving break from school!