Weight sled training

blindcycling

Awards
I have been eyeing a Prowler Sled for about 3 years now. I found a cheap version locally here in the DFW. I went ahead and bought it. It kicked my ass the first few times that I used it. I literally puked the first day.

Have many people here used a sled in their training?
Did you stick with the sled training?

I am so pumped about the first few workouts. I do mainly old school type workouts, dips, pullups, tire and sledge hammer, dead lifts. This brought the conditioning into my workout that I havent had before.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
The prowler is definitely not for the weak at heart. I use one 1-2 times a week and I can say my conditioning is better that ever before. There is a good amount of variations we use with it, but probably the hardest is doing prowler suicides.

blindcycling

Awards
I remember pushing the big wooden sled when I was in highschool. It was tough, but there was always 4 other guys pushing with you. This is brutal, there is no help, there is no cheating, there is just you and the weight.
For pure conditioning I dont think that there is a better devise.
All I have done is 20 yard sprints so far, suicides would be crazy!!!! This sled has a ring to attach a rope or harness to do dragging exercises too, havent tried those yet.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
generally speaking dragging the sled is an easier work out than pushing it for me, but that could be because I have pretty weak quads. Does your's have upper and lower handles you can use like the Prowler or is it just upper posts?

blindcycling

Awards
Yea it has tall uppers, and a lower 'T' shaped bar in front. The tall uppers are tough, the lower bar is brutal. You have to get down low and really drive the sled. Their website is strengthsled.com I picked it up from a craigs ad for $175. I just couldn't afford the prowler.
how much weight are you using? I am pushing with 2 45 lb plates and it is killing me. I am doing 8 to 10 - 20 yard sprints down and back.

blindcycling

Awards
I tried more weight, but after 3 sets I was done. So I am trying more sets to increase my conditioning. Like I said I am impressed with the workout I get. And I thought I was pretty fit before!! Haha this showed how weak I am

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
we usually use 1-2 plates per side depending on what we are doing that day. Usually go for 5 200ft trips.
edit: i just seen the picture of the sled you have, so we would use 2-4 plates total for our stuff.

blindcycling

Awards
Pmiller,
How are you rotating it in your workout? Do you think 2X/ week is too much?

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
I have been eyeing a Prowler Sled for about 3 years now. I found a cheap version locally here in the DFW. I went ahead and bought it. It kicked my ass the first few times that I used it. I literally puked the first day.

Have many people here used a sled in their training?
Did you stick with the sled training?

I am so pumped about the first few workouts. I do mainly old school type workouts, dips, pullups, tire and sledge hammer, dead lifts. This brought the conditioning into my workout that I havent had before.
I've been wanting one of these for awhile now, what a WO that is! I use to do a ton of tire sprints and parachute pulling. Killer wo's and need to get back into them.

Sledgehammer/tire hitting is awesome to say the least. What a WO that is.

Oh, anyone out there have the econo Prowler, is it just as good as it's big brother?

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
Pmiller,
You could just do all out sprints, then say second WO do interval sprints. The great thing with this is that you can do pulls and the different level of height with the push, etc. Very cool indeed!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Pmiller,
It depends how the rest of your training is set up. We usually only use ours once a week but that is because we have two lower body training days a week. If we use it multiple times a week we usually only do sprints with it one of the days and the other day is more of a slow but heavier day. Most of the time for our prowler work we will use 140lbs total and do a 100ft low handle sprint followed by a 100ft upper handle push for anywhere from 5-10 trips.

Also the econo prowler does the job just as well as its big brother, all your really missing out on is an extra set of low handles which really is not a big deal at all.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've been wanting one of these for awhile now, what a WO that is! I use to do a ton of tire sprints and parachute pulling. Killer wo's and need to get back into them.

Sledgehammer/tire hitting is awesome to say the least. What a WO that is.

Oh, anyone out there have the econo Prowler, is it just as good as it's big brother?
I have the Econo and yes it is just as good......not much difference at all from what I can tell.