best workout for upperbody mass and size? - AnabolicMinds.com

best workout for upperbody mass and size?

  1. New Member
    keton09's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    83

    Reputation

    best workout for upperbody mass and size?


    So I have always done a powerlifting styled workout. But now with all the muscle I have acquired I would also like to look big as well. What do yall think the best workout is for upperbody size? I have read a little bit about a DC training system, but i do not necessarily know if it would be for size or not. Ha Im kinda new at this stuff, only 18. So any and all suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you.

  2. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3260

    Reputation

    DC is the all out best for size, but if you don't know how to push yourself, or how to eat, your gains will be lackluster.
  3. New Member
    keton09's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    83

    Reputation

    Well, I am currently going through the fire academy and have a job after that, but i can usually find a good hour to hour and a half to work out a day. My diet usually isnt the best, I try to eat lean chicken and steak and vegtables 4 small meals a day, sometimes one of the meals has to be a grilled chicken fast food because of my tight schedule and I do take at least 4 scoups of protein daily, plus a multivitamen. But like I said Im relatively new to everything. So wut would u suggest as a routine, as a result of my schedule and eating habits?
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3260

    Reputation

    if you're fairly new to lifting, i think a 5x5 program might be better for you - it builds up your foundation a bit faster than DC training, focusing on strength instead of size. additionally, being stronger on a pound for pound basis will help you get through fire academy (remember that more muscles mean more oxygen required). stick with the 5x5 for now, and after academy, maybe DC training would suit you. that's my opinion though.

    you can google/yahoo search "5x5 riptoe starting strength" or "5x5 billy star" for a few of those routines.
  5. New Member
    keton09's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    83

    Reputation

    After looking at this workout, it is basically all over strength, but right now i really would rather be working on upper body strength and size. I like the whole 5x5 idea, but is there another routine like this one that focuses on the upper body?
  6. New Member
    rantorcha's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    286

    Reputation

    If you ask a question like this, you'll get a different answer from probably every person who answers. However, I have had pretty dramatic results from Power/Rep Range/Shock. It provides your body with a different type of growth-inducing workouts each week.

    Check it out...
  7. New Member
    Hoopie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    184

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rantorcha View Post
    If you ask a question like this, you'll get a different answer from probably every person who answers. However, I have had pretty dramatic results from Power/Rep Range/Shock. It provides your body with a different type of growth-inducing workouts each week.

    Check it out...

    Like RA stated, you will get many different answers with this question. All of the workouts offered to you are good workouts. What you need to do is some reading up/educate yourself on them and decide what is best for you.
    For me i've done quit a few different workout programs. Soem with results some with none. Power/Rep Range/Shock has by far given me the best results. Here is a link to the article surrounding the program

    http://www.prrstraining.com/aboutprog.htm

    Give it a read that way you understand how it works...

    Biggest thinkg is educate youeself
  8. New Member
    pinchharmonic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    214

    Reputation

    i like 5x5, but for a noobie you might butcher the form especially when handling weights in the 5 rep range near failure.

    if I could do it all over again, I'd do the core exercises, with minimal isolation, in the 12-15 rep range, if not into the 20s. I'd try to do a 3-day split, making sure not to work a muscle group if it's still sore.

    this gives you a high rep # to perfect your form a get a the coveted mind muscle connection. a 3 day split with 1-2 days of rest in between will also give you some good frequency as well, which is one of the foundations of DC training as you often hit the same bodypart more than once a week, which I believe in strongly.
  9. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by keton09 View Post
    After looking at this workout, it is basically all over strength, but right now i really would rather be working on upper body strength and size. I like the whole 5x5 idea, but is there another routine like this one that focuses on the upper body?
    is it that you are looking for any routine where you dont have to work legs?
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  10. New Member
    keton09's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    83

    Reputation

    Okay, so Im not as new to lifting as yall might be takin it as. Im 18, I do not know many things about it, such as supplements and different workouts, but I believe I have a nice core strength for all my lifts. I bench 345, squat 500, and deadlift 550. But these weights were all achieved by a powerlifting stylistic workout. High weight low rep. So, I have not achieved much size and bulkyness. I would like to get some size on my muscles, while also achieving strength gains. So, What do you think would be a good workout now knowing some of my background?
  11. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3260

    Reputation

    given those stats, i'd say jump into DC. if you can hit those numbers, you know exactly how you should push yourself to fully utilize the DC template.
  12. New Member
    keton09's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    83

    Reputation

    Nah easy, I dont have a problem with workin legs. I just work my legs relatively hard every day at my Fire Academy Training. But, if there is a workout I would absolutely love and it had legs incorporated into it, I probably would still run it.
  13. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    given those stats, i'd say jump into DC. if you can hit those numbers, you know exactly how you should push yourself to fully utilize the DC template.
    yeah, and strength will just continue to go up anyhow
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  14. New Member
    REEVESDIESEL's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    38
    Posts
    485
    Rep Power
    308

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by keton09 View Post
    Well, I am currently going through the fire academy and have a job after that, but i can usually find a good hour to hour and a half to work out a day. My diet usually isnt the best, I try to eat lean chicken and steak and vegtables 4 small meals a day, sometimes one of the meals has to be a grilled chicken fast food because of my tight schedule and I do take at least 4 scoups of protein daily, plus a multivitamen. But like I said Im relatively new to everything. So wut would u suggest as a routine, as a result of my schedule and eating habits?
    I go to school in Jan. and cannot wait! How's it goin for you so far? I hear the EMT is the most difficult. You already have a job lined up? WOW, that's great man! One county away from me they just fired like 30-35 fire-fighters. Times are tuff here in South West, FL. They're not hiring, that's for sure.
  15. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3260

    Reputation

    firefighters are always hiring in california. especially if you have big feet to step out those forest fires
  16. New Member
    REEVESDIESEL's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    38
    Posts
    485
    Rep Power
    308

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    firefighters are always hiring in california. especially if you have big feet to step out those forest fires
    Hmmm. Cali here I come perhaps. Lived in Sac town as a kid. But no kidding, you guys are always getting hammered with those fires! We get the hurricanes though. Actually we have a tropical headed this way. My friends and I have parties & such.

    A few yrs. ago while living in Vero Bch. we got hammered 2 x in 3 weeks. **** was crazy.
  17. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3260

    Reputation

    i was in tampa the year charley, francis, and ivan came by. sucked. from 2002-2005 i was there, but 2004 was wretched. no power for a week in the summer. bleh. i'll take my earthquakes.
  18. New Member
    keton09's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    83

    Reputation

    ha.. I cannot relate really to any of that. I live in texas.. Its just hot as F*ck
  19. New Member
    keton09's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    83

    Reputation

    Oh, and No reeves. I dont have a job lined up already.. :/ I just have a job after I get out everyday... Sucks pretty bad. ha We go to the academy 8 to 4, then I have to go straight to my job.. Its no fun, but you gotta get that money right? ha
  20. New Member
    REEVESDIESEL's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    38
    Posts
    485
    Rep Power
    308

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    i was in tampa the year charley, francis, and ivan came by. sucked. from 2002-2005 i was there, but 2004 was wretched. no power for a week in the summer. bleh. i'll take my earthquakes.
    Yah man, we had no power tks to those storms as well. No power and summer, it was the WORSE! On the beach side in a place called Johns Island some rich cats had their entire house backed up with a generator! These are mansions! I'm talking huge ass ones that are in the center of the house surrounded by bricks. It's a sight to see. Lucky bastards.

    LOL, 1/2 hr. ago I took 2 scoops of Jacked, anyone tell. SHEET, I'm JACKED.
  21. New Member
    bkprice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    44
    Posts
    296
    Rep Power
    260

    Reputation

    You can try EDT training, it worked well for me and a few buddies. Charles Staley created EDT system soley for mass.
  22. New Member
    REEVESDIESEL's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    38
    Posts
    485
    Rep Power
    308

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bkprice View Post
    You can try EDT training, it worked well for me and a few buddies. Charles Staley created EDT system soley for mass.
    A link?
  23. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13731

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    if you're fairly new to lifting, i think a 5x5 program might be better for you - it builds up your foundation a bit faster than DC training, focusing on strength instead of size. additionally, being stronger on a pound for pound basis will help you get through fire academy (remember that more muscles mean more oxygen required). stick with the 5x5 for now, and after academy, maybe DC training would suit you. that's my opinion though.

    you can google/yahoo search "5x5 riptoe starting strength" or "5x5 billy star" for a few of those routines.
    nuff said........

    reppage.......
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. best workout for size and strength?
    By paul3371 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
  3. The Best Workout to increase Arm Size??
    By Inchamery in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 07:38 PM
  4. BigCasino's Workout - Good or Bad for size?
    By BigCasino in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in