how come nfl players and shot putters jump so friggin high compared to other athletes

NFLforNBA

NFLforNBA

Awards
why NFL players and shotputters jump so high when they weigh like 250-300 pounds.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
cause alot of that is muscle. its like why my friend's escalade can go so much faster than my sh*tty nissan sentra. The Escalade weighs about 2-3 times as much probably but its got a V8 (jacked muscle) and I only got a V4 (punny)

NFLforNBA

NFLforNBA

Awards
so if i weigh 250 pounds playing high school baskteball will i be unstoppable muahahahahhahahahhahaahahha and then ill be 280 pounds of muscle and 20 pounds of fat and jump 45 inches so much power. imagine a 300 pound beast with a 4.0 40 time playing basketball. So much power its so fun thinking about it.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
their genetic beasts. they do it for a living. theyve been working on specific exercises every year for many years with professionals telling them how to tweak this to get another inch out of their vert. their genetic anomalies.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For NFL players, I imagine its due to the sheer amount of squatting and running they do. After all that hard work, their calves/quads/glutes are strong enough to propel them pretty high into the air.

As for shotputters, I've got zero frame of reference for how high they can/can't jump.

I'd be interested to know what the average vertical leap is in the NFL, NBA, MLB and AVP (volleyball)

NFLforNBA

NFLforNBA

Awards
NBA 28 inches NFL 32 inches MLB 25 -30 inches AVP 27 inches. Look at a guy named Kelly baggett with his 42 inch vertical from weightlifting. It took him about 7 years to get his squat triple his bodyweight

NFLforNBA

NFLforNBA

Awards
The fast twitch fiber thing is not as important as how many motor units they can fire. The average human only fires about 50 percent of their motor units a trained athlete can fire about 75-80 percent and all humans in life or death situations can fire 100 percent of them but that is enough power to tear your muscle from the bone and those people are like moms who lift cars off their child.

texastweeter

texastweeter

Awards
  • Established
Crazy, your car has an inline 4 (I4) not a V4; NFL, I am surprised that the NFL has the highest vert and not the NBA or AVP, also, I can squat tripple my body weight, as can a LOT of good powerlifters

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Crazy, your car has an inline 4 (I4) not a V4; NFL, I am surprised that the NFL has the highest vert and not the NBA or AVP, also, I can squat tripple my body weight, as can a LOT of good powerlifters
Right inline 4, whatever, 4 cylinders.

NFLforNBA

NFLforNBA

Awards
I just found out that the NFL tests your vertical leap as a success meter because it determines how much force you can put out in a short amount of time. Also o heard that once most people can squat that much it makes it your base of strength and pluometrics will make you able to use it