Can someone tell me the proper form for lateral raise?

  1. Can someone tell me the proper form for lateral raise?


    I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong. I saw a video today of a guy doing them with his shoulder back. Is this the right position to have your shoulders? If so that would explain one of the reason I was having trouble.


  2. Always have your palms facing the floor and with the elbow/wrist in one plane. One trick is to keep a lat spread during these to minimize cheating.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  3. I just seem to struggle with these more than any exercise and the tight neck feeling came back with them. This feeling has gone away for the other exercises but not this one. I was wondering though like I said if one of the reasons could be that I don't have my shoulders back.
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Always have your palms facing the floor and with the elbow/wrist in one plane. One trick is to keep a lat spread during these to minimize cheating.
    Rodja, do you feel it's important to have the little finger elevated higher than the thumb (pouring) at the top of the movement?
    RTR.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by rubberring View Post
    Rodja, do you feel it's important to have the little finger elevated higher than the thumb (pouring) at the top of the movement?
    Yes, but the movement doesn't have to be exaggerated. Only an inch or two higher will suffice.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  6. wow my neck is really tight now, either I'm doing them wrong or I'm having some kind of exertion pain.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    wow my neck is really tight now, either I'm doing them wrong or I'm having some kind of exertion pain.
    why not lower the weight and practice?

  8. I'm only lifting with 10lb db handles. Keep in mind i've never really did this exercise before and the only lateral delt work I've done is upright rows and I'm only doing about 15lb with dbs with those.

  9. use cables to begin. follow the directions above but with a D handle and cables. bring the cable behind your back to your glutes on the downward movement in order to work your medial deltoid and take pressure off the anterior

  10. Quote Originally Posted by TravisG View Post
    use cables to begin. follow the directions above but with a D handle and cables. bring the cable behind your back to your glutes on the downward movement in order to work your medial deltoid and take pressure off the anterior
    one problem I have to workout at home. no license or car yet

  11. I've had the same problem at times. And for ME, it is that I am using too much traps and not concentrating on the delts doing the work. The only way to get better at it is to keep practicing. Maybe even do them twice a week (especially if, like you said, you haven't done much lateral delt work before).

    Another trick to try is to keep your arms bowed during the movement and as you bring them up, try to keep your elbows higher than your hands. That way you can squeeze the side delt hard at the top.

    Give it a try and write back! Good luck

  12. Quote Originally Posted by rantorcha View Post
    I've had the same problem at times. And for ME, it is that I am using too much traps and not concentrating on the delts doing the work. The only way to get better at it is to keep practicing. Maybe even do them twice a week (especially if, like you said, you haven't done much lateral delt work before).

    Another trick to try is to keep your arms bowed during the movement and as you bring them up, try to keep your elbows higher than your hands. That way you can squeeze the side delt hard at the top.

    Give it a try and write back! Good luck
    Sort of worked was able to make it to 15 reps and then my neck got tight.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How to Do Dumbbell Lateral Raise Correctly
    By 50Carbs in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 03:53 AM
  2. Please check my form (lateral raise db in front/scaptions)
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
  3. Lunges, proper form ?'s
    By freefall365 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 06:01 PM
  4. proper form for lat raises
    By bigzach1234 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 06:18 PM
  5. proper deadlift form
    By phasar in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Log in
Log in