Bowlfex SelectTech Dumbells (1090)

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone ever used these? I know they are pricey ($599), but they are much cheaper than if I bought separate DB's.

Really, I'm just curious as to their quality and how they hold up to regular use. I've got a $500 gift card to ****s Sporting Goods (thanks mom and dad!), and I've been eying these for a couple years, but never wanted to spend the money on them.

I've got everything else in my home gym... multiple barbells, squat rack, bench, etc. The only thing lacking are a nice selection of DBs (all I have are 15, 25, and 35lb).

Thoughts?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I know i saw at ****s theres interchangable dumbells like 150$ each they go from 10-50 probally not what ur looking for but thats what i have i forgot what there called i bought a pair cost me 300$ they work well for what i do. As far as bowflex goes if you have the cash to get em i dont see why not there solid dumbells.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
no dude dont buy em. by ur avatar i doubt ur gonna need dumbells that only go up to 50 pounds. Doing Rows,tri extentions, curls etc5-40 pounds wont come in handy would it?

lowboy

lowboy

Awards
The 1090's ones go from 10-90lbs and the 552's 5-52.5lbs. I have the 1090s and like them. check out craigslist I bought mine for 350 used.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Thats why i said i doubt the 10-50 would be good for him i was just mentioning it to him.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
What ever happened to just good old db handles?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
What ever happened to just good old db handles?
Great idea... I actually forgot I had some of those. I will need to go get a bunch of smaller plates (10's mostly). Using DB handles are awkward with the larger plates (25's+).

I do worry about my clips failing with that much weight on the handles, though. It's not like a BB where it is essentially used horizontally. DBs take a little work to get into position.

Anyone here use DB handles w/ any appreciable amount of weight? Say 80+lbs?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
After some deliberation, I decided to go with the 1090's. I thought about stocking up on a lot of smaller plates and using my DB handles, but shipping on weight plates is outrages (was gonna be $100 for 200lbs. of plates). And the local ****'s doesn't stock a lot of individual plates... they do have a lot of sets (BB + 300lbs, etc.), but that's not what I needed.

They should be here sometime in the next week. I'll come post back after a couple weeks of working out with them.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've got the BowFlex DB's

love em

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I've got the BowFlex DB's

love em
I've heard nothing but good things about them (other than the high price tag). But, if you were to buy 10# through 90# DB's, that would cost you upwards of $2,000, not to mention the space it would take up.

I've switched gears this week. I've been doing full-body routines with fairly heavy weight (explosive movement) for a long time - probably too long. I'm switching back to the classic BB split utilizing TUT principals. I've already humbled myself during my first workout this morning (chest, tris). 4 second negative, 2 second pause at the stretch, 1 second push, no pause at top. Every rep takes about 7 seconds. I only got 6 reps in at 185 on incline.

I guess the point of saying that ^ is that I think the 90# will last me quite a while with this kind of lifting.

I'm pretty excited about getting them. I may invest in the DB power hooks to hang them from a BB instead of muscling them up every set.