raising the heels on squats dangerous?

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
I keep hearing varying opinions about this, you know, where you place some 2.5s behind your heels as you squat.. some say it makes the knees travel too far forward and that is dangerous, and others say that is takes the glute/ham out of the picture and you can't squat properly or as much. Then others say you recruit the quads better, etc.

what are your thoughts?

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I don't think its really a good idea. If you want your heel raised a little, buy some olympic weightlifting shoes as most of these have a small heel. If you are squatting with a little wider stance and trying to target the glutes and hamstrings a little more, get a flat soled shoes like a Chuck Taylor.

rammy222

rammy222

Awards
I wouldnt do it. If you wanna hit more of the quads then just do front squats..

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I don't think its really a good idea. If you want your heel raised a little, buy some olympic weightlifting shoes as most of these have a small heel. If you are squatting with a little wider stance and trying to target the glutes and hamstrings a little more, get a flat soled shoes like a Chuck Taylor.
don't read past the above.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
I have experimented with it. puts more stres on your knees and well it just sucks to me. I wear wrestling shoes for squats and deads. I didn't ever feel more stress on my quads, just my knees, and I couldn't squat as much. I wouldn't do it If I was you, unless you wanted to experiment with finding the weight it takes to blow your knees out.

shortstop1616

Awards
I agree with hvylifter... definitely puts more stress on your knees. If your heels constantly come off the ground when squating then you should use them. If they don't than don't use them.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
I agree with hvylifter... definitely puts more stress on your knees. If your heels constantly come off the ground when squating then you should use them. If they don't than don't use them.
Another note on that. If they are coming off the ground, experiment with stance and bar placement. Try slightly wider stance and different angles outward of your toes. Generally for me, the wider my stance, I gotta slightly move the bar lower on my back or I feel as I will go forward. However I try not to go too low, I used to put it way down my back and I feel it was making me put too much stress on my spine in a sheering manner. Basically, even if you are tight as hell, there should be a magic spot for you, where you can have good form and a good workout. Just experiment with light weight, and slowly work up. If it still feels good as you go up, continue, if it starts feeling off, backup, and reconsider the situation.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would avoid it in standard Squat stance and ROM. Vince Gironda had a squat variation known as "Sissy Squats", where you ultimately raise your heel; however, this is not a back squat. I despise the fact they are called 'Sissy Squats', because they are an exercise from the seventh layer of hell.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
This is gonna be a purely individual thing...for me squatting standing on a plate brings in noticeably more quad recruitment and does not hurt the knees. If you wanna try this I would recommend getting some olympic shoes although I dont personally have a pair it does sound the safest thing :) something else you should try it front squats on a smith perhaps Im just weird but I get a lot of quad involvement on these without straining the lower back as much. Good luck either way :)

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
just slipur shoes off and do ur reps and put em back on after, i do it all the time. i highly doubt even if ur doign 20 reps a gym worker is going to come backthere and see you with your shoes of and say something.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
I would avoid it in standard Squat stance and ROM. Vince Gironda had a squat variation known as "Sissy Squats", where you ultimately raise your heel; however, this is not a back squat. I despise the fact they are called 'Sissy Squats', because they are an exercise from the seventh layer of hell.
Dude I love sissy squats and end my quads with them after squats.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
i have no prejudice.........

I love all squats equally.

ATG, Sissy, Front, Back, Hack, and the quarter or half i see all the time-------lol on the latter.

Squats till your face is purple and about ready to pass out...........!!!!!!

I dont believe in the wood under the heel.......

TarHeelTrainer

Awards
Plates under the heels (or any type of heel elevation) are typically used to increase ROM in the calf due to muscle tightness. You're better off buying an $8 foam roller and doing some myofacial release work...your joints will thank you later.

If you want more quad emphasis, move to front squats. That's the beauty of "meat & potatoes lifts," they don't need tweaking. If something's out of whack, its probably you.

codywaters

codywaters

Awards
i have no prejudice.........

I love all squats equally.

ATG, Sissy, Front, Back, Hack, and the quarter or half i see all the time-------lol on the latter.

Squats till your face is purple and about ready to pass out...........!!!!!!

I don't believe in the wood under the heel.......

THATS WHAT THE F K IM TALKING ABOUT!!! I LOVE SQUATS! I LOVE THEM ALL AND IN MASS PORTIONS!!!

As far as plates under the heals go, most all these comments above have validity. It is really a personal call. I only use this technique on front squats. It does put more pressure on my knees, but I feel it more in my middle and upper quad. I also feel like I get a better ROM out of it. I would never go over 75% with that technique... personally.

Try it all at lower weight and see how it feels. We all respond differently to each type of lift, find what works best for you and be thankful for all the knowledge you have access to here on AM.