stiff leg dead lift

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to start doing a stiff leg lift. I saw some pictures on how to do it. In these pictures, the guy is on a platform. What would be the reason for that? Also, I read awhile ago that when doing a deadlift the bar should be mid shin level, is it the same for the stiff leg deadlift? Also I wanted to know some things to avoid.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to start doing a stiff leg lift. I saw some pictures on how to do it. In these pictures, the guy is on a platform. What would be the reason for that? Also, I read awhile ago that when doing a deadlift the bar should be mid shin level, is it the same for the stiff leg deadlift? Also I wanted to know some things to avoid.
use low weights at 1st. go slow and controlled. keep head in line with body. keep core tight. again, go slow

M

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
The platform allows for a greater stretch for the hamstrings.

Make sure to keep the bar as close to your body as possible when lifting and lowering.

J

jim623

Until you get use to doing these, I'd say stay off the platform. Pulling it from the floor is hard enough. Just like regular deads, keep your back straight and ease it up. Be prepared, your gluts WILL be sore for a few days.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Until you get use to doing these, I'd say stay off the platform. Pulling it from the floor is hard enough. Just like regular deads, keep your back straight and ease it up. Be prepared, your gluts WILL be sore for a few days.
good advise and very true

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i've been doing these a year and i still barely touch the ground, with no box. you dont need one unless you have very limber hams and need the extra stretch

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Do I have to put plates under the bar to make the bar mid shin level? Also, do I have the bar touch the ground between reps like with the deadlift?

J

jim623

Do I have to put plates under the bar to make the bar mid shin level? Also, do I have the bar touch the ground between reps like with the deadlift?
You can just go off of the floor. I go down about an inch from the floor to keep the tension on the muscles. Play it by ear, go down as far as you can without injuring yourself. You'll stretch out over time and go down farther if need be.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Keep the hamstrings flexible. It is key to getting good ham activation. Heavy weight is not needed on these. As you get stronger gradually increase weight. These are great for lower back too.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I must have done something wrong, because my lower back is killing me. Also, when I did oblique leg raises the other day I hurt my lower back some how. Right above my gltes hurt after the leg raises. I also did the leg raises on my bed. I don't know if that matters or not.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you need to keep your balance on your heels - lifting your toes slightly to get that stretch. For god sake take it easy on the weight to begin with and warm up properly.

Squats are a good warm up exercise for SL Deads

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Just be sure to keep the back straight. Saw some dad and his son doing SLDL tonight and i wanted to cry. Their backs both bend so much i could feel their future pain.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
you need to keep your balance on your heels - lifting your toes slightly to get that stretch. For god sake take it easy on the weight to begin with and warm up properly.

Squats are a good warm up exercise for SL Deads
I did squats before hand and I was only using 50lb the bar plus 2.5 on both sides. I think its because I didnt keep my glutes tight.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you could do good mornings as a warm up/pre-faitgue s/set - that's nother option for you

S

shortstop1616

Awards
You dont need a platform. If you have great hamstring flexibility and you can keep your back straight through the whole range of motion than you may need it. If you cant feel the stretch in your hamstring becuase you are so flexible than its ok... otherwise dont use it

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
IMO, most people lack flexibility to touch the ground w/ the plates when performing SLDLs, let alone off a platform. Unless you have great flexibility, the bar shouldn't be traveling much farther than the knee - maybe the shins if you have decent flexibility. You don't HAVE to go low to get the stretch in the hamstrings. Keep the back straight, knees tight. Most people, including myself, end up lowering the bar further by rounding the back or bending the knees, whether we realize it or not.

Think of it like this... if you were to lean over and attempt to touch your toes, you would probably round your back in order for your hands to actually reach your toes. This is unnecessary and dangerous. Keeping the back straight (head up) try again. You will notice you get the SAME stretch without putting your back in a dangerous position. You probably won't be able to physically touch your toes this way, but that isn't the point of the stretch. The point is to stretch the hams, and that can be done without rounding the back. Same goes for SLDLS. Don't worry about how low the bar goes... pay attention the the stretch in the hamstrings.

J

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
If you do these as a ham only move or a deadlift accesory your going to be doing them a little differently. Also, look into Romanian deadlift, that is what most people are really describing. SLDL's by definiton is a deadlift with stiff legs. Romanian deads are probably more of what you are looking for.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
If you do these as a ham only move or a deadlift accesory your going to be doing them a little differently. Also, look into Romanian deadlift, that is what most people are really describing. SLDL's by definiton is a deadlift with stiff legs. Romanian deads are probably more of what you are looking for.
Honestly, RDL's are my favorite. They take a lot of the leg drive out of the picture and hammer the posterior chain more than standard DLs, IMO. Combo of front squats and RDL's is pretty much money.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
As I posted in my Routine thread I was thinking of just doing goodmornings since they would be easier for me

J

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, RDL's are my favorite. They take a lot of the leg drive out of the picture and hammer the posterior chain more than standard DLs, IMO. Combo of front squats and RDL's is pretty much money.
yeah, they seem to accomplish more of what people are looking for when it comes to hamstring development. You can overload your hams much better.

allstar504448

allstar504448

Awards
I must have done something wrong, because my lower back is killing me. Also, when I did oblique leg raises the other day I hurt my lower back some how. Right above my gltes hurt after the leg raises. I also did the leg raises on my bed. I don't know if that matters or not.
lol if your lower back is killing you im betting you did them right