Anyone can answer, opinions needed

rdugan95

rdugan95

Awards
Today I woke up tired and felt tired throughout the day, with a mild headache that has been constant through the entire day. On wednesday I benched 200X4 and was very excited, usually I peak out at 200X3 so I figured I'd up the weight to 205X3 today but fell short on the 3rd rep. Kinda got under my skin, but also made me step back and ask myself if i'm over-training on bench. I love benching, if I could I'd bench 2 times a day. Right now I'm benching Mon, Wed, Fri. Should I cut it down to Mon and Fri?

So....

1. How many days a week should I be benching?

2. I just finished a 3 month cycle of Creatine, how long should I wait to start a new cycle with Kre-Alkalyn?

3. I max around 225-230 on bench this is my routine I do every mon, wed, fri.
140X5 155X3 165X3 180X3 200X3 180X3 165X3 155X3 140X3 then 170X10. Any suggestions?

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
I would definitely decrease the amount of work you are doing. Try switching up the angles to avoid repetitive joint injuries. Not sure what your goals are? If it is strength look up westside, they bench twice a week, one day for max effort, one day for dynamic/speed.

rdugan95

rdugan95

Awards
thanks dude i just watched their videos, really informative and these dudes are all MASSIVE

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
Yeah definitely big dudes, and be sure you do the prehab exercises, they really help. I used a modified westside and my bench went from 385 to 420 in 3 months, good stuff.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Your way overtraining... I only bench one time a week. (monday)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today I woke up tired and felt tired throughout the day, with a mild headache that has been constant through the entire day. On wednesday I benched 200X4 and was very excited, usually I peak out at 200X3 so I figured I'd up the weight to 205X3 today but fell short on the 3rd rep. Kinda got under my skin, but also made me step back and ask myself if i'm over-training on bench. I love benching, if I could I'd bench 2 times a day. Right now I'm benching Mon, Wed, Fri. Should I cut it down to Mon and Fri?

So....

1. How many days a week should I be benching?

2. I just finished a 3 month cycle of Creatine, how long should I wait to start a new cycle with Kre-Alkalyn?

3. I max around 225-230 on bench this is my routine I do every mon, wed, fri.
140X5 155X3 165X3 180X3 200X3 180X3 165X3 155X3 140X3 then 170X10. Any suggestions?
1. Unless there is a specific reason for you to be benching three days a week, then I would say you're overdoing it, especially if you're not training your other body-parts equally. Once or twice a week is enough for Chest work.

2. You do NOT have to cycle creatine. Cycling is personal preference. I personally use creatine EVERY day ALL tear round (and yes, on non-resistance training days as well!)

3. I suggest that you take a serious look at your resistance training programme. If that is all you are doing then you're completely unbalanced. There needs to be a purpose behind your training programme; if you cannot justify it (and logically; not just because you "like benching") then it needs a makeover (don't be like many males who just go in and do either chest and/or arms and/or abs; that's no way to develop a decent physique).

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Many people only bench once a week, i like too bench twice a week if your muscles can handle it why not obviously if you are sore do not bench but, Theres a few things to keep in mind maybe your not going hard enough that you can bench 3 times a week if thats the case up the intensity a little and see if you really can go 3 times a week at same weight each time if not reduce to 1 or 2 days. If you can god bless you because you have amazing recovery but really push yourself thats what gets the best results pushing past your comfort zone but trying to avoid injury as much as possible. Most people only do 1 or 2 times per week because there body cant handle it, its all about how you feel theres no set way to do anything or there wouldnt be new workout routines emerging every day.

rdugan95

rdugan95

Awards
Thanks for all the great input so far, my bench is a great bench for flat but I would say it's sub-par for incline benching. What do you guys all think I should do to increase my bench? I love the idea of putting up more weight and love seeing myself grow so this is why I love benching so much. Any suggestions? Different exercises?

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I wrote this in your other thread... and your bench isn't great... I wouldn't consider any bench great unless its double your body weight... and maxing at 225 at 185 is extremely low.

A chest routine of mine for example would be somethin like this

Flat bench

Warm up 185 1x10

then 5x5

I start at my second set from the week before...

so

1x5 at 255
1x5 at 260
1x5 at 265
1x5 at 270
1x5 at 275 (usually miss one rep on this set)
Then next week I would start at 260... and get 275 and miss 280

Then i go to DB flat bench 3x10
i would do two sets of same weight and move up 5 lbs

then incline bench 5x5 same as flat bench.. just move up 5 lbs everytime

db incline 3x10
same as flat db's
then 3x10 dips

and 3x10 flys

thats my chest routine... my bench goes up 5-10 lbs a week so it works for me... might over train some... but I do this once a week (on monday) and its great. I'm progressively overloading my chest... I personally love this routine.

You should prol post the rest of your body routines because if your workouts arent balanced you arent goin to gain **** on bench. Do you hit back hard? What about triceps?

rdugan95

rdugan95

Awards
Thanks a lot dude, I'll try this one out, probably break it into 2 workouts so I can bench twice a week, I'm not sure if i could do this all in 1 day.

rdugan95

rdugan95

Awards
Last night I began my first routine with the Westside Barbell exercise and it was a great workout, my chest is as sore as the first time I ever did bench, lot of great pumps last night

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
My chest legs back always get sore after hitting a workout

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
Be sure to use other exercises than only bench on your max effort days, rack presses and floor presses really helped me out alot.

shortstop1616

Awards
You really have to work on incline. And although my incline is weaker than my flat by alot. I see the best results when I really focus on the incline stuff. Plus I have change up my lifting routine and have been following the vastmuscle.com and its been a great change for me so far

allstar504448

allstar504448

Awards
on the flip side, sheiko advises benching 3x a week
just throwing it into the forum, im aware that sheiko bench workouts are unique in that they focus on volume instead of intensity