Bench Press Grip

  1. Registered User
    jsheely's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Newport RI
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    194

    Bench Press Grip


    How do you determine your optimal grip for BB Bench Press for best overall development?

  2. Registered User
    Logo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    32
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    144

    I've always felt that your forearms should be perpendicular to the ground when your humorous is parallel to the ground.
  3. Registered User
    allstar504448's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    138

    Quote Originally Posted by Logo View Post
    I've always felt that your forearms should be perpendicular to the ground when your humorous is parallel to the ground.
    ^^yes
    take the empty bar and bring it down and make your forearms perpendicular to the ground to find out
    too wide and you risk tearing a pec, too far in and you sacrifice strength by reducing your chest's exertion
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    ffmedic32's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    36
    Posts
    214
    Rep Power
    177

    Quote Originally Posted by allstar504448 View Post
    ^^yes
    take the empty bar and bring it down and make your forearms perpendicular to the ground to find out
    too wide and you risk tearing a pec, too far in and you sacrifice strength by reducing your chest's exertion
    Closer grip and you will use more tricep like you should. Wide grip places alot of strain on the shoulders. Do a search on youtube there are several videos of some training from Westside Barbell training sessions that will point out all kinds of pointers to improve your bench.

    I guess the question is are you looking to bench big weight or just looking to build muscle.
  5. Registered User
    ffmedic32's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    36
    Posts
    214
    Rep Power
    177

    Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic32 View Post
    Closer grip and you will use more tricep like you should. Wide grip places alot of strain on the shoulders. Do a search on youtube there are several videos of some training from Westside Barbell training sessions that will point out all kinds of pointers to improve your bench.

    I guess the question is are you looking to bench big weight or just looking to build muscle.
    Here I will save ya the time here is the video I am speaking of
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP3g-I9Sf9s&feature=PlayList&p=0BE7 6B73C1969F3E&playnext=1&playne xt_from=PL&index=19"]YouTube - westside bench press[/ame]
  6. Registered User
    jsheely's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Newport RI
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    194

    Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic32 View Post
    Here I will save ya the time here is the video I am speaking of
    YouTube - westside bench press
    That was a really helpful video. thanks a lot man, but apparently i've been benching very poorly
  7. Registered User
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    313

    Looks like I've been benching correctly lol
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. reverse grip bench press
    By manosduras in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 08:03 PM
  2. Exercise besides a close grip bench press??
    By planetfuzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
  3. Close Grip Bench Press-Wrist rolling
    By ReaperX in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 10:06 AM
  4. what grip for bench press?
    By lazerss9 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 10:08 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in