Quad cramp on bench

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quad cramp on bench

recently, my right thigh starts to cramp when im benching. any ideas here? i do squats before benching but that isn't the cause because this has happened before when the bench press was used as my first lift in past routines.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Answers

Drink more water, eat a banana, lol potassium, maybe stretch a lil. Try doing bench first, maybe your getting such a pump in the quad that its just ready to lock up and when you start flexing it to stabilize your bench press, it gets pissed and goes on lockdown. Has happened to me plenty of times, usually thou, its a damn spot in the middle of by back, or right under my shoulders... Hard to focus but ya gotta work through it.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Answers

is it upper quad? Might be a hip flexor.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

FLAW - yeah it is upper quad...

HVYLIFTER - nah, its not from squats because i have benched first in past routines and still get the same cramp.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Answers

I think it may be a hip flexor. Try the stability ball bridge. Try this exercise for warming up legs. It also warms up the core and stretches the hip flexors at the same time.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4938608_st...-exercise.html

After your done do these 2.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFle...HipFlexor.html

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Quadriceps/SideLying.html

Make sure you do a regular 5-10min warm up before you do any of these including the bridge. If you have trouble doing any of the stretches let me know. Let me know how it feels on your quad. Also notice how you wear you wear a belt. Does the front dip down?
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    I think it may be a hip flexor. Try the stability ball bridge. Try this exercise for warming up legs. It also warms up the core and stretches the hip flexors at the same time.

Make sure you do a regular 5-10min warm up before you do any of these including the bridge. If you have trouble doing any of the stretches let me know. Let me know how it feels on your quad. Also notice how you wear you wear a belt. Does the front dip down?
    the bridge looks awesome. i do those other 2 stretches in my stretching routine, before i lift. i alwaysstretch before i lift, but ill add the bridge at the end of my stretching - thanks man. i'm not wearing a belt at the moment b/c im on the madcow 5x5 and im only in the 3rd week so im not really pushing heavy weight, as of yet.

will let u know how those bridges work out
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

take you legs up off the ground when you are benching. you are pushing off to much when you bench if your quad is crampin. i bet you had your back arched too when this happened. feet off the ground. lets you focus on your chest more too. your weight wil go down too. but who cares if you have a huge chest.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pine Bark Extract Relieves Muscle Cramp And Pain
    By yeahright in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 10:40 PM
  2. Horrible headaches after muscle cramp...
    By drivehard in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 12:04 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 11:16 AM
  4. TTA cramp avoidance Coc-ktail...
    By JonesersRX7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 12:08 PM
  5. Calves that cramp
    By wranglergirl in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8