1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

How is my deadlift?

After looking at my video I think I need to have the bar closer to my body as I go up. I just sometimes have a tendency to hit my knees on the way down. What do you guys think of my form?
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.28%

Really pull the shoulders back at the top of the rep. I almost exaggerate it with a small back extension. You could benefit from more leg....keep it as close as possible and keep your chest "big" through out the whole movement
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

Lol since I just finished my Deads routine, here we go. With the weight, looked like 95 or 115, form looked good, back stayed arched and legs were used throughout. Like Kriston said thou, at the top, really lock it out, as in do a somewhat rearward shrugging motion, its kind of like a groove. At least if you ever wanted to do a powerlifting meet, ******* is essential for a green light. The bar hitting your knees is normal to me. You wanna keep that bar tight to your body. It keeps your back in a more leverageous position and when you go heavier, your delts and rotators aren't gonna be pushing it away. I have had scraped knees plenty. 20 years worth. Just make sure when you go heavier, that your form stays solid. I really hurt myself when I was 23, I was going for a 595 triple rep set, and on the way up on second rep, I floundered my back a little, and it hurt like hell. Finished workout, next day and for next 6 months was hard to move around and workouts consisted of baby weights like 225 was heavy as I went. For several years, everytime I moved up in weight, seemed like 400 was the magic number and it would put me down again, like a pinched nerve right above my buttocks. One time I was doing like 405 or 455 and it hit me, I dropped to the floor. Laid there for 45 min, literally. Then had to use my upperbody and the power rack to pull myself up to a standing position to limp home. FORM FORM FORM. If you go heavier and your back rounds, drop weight. Concentrate and use a belt, good abdominal support. Deep breath, shove it as deep into your stomach as you can, slight pressure on the bar, back already arched, legs bent, explode your legs keeping back locked. You will notice a slight lean forward from the legs exploding sometimes, just keep the back locked and pulling up, and soon as your clear the floor 6 inches, your back will start more upright and then bam, you have it. IF your back rounds, DROP THAT SHYT!!! Promise, I used to think I was invincible, lol then I got shot with a 38 and found out I wasn't bullet proof, then I started getting the injuries, had plenty. Lucky enough to win alot before, and might start competing again if I ever quit dieting. Lol I'm rambling. Deff, keep your back locked. Good form thou, and just add the ******* at the top and your good.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.08%

Quote Originally Posted by hvylifter View Post
    Lol since I just finished my Deads routine, here we go. With the weight, looked like 95 or 115, form looked good, back stayed arched and legs were used throughout. Like Kriston said thou, at the top, really lock it out, as in do a somewhat rearward shrugging motion, its kind of like a groove. At least if you ever wanted to do a powerlifting meet, ******* is essential for a green light. The bar hitting your knees is normal to me. You wanna keep that bar tight to your body. It keeps your back in a more leverageous position and when you go heavier, your delts and rotators aren't gonna be pushing it away. I have had scraped knees plenty. 20 years worth. Just make sure when you go heavier, that your form stays solid. I really hurt myself when I was 23, I was going for a 595 triple rep set, and on the way up on second rep, I floundered my back a little, and it hurt like hell. Finished workout, next day and for next 6 months was hard to move around and workouts consisted of baby weights like 225 was heavy as I went. For several years, everytime I moved up in weight, seemed like 400 was the magic number and it would put me down again, like a pinched nerve right above my buttocks. One time I was doing like 405 or 455 and it hit me, I dropped to the floor. Laid there for 45 min, literally. Then had to use my upperbody and the power rack to pull myself up to a standing position to limp home. FORM FORM FORM. If you go heavier and your back rounds, drop weight. Concentrate and use a belt, good abdominal support. Deep breath, shove it as deep into your stomach as you can, slight pressure on the bar, back already arched, legs bent, explode your legs keeping back locked. You will notice a slight lean forward from the legs exploding sometimes, just keep the back locked and pulling up, and soon as your clear the floor 6 inches, your back will start more upright and then bam, you have it. IF your back rounds, DROP THAT SHYT!!! Promise, I used to think I was invincible, lol then I got shot with a 38 and found out I wasn't bullet proof, then I started getting the injuries, had plenty. Lucky enough to win alot before, and might start competing again if I ever quit dieting. Lol I'm rambling. Deff, keep your back locked. Good form thou, and just add the ******* at the top and your good.
    damn 595? I'd be happy with just 500. The only thing I worry about sometimes is my scoliosis especially during military presses. Even though it's mild, I really wish I had a straight spine and get scared sometimes it's going to interfere with my dream of getting big.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

first, on cell replying, forgive any spelling. look, you do what you can, thats all any of us can. Never back down from fears, your body will talk to you. just listen. when i was 16 i was in a car wreck and told i had a point in my neck that was weak or that most of my flexability was from that spot, it seemed to move more. Um, i'm fine. Also told me I had 6 lower back vertabre instead of the normal 5 and that it would be a weak spot the rest of my life. Um i went on to set state, national and world records. I got a vid on my profile from back when I was thick lol. I was 20 or 21, went up ta 860. So don't feel discouraged. you probably have a huge potential, who knows, in 20 yrs could help your back. advance as you can incrementally and listen to your body. it will tell you whats up, go or no go. Form I believe will prevent 95% of injuries.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.53%

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    damn 595? I'd be happy with just 500. The only thing I worry about sometimes is my scoliosis especially during military presses. Even though it's mild, I really wish I had a straight spine and get scared sometimes it's going to interfere with my dream of getting big.
    Derrick, when i first did a deadlift i was 24 and could not do 275 with decent form, and could not budge 315. I am hopeing to pull high 600s and with a little luck 700 this year. And that is with some breaks in between. Work hard and be consistent and you don't have limits. And listen to the above advice, it is very good.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.18%

there are websites that layout form on exercises such as deadlift and squats.

what stood out to me was that your arms were not perpendicular to the ground. Your shoulders need to be directly over the bar. The bar is suppose to move in a straight line up and down, keeping your arms perpendicular is vital for this movement. Also, visualize pushing your feet into the ground when lifting and ******* at the top.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.53%

Quote Originally Posted by MoTiV View Post
    there are websites that layout form on exercises such as deadlift and squats.

what stood out to me was that your arms were not perpendicular to the ground. Your shoulders need to be directly over the bar. The bar is suppose to move in a straight line up and down, keeping your arms perpendicular is vital for this movement. Also, visualize pushing your feet into the ground when lifting and ******* at the top.
    Your shoulders are suppposed to be behind the bar when you deadlift and you are supposed to be on your heels. That is why it is called a pull.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

When I start a rep, I am pretty close to over the top of the bar, arms straight, thou soon as I start pulling, I am pulling back and I'm sure at the beginning I'm prob over the bar, but bout half way up my shoulders prob start going further back and at ******* I'm way behind the bar shoulder wise. Deff pushing from the heels, whole time deff pulling back thou the whole time keeping bar tight.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.18%

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    Your shoulders are suppposed to be behind the bar when you deadlift and you are supposed to be on your heels. That is why it is called a pull.
    We've learned differently, I've never heard the mechanics of the deadlift described like that before. If anything I've seen some suggest shoulders slightly over the bar with shoulder blades directly over the bar.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.53%

We've learned differently, I've never heard the mechanics of the deadlift described like that before. If anything I've seen some suggest shoulders slightly over the bar with shoulder blades directly over the bar.
    When you do that you have a tendency to pull like you are starting and olympic lift, when you preach behind the bar you stay behind the bar the whole lift and "pull"
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.18%

When you do that you have a tendency to pull like you are starting and olympic lift, when you preach behind the bar you stay behind the bar the whole lift and "pull"
    Yea, most of my knowledge comes from olympic lift progression training. I'm porbably just used to it now because if I'm too far back it doesn't feel right and my upperback isn't engaged as much making the weight harder to lift and causing more lower back strain. I get crazy insane back pumps so I try to engage my entire back as much as possible to reduce lower back strain.

When you deadlift what angle are your thighs relative to the floor? I notice taller guys sometimes do what looks to me to be a cross between a traditional deadlift and a stiff leg deadlift.
  13. Banned
    Stats
    6'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.23%
    Achievements Posting Pro

When you deadlift what angle are your thighs relative to the floor? I notice taller guys sometimes do what looks to me to be a cross between a traditional deadlift and a stiff leg deadlift.
    As a tall guy, I find the "sumo" style deadlift to be the easiest for me. Spreading the feet apart gets me lower to the ground, closer to the bar. Added benefit is it hits the hamstrings very nicely as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo2jvGa8UYw"]YouTube - sumo deadlift 585x7[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8p9U2BRUJE&feature=re lated"]YouTube - 640 Sumo Dead Lift[/ame]
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.08%

I'm still confused on the whole belt no belt deal. All video that I've seen people are wearing belts. I've heard some people on this form suggest belts and some say that they are unneeded, which makes me even more confused. Would a belt help me learn proper form, as in forcing my back to be straight, or should I learn without a belt?
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.68%

After a disc injury I will never use a belt again. . .
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.52%

Am I the only one that thinks that maybe popping some more weight on there might help correct his form? I know it sounds odd and the wrong thing to do but it would make you keep the weight close to your body and lock it out stronger at the top... Looks like that is too light for you causing the problems..
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.53%

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks that maybe popping some more weight on there might help correct his form? I know it sounds odd and the wrong thing to do but it would make you keep the weight close to your body and lock it out stronger at the top... Looks like that is too light for you causing the problems..
    This can be true, my form does not get right until about 405.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.53%

I'm still confused on the whole belt no belt deal. All video that I've seen people are wearing belts. I've heard some people on this form suggest belts and some say that they are unneeded, which makes me even more confused. Would a belt help me learn proper form, as in forcing my back to be straight, or should I learn without a belt?
    Thier is nothing wrong with or without a belt. If you are going to wear it don't use it until you get to your heavy sets. It is what you are confortable with. People look at me funny becuase i don't use a belt when i do GM's. I don't do them as ME singles but i do go up to 415 for reps at times. The way i look at GM's is that i do them to get stronger not have a huge GM. If your goal is to deadlift as much weight as possible a belt will be usefull.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.08%

Thier is nothing wrong with or without a belt. If you are going to wear it don't use it until you get to your heavy sets. It is what you are confortable with. People look at me funny becuase i don't use a belt when i do GM's. I don't do them as ME singles but i do go up to 415 for reps at times. The way i look at GM's is that i do them to get stronger not have a huge GM. If your goal is to deadlift as much weight as possible a belt will be usefull.
    Well the thing is I do 3 sets of 10 with the same weight. So that is my heavy set, I suppose anyway. But yea if that's the case I'll be wearing my belt, as long as my lower back gets worked the same with a belt as without.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

Welp gotta chime in. In your case, are the ten reps heavy to you? Personally I don't wear a belt till I'm at a weight I can only rep 6 maybe 8 if I'm jus not feeling it. It not only supports your back but your abdominals too. Every now and then I get a pinching sensation along my abdominal wall on a heavy set, thats a near hernia lol. Feel tha pain. Rarely happens now thou. I wouldn't wear one for sets of ten, it restricts your breathing and ten reps squatting or deads, yea I'm blowing lol. At least if its a failure set. Its lifting gear, made for support. If you wear it for all sets and reps you could limit your cores strength by not letting it deal with some of the stresses normally. basically, if its not heavy to you, donm't wear the belt. For instance, if you can pull 225, don't wear the belt for 95 or 115 etc. Please do not crank the belt down so tight you can't breath either. Tight, but where you can still shove a deep breath down deep for support. Too tight will hinder that and actually hurt your support. Plus, and a big plus, I was at a meet doing my 700 pound squat opener, and I had the belt too tight. I made the lift, but as I was coming outta tha hole, my lowe
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

Welp gotta chime in. In your case, are the ten reps heavy to you? Personally I don't wear a belt till I'm at a weight I can only rep 6 maybe 8 if I'm jus not feeling it. It not only supports your back but your abdominals too. Every now and then I get a pinching sensation along my abdominal wall on a heavy set, thats a near hernia lol. Feel tha pain. Rarely happens now thou. I wouldn't wear one for sets of ten, it restricts your breathing and ten reps squatting or deads, yea I'm blowing lol. At least if its a failure set. Its lifting gear, made for support. If you wear it for all sets and reps you could limit your cores strength by not letting it deal with some of the stresses normally. basically, if its not heavy to you, donm't wear the belt. For instance, if you can pull 225, don't wear the belt for 95 or 115 etc. Please do not crank the belt down so tight you can't breath either. Tight, but where you can still shove a deep breath down deep for support. Too tight will hinder that and actually hurt your support. Plus, and a big plus, I was at a meet doing my 700 pound squat opener, and I had the belt too tight. I made the lift, but as I was coming outta tha hole, my lower ribs dislocated. Hurt like hell. Rest of the meet was, well no prs...
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

Its not gonna help you learn form, again stick to the basics, arched and locked back, legs bent, bar tight to body, and pull like hell never rounding ur back. From there we all gotta just find out what mechanics work best, such as style, I have went thru sumo, conv., jefferson, and some wierd crap I jus did lol. Seems when I was heavier sumo was the ticket, now not so much. Do what feels good to your body.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.08%

Quote Originally Posted by hvylifter View Post
    Welp gotta chime in. In your case, are the ten reps heavy to you? Personally I don't wear a belt till I'm at a weight I can only rep 6 maybe 8 if I'm jus not feeling it. It not only supports your back but your abdominals too. Every now and then I get a pinching sensation along my abdominal wall on a heavy set, thats a near hernia lol. Feel tha pain. Rarely happens now thou. I wouldn't wear one for sets of ten, it restricts your breathing and ten reps squatting or deads, yea I'm blowing lol. At least if its a failure set. Its lifting gear, made for support. If you wear it for all sets and reps you could limit your cores strength by not letting it deal with some of the stresses normally. basically, if its not heavy to you, donm't wear the belt. For instance, if you can pull 225, don't wear the belt for 95 or 115 etc. Please do not crank the belt down so tight you can't breath either. Tight, but where you can still shove a deep breath down deep for support. Too tight will hinder that and actually hurt your support. Plus, and a big plus, I was at a meet doing my 700 pound squat opener, and I had the belt too tight. I made the lift, but as I was coming outta tha hole, my lower ribs dislocated. Hurt like hell. Rest of the meet was, well no prs...
    At the reps I'm doing it does feel heavy, but I can do the weight for 10 reps on each set. It's heavy to the point that if I tired to do 11 or 12 reps on the last set I wouldn't be able to do it. Basically it's the max weight that I can do 3 sets of 10 with. I don't really want to say how much weight, because it's not a lot at least not yet. As far as a weak core goes, I'm doing front squats to work my core and I never use a belt doing those.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.18%

At the reps I'm doing it does feel heavy, but I can do the weight for 10 reps on each set. It's heavy to the point that if I tired to do 11 or 12 reps on the last set I wouldn't be able to do it. Basically it's the max weight that I can do 3 sets of 10 with. I don't really want to say how much weight, because it's not a lot at least not yet. As far as a weak core goes, I'm doing front squats to work my core and I never use a belt doing those.
    You don't have to worry about how much you lift around here, it's more about your progression. As long as you keep making gains then everything is kosher. If your still lifting the same weight in 1-2 months then something is wrong usually over-training, under-eating, or both. That's when we start hounding ya
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.17%

Yea don't worry bout poundage. idc if you can squat 1000 or 100. I care about your physical well being. I have done this torture for almost 22 years, I have alot of experience, lol esp with injurys. I just wanna share the info I believe in and trust, to help others, and learn myself, cuz as hard as I try, i don't know it all, lol. I wanna help people succeed and without injurys. Just like was done for me years ago. When you start stagnating on your gains, try doing a few warmup sets few reps each up pretty high. Then go for a good 3 ta 5 rep set where the last is failure and then another same weight, to failure, then drop and do your ten rep set, saying ten reps as a general, go to failure all with good form. Will be same number of sets ur doing now, jus a lil different and more intense. Gotta push yourself to adapt. We can go way further in the intensity land. Also you could jus go for it, see how many reps you can do with your 10 rep weight. Don't just stop at ten, if you have more. even if the next set you only mustard it up 8 reps and your third 6 and a half. Push it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 635 Raw Deadlift
    By Jmaths in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 10:50 PM
  2. How much do you deadlift?
    By WhatsaRoid? in forum General Chat
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
  3. deadlift
    By khan8 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10