Chest isolation exercises

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Ive noticed that since Ive been doing so much shoulder stuff (dips, DB punches) that my shoulders are getting monstrous while the chest is a little behind. I do some DB flys and can usually work the chest nicely with rubber bands, also do tons of pushups with resistance ball/medball. most of my benching is floor presses. what other chest exercises you guys think feel like are hitting the chest the most? trying to develop evenly hahaha

thanks in advance brothas

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Judging by the actaully exercises that you list that you are doing, it sounds like perhaps you don't have access to a gym. If that's the case, then you are pretty limited to what yuo are already doing.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Decline DB Presses seem to isolate the pecs well. Whenever I do them, I can feel them flexing with each rep, whereas on traditional flat bench barbell presses, my shoulders/triceps take on a lot of the load and I don't get a good pec flex on each rep.

The same goes for low cable crossovers.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Whatever you do will incorporate delts and triceps.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
cable crossovers and cable flyes are the best for straight up pumps.

Richard Gears

Richard Gears

Banned
Awards
According to ErgoLog, flat bench isolates pecs as well as pec dec iso's.

I would just stick with Flat bench and similar Compound movements.

ergo-log.com/peckdeck.html

Last edited:
AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Judging by the actaully exercises that you list that you are doing, it sounds like perhaps you don't have access to a gym. If that's the case, then you are pretty limited to what yuo are already doing.
No actually I go to an awesome 24hr gym, right now Im just into those exercises. I like to mix it up every couple months or so. So I guess I should be doing more presses?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
your form is off on bench if your delts are taking the majority of the beating.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Start benching and stop doing floor presses if you are looking to build your chest. Floor presses are a great bench accessory, but not the greatest pec builder. Start with incline barbells for a while and see if it helps a bit.

Playwithfire

Playwithfire

Awards
Start benching and stop doing floor presses if you are looking to build your chest. Floor presses are a great bench accessory, but not the greatest pec builder. Start with incline barbells for a while and see if it helps a bit.

Agreed. I would also recommend that you go for incline dumbbell press.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Nice thanks everyone, sounds good.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
How are your anterior delts? Are they tight/ache? Do you have long arms? Nothing hits my chest like different push up variations. Everything else destroys my shoulders. I got long arms... ever notice small guys with short arms have huge chests? The long arms are a killer for chest development.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Incline presses, with incline flys, and decline flys. Finish off with dips.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Incline Db presses done on the ball. Murderous excersise. Incline barbell. underhanded cable flyes. dips supersetted with incline pushups.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
If barbell/DB/peck deck are being done mainly by your shoulders and trys then when you come to do the set consciously pinch you shoulder blades back and together this will cause your chest to push a lot more in the motion it sounds like you are "Front delt pressing" look for a quote by dante if you want more in depth info but the above should do the trick

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
How are your anterior delts? Are they tight/ache? Do you have long arms? Nothing hits my chest like different push up variations. Everything else destroys my shoulders. I got long arms... ever notice small guys with short arms have huge chests? The long arms are a killer for chest development.
Anterior delts feel fine, but I do feel like they are working too much during benching. My arms are way long I see what you are saying. Which pushup variations do you like? Hand positioning or doing them with resistance/medball?

PHILLIES FTW!!! fresh addition of Cliff Lee how about that

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Anterior delts feel fine, but I do feel like they are working too much during benching. My arms are way long I see what you are saying. Which pushup variations do you like? Hand positioning or doing them with resistance/medball?

Phuckin Phils... :pat:

I'm also curious to see what people think about the different pushup variations. I've got a set of metal DB's at my house and I love setting them down and using them as makeshift pushups bars w/neutral grip.

davez325

davez325

Awards
I had the same problem with my shoulders aching after chest day. I now use the benching teqniques found in the article, DAVE TATE'S SIX-WEEK BENCH PRESS CURE, found in the Training section of TMuscle.com

Since then, my shoulders hardly take a toll on chest day.

My fav chest routine is:
1. 3-4 sets of incline or flat dumbell flyes
2. 3-4 Super Sets of Incline Dumbell Presses (reps till failure) with Flat Dumbell Presses (reps till failure)
3. 3-4 sets of Decline Barbell Press
4. Finish off with dips or pushups

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established

I really like taking 2 bosu balls(know what they are?) spread them out wide and do push ups on them. Use one for each arm. This hits chest almost better then anything I've tried.

You can also try a medball. One arm on med ball and one arm regular push up and switch back and forth with the ball. (rocky balboa)

Going wider is the key to hit chest. I do like my feet up on a bench when doing regular push ups too. The anterior delt is going to be involved no matter what but if you feel it taking over and burning fast try another exercise. Also stretch your anterior delt regularly. Sometimes this can add 10-15lbs to your exercise. Sit on a bench straight up. Position your palms against the bench behind you. Rotate your shoulders back and push forward. Make sure it's loose before you train chest. I know most guys want to be good and have strength in bench but it's really not for everyone. If building chest is your goal and something is not helping you get there then why do it? .. just something to think about.

Also try dumbell presses or bench presses on the floor. It's much more supportive on your shoulders and hits chest way better. Your biceps seem to do more stabilizing then your shoulders. Especially with dumbells.

Yeah.. how about Cliff LEE! looking for a repeat this year! Shaky home record and pitching but seems like things are really falling into place now. Rollins is hitting, werth really stepped up this year, victorino, Ibanez was a HUGE pick up.."pat burrell who?" And the pitching is starting to get stronger and stronger. LEE is just what we needed.