Shoulder Dislo & Bench Press

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  80 lbs.

Shoulder Dislo & Bench Press

About 4 months ago, i dislocated my shoulder playing Australian Rules Football ... and was unable to attend gym for 2 months because of it -

prior to that i was comfortably benching 165lbs/75kgs ... (which i was very pleased with, as i neglected chest training during my teens). Since i have been back (2months now), i have struggled ... I cannot move up from 132lbs/60kgs at all .. and at times 132lbs/60kg is a struggle ... When i initially started training my chest, i had such a quick jump in weight over 2 months, and its seems now as if i have 'plateu'd' and not improved at all ... this has been ongoing for 2 months .. my questions are :
    1) Is this normal to have such slow progression?
    2) Is there any supplements that can assist me to get to where i was? (ie NO supp - was recommened by a PT @ my gym)

I await your help .. i feel pretty desperate .. and also, i am pretty tough on myself when it comes to any sport ... so it sucks heaps to have lost that much weight on my bench ...

thanks !

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Hey there. I dislo'd my shoulder a couple times, and for me, it took a couple months before I was back to pre-injury weights. This was after taking about 6-8 weeks off any upper body work. I was really afraid to try and go heavy out of fear of having it happen again and end up with a bar on my neck :P Its been about a year since my last dislo (crosses fingers), but I wanna say it took about 2-3 months before i was back at full strength. I was able to get over my hump by doing a lot of incline work for a couple weeks to focus on the upper chest/shoulders.

Are you doing any shoulder work to strengthen it back up and tighten up the ligaments? I'm no expert my any means, but am pretty sure there is a good amount of shoulder work involved in a BP.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.

This is something I have a bit of experience with as I've dislocated my right shoulder about 6 times (snowboarding, baseball, and once while doing closegrip bench). The best advice I can give you is to take your time and focus on low weight, high rep. exercises to strengthen the muscles in your shoulder first. Pushups, shoulder flys, and pull-ups (only do the pullups if it feels stable) are a good start.

You almost always tear tendons when you dislocate the shoulder so it takes a long time to heal. My most recent dislocation was about 5-6 months ago and after rehabing it for the last 4 months I've only recently gotten it back to what feels like around 90%. Best of luck to you and dont try to rush this.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  80 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore507 View Post
    Hey there. I dislo'd my shoulder a couple times, and for me, it took a couple months before I was back to pre-injury weights. This was after taking about 6-8 weeks off any upper body work. I was really afraid to try and go heavy out of fear of having it happen again and end up with a bar on my neck :P Its been about a year since my last dislo (crosses fingers), but I wanna say it took about 2-3 months before i was back at full strength. I was able to get over my hump by doing a lot of incline work for a couple weeks to focus on the upper chest/shoulders.

Are you doing any shoulder work to strengthen it back up and tighten up the ligaments? I'm no expert my any means, but am pretty sure there is a good amount of shoulder work involved in a BP.
    Honestly, i am not doing that much shoulder work (weight lifting wise), i am using 8lbs dumb bells and rotating my shoulder to attempt to stengthen the joint. Though in the past 2 weeks i have been doing a moderate intensity shoulder workout ... Do you think because i have neglected my shoulders (since dislo), that this could be partially responsible for me lack of progress w/ bp!?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by crreaby View Post
    Honestly, i am not doing that much shoulder work (weight lifting wise), i am using 8lbs dumb bells and rotating my shoulder to attempt to stengthen the joint. Though in the past 2 weeks i have been doing a moderate intensity shoulder workout ... Do you think because i have neglected my shoulders (since dislo), that this could be partially responsible for me lack of progress w/ bp!?
    My totally noob opinion? Yes. As another poster mentioned, focus on shoring up the shoulder muscles and tendons. Low weight, hi rep to get the muscles going, and strengthen it back up. Front, side, and rear delt work, push ups, DB shoulder presses, and anything else you can do with no pain. I'd listen to your shoulder too. If it barks performing an exercise, use a lower weight, or drop it till your stronger.

Another good reason to shore that shoulder up, besides a heavy BP, is to not have it happen again. When that arm comes out, its stretches the hell out of the tendons and ligaments. Each time it dislo's, it ups the chance to happen again.

Just take your time, and the strength will come back.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  80 lbs.

thanks nevermore - everyones opinion is widely welcomed!!!
    Anyone have a clue on supplementing???
    I doubt it would do much - but every bit helps i guess

thanks
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.

I wouldn't really think there'd be much that would be worthwhile on the supp. quite yet. Cissus may or may not help it heal depending on who you talk to. It will mask the pain, but lots of people say that it comes back after they stop the cissus. Also, right now I think the pain is a good thing, cause it's telling you when you're pushing too hard and need to ease up a bit. So as long as you've got your multi and some fish oil the rest is just gonna be patience and hard work. Hang in there though it'll be worth the effort doing it right. I wish I had in the past.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. shoulder & db press
    By Exercise123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 08:24 AM
  2. bench press
    By at1010 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
  3. why dont i feel any shoulder activation while bench press
    By brownstown89 in forum Training Forum