Leg extensions. Should I cut them out? - AnabolicMinds.com

Leg extensions. Should I cut them out?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Leg extensions. Should I cut them out?

I was thinking of cutting out leg extensions from my workout. I don't know if they are necessary if I'm doing squats and deads. I also heard that leg extensions puts a lot of pressure around your knees. I have recently had knee pain and it is finally going away. The pain was most likely due to squatting with improper form. I was just wondering if I do extensions would it be too much on my legs and be wise to cut them out and just focus on these three exercises, Squats, Deads, Calf raises. BTW I am trying to bulk.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

i think of them as "skull crushers for the knees" by the way that they affect the knees (similar to the way that skulls affect the elbows). i think there are better quad building exercises such as front squats, narrow stance leg presses, one leg leg presses, etc.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  238 lbs.

I do them 1 legged FTW.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dropshot001 View Post
    i think of them as "skull crushers for the knees" by the way that they affect the knees (similar to the way that skulls affect the elbows). i think there are better quad building exercises such as front squats, narrow stance leg presses, one leg leg presses, etc.
    Well I'm alternating squats and front squats. one week I'll do front squats once a week and squats twice, the next week I'll do front squats twice a week and squats once a week.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  285 lbs.

Do them slowly - 4-10 seconds on the eccentric. It'll help build the knees without any joint pain.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  270 lbs.

i love leg extensions. great for a warm up before heavy compound movements- use low weight and high reps..i too like one leg at a time.. also a great quad finsiher, awesome to do drop sets with. just use a safe weight, control it. too many try to bounce the stack around and it looks like they are having a seizure sitting up.. a versatile exercise, also a little bit of a "break" from the heavy squatting and leg pressing movements when thrown in the mix mid-workout... just my opinion-
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Well I started with calf raises today then moved on to front squats and then did deads. By the time I was done I had no energy to do extensions.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

I sometimes do DB lunges Supersetted with Leg extensions sometimes i feel like that works better then squats other times not depends on the day, but im always sore if you go hard enough on DB lunges to leg extension.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by UGHQTempus View Post
    Do them slowly - 4-10 seconds on the eccentric. It'll help build the knees without any joint pain.
    ^This
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

they are a direct stimulater of the quadriceps. you need to do them. unless you develop pain from that specific exercise do them.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  250 lbs.

Extensions have been a huge part of my leg development. if you have worries about knee or joint problems, i would just go light and squeeze the hell out of every rep. theirs really no other way to isolate the quads.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

The leg extension is pretty much the best exercise to isolate the quads. It's a great machine for development. It's much safer and less impact on your joint too. Improper squating was probably to blame of your joint pain. Bad shoes even. I usually use them as a finisher. When your calves are toast, your glutes are done and you know you still got some left in your quads the leg extension is the way to go.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

leg extensions after squats and leg presses for ultimate next-day soreness
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.

Yea what most of them said. Badass finisher after a good leg routine. Remember pain is one thing, your gonna have pains and tweaks, injurys are what we gotta avoid. I do 4 ta 5 sets to failure after squats or deads, then at the end of the sets I grab the think and use my arms to do forced reps until I damn near fall onto the floor.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

All you have to do to take that pressure off of your knees is to not use your entire range of motion...when u hit the top you don't want to let your knees lock out, so go from just about fully bent legs in the beginning of the movement to approximately 10-20 degrees less than straight legged at the top. (This is of course, if you decide to keep the leg extensions in your workout)
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Well I'm alternating squats and front squats. one week I'll do front squats once a week and squats twice, the next week I'll do front squats twice a week and squats once a week.
    Not sure how your doing it.......... but i dead on monday and squat on thursday.

Usually one of the two has a "lighter day"

There is no way i could squat 3 times a week and "leave it all in the gym" every time.

Oh wait, your 21...........

lol

seriously though,

If your squatting that much, you dont need the leg extensions.........Maybe lighter weight with some very slow tempo eccentrics and static holds.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

dont just hop on the machine and do em adjust the seat to where its best for you. dont lock em out...

ive done them with a 20,15,12,10,8,5,2 rep scheme and 8,6,4,2 or 3 x 10 or sets to failure they neever hurt just dont lock out.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Can anyone not do back extensions on the chair?
    By Flaw in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
  2. shin pain during leg extensions
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 03:54 PM
  3. Arms hurt after dips and extensions
    By jimmbow in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 05:37 PM
  4. Leg extensions