Overworking

1. Davidlee

Question Overworking

Any tips on what over working is when it comes to push ups/pull ups?
    I don't seem to be getting the chest workout that I want ,and was wondering how bad a couple sets of push ups and pull ups a couple extra nights would affect me?
    How about DB Curls? like 2x 12 Each night before bed? or every other night?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.77%

I say if you are able to do anything workout-related at night after a session at the gym, you aren't training hard or intensly enough. Intensity is relative, of course, but IMO you'd at a minimum not allowing your already-worked bodyparts recover properly...which of course, impedes the growth process.
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlee View Post
    Any tips on what over working is when it comes to push ups/pull ups?
    I don't seem to be getting the chest workout that I want ,and was wondering how bad a couple sets of push ups and pull ups a couple extra nights would affect me?
    How about DB Curls? like 2x 12 Each night before bed? or every other night?
    the only time i get a good chest workout is when i ask someone to spot me so i can get those last few reps off.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.7%

I think this would be over training lee. if you need to increase the sets to 5 on each exercise of chest and you will be torn up. but dont touch the chest again for a week. just because you are not sure does not mean you are not gaining muscle. i agree sore is a good indication that you are training hard enough but at the same time it is not neccasary to gain some mass. hit it hard, leave it alone so it can grow. i usually explain this to my clints with an anology of a serta matress (funny i know) if you were to take a chunk of serta memory foam. take a hammer to it and beat it flat (this symbolizes tearing your muscles) after you pound down the memory foam its going to start reforming to where it was at orginally (muscles healing and threfore growing) if you beat the memory foam down with the hammer again before it gains back to its orgainal size and thickness its never going to get back to the potential it was at. this is like training a muscle too often or when its sore. if you keep hitting that muscle before its recovered its never going to grow and get back to potential to train hard. so work out hard and let it rest. MINIMUM. is 72 hours.
  5. Davidlee

Quote Originally Posted by TravisG View Post
    I think this would be over training lee. if you need to increase the sets to 5 on each exercise of chest and you will be torn up. but dont touch the chest again for a week. just because you are not sure does not mean you are not gaining muscle. i agree sore is a good indication that you are training hard enough but at the same time it is not neccasary to gain some mass. hit it hard, leave it alone so it can grow. i usually explain this to my clints with an anology of a serta matress (funny i know) if you were to take a chunk of serta memory foam. take a hammer to it and beat it flat (this symbolizes tearing your muscles) after you pound down the memory foam its going to start reforming to where it was at orginally (muscles healing and threfore growing) if you beat the memory foam down with the hammer again before it gains back to its orgainal size and thickness its never going to get back to the potential it was at. this is like training a muscle too often or when its sore. if you keep hitting that muscle before its recovered its never going to grow and get back to potential to train hard. so work out hard and let it rest. MINIMUM. is 72 hours.
    Ha thata boy, Thanks bud
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.7%

lol anytime man. anologies are here all week!
  7. Davidlee

Quote Originally Posted by TravisG View Post
    lol anytime man. anologies are here all week!
    haha

Similar Forum Threads

1. overworking?
    By bi0hazurd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 09:13 AM