Delts aren't getting worked - AnabolicMinds.com

Delts aren't getting worked

1. Banned
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Delts aren't getting worked

I partially judge how good of a workout I got by how my muscles feel the next day.

On chest and leg days, I'm experience a good amount of DOMS. On shoulder days, I feel none.

I feel like I'm working out my delts properly but they just don't hurt the next day like my legs and chest still do.

Here's a sample shoulder day for me:

Overhead BB Press (behind head)
    Upright BB rows
    Arnold Press
    Seated Lateral Raise
    Rear delt flyes

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

I work delts on my chest day, using bench presses, board presses, and Incline Presses as my focus doing them 5x5, maxing out on one for 4 weeks while working the others at 80 percent of my 5rm. every four weeks i rotate which exercise to max out on
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

DOMS, or lack of it, is not a great indicator of how you are progressing. I've rarely if ever had any significant DOMS in my shoulders over the years, but they've certainly become alot bigger and stronger.
    Whatever program you do, give it some time (at least a few months) and see if you are getting bigger and stronger. If not, change things up and try something different.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Try only using the bottom 2/3 of the motion to keep the tension on the delts along with a 3-second eccentric contraction. Oh, and ditch the behind the head presses.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

DOMS isn't the best indicator of growth, though if you have it, growth is pretty much a given. try increasing your reps by 1 or two per set until you get to a set number (i shoot for 12). then increase the weight and drop the reps, and work your way back up to 12. this ensures that you're growing, because you work on the principal of steady progression. maybe some drop sets are in order though....
  6. Banned
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Try only using the bottom 2/3 of the motion to keep the tension on the delts along with a 3-second eccentric contraction. Oh, and ditch the behind the head presses.
    Why you no likey the behind the head presses? I feel like they hit my middle delts better. When I take the bar in front I feel like I'm hitting my front delts.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by domstriker View Post
    Why you no likey the behind the head presses? I feel like they hit my middle delts better. When I take the bar in front I feel like I'm hitting my front delts.
    Because I likey my rotator cuffs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Because I likey my rotator cuffs.
    I've read in M&F several times that behind the head presses are okay if you don't have any pre-existing shoulder problems...
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

I'd say do more sets of overhead pressing. I like standing military presses. Give those a shot, then maybe do some seated. Lastly do Arnold presses would be good. I like upright rows, try supersetting those with side laterals (only time I like to do those).
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by domstriker View Post
    I've read in M&F several times that behind the head presses are okay if you don't have any pre-existing shoulder problems...
    behind the head presses with a wide grip are ok b/c it will limit the range of motion and will take away from the shoulders having to rotate at and awkward angle
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  285 lbs.

I do:

1 set of standing BB press - 6 sec neg, 8-10 reps
    2 sets of BB shrugs - 6 sec neg - 4-6 reps
    1 triple drop set of standing BB push press
    and maybe 1 set of lateral raises w/ 6 sec neg 8-12 reps.

Thats it. And I usually can't hold my cell phone for 2 days.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Behind the neck "are ok if you aren't prone to shoulder problems", true. But this is on of the most effective exercises at producing shoulder problems. Most people have too narrow grip and touch the bar to tht back of the neck. keep grip wide so that at the lowest part of the negative, your elbows are 90 degrees with forearms vertical. I don't lower beyond the middle of my head. Complete strictness and control are keys to not destroying your rotators. It's still not worth it for me to do them all the time.

I have used a "horseshoe" shaped bar, with a "u" in the middle. It allowed my hands to be beside my head like DB presses and the "U" went behind my head. I haven't been in a gym that has that bar in about 5 years though. yesterday, I started standing barbell presses. I'm rehabbing a broken hand, 3 weeks out of the cast, so I know I have to go light for a few more weeks. Perfect time for me to learn the overhead press with lighter weight and build strength incrementally as my hand strength increases.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

just because youre not sore doesnt mean youre not gaining muscle. look in the mirror and if youre seeing results than youre fine. also, try flipping that workout upside down for a month. muscle confusion. it should spring some growth.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

If you've read any of my posts in this training section, you know that I am a big believer in intensity. You can do pretty much any training program (within reason, especially if you are natural) and as long as you can look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that you gave it all you had, rest assured that your delts are getting worked.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. my supplements aren't meds
    By lategainer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 08:02 PM
  2. Why aren't you guys in GNC?
    By themandaloria in forum Controlled Labs
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 11:35 AM
  3. why aren't the chargers better?
    By judge-mental in forum Sports Talk