Delts aren't getting worked

domstriker

Banned
Awards
I partially judge how good of a workout I got by how my muscles feel the next day.

On chest and leg days, I'm experience a good amount of DOMS. On shoulder days, I feel none.

I feel like I'm working out my delts properly but they just don't hurt the next day like my legs and chest still do.

Here's a sample shoulder day for me:

Overhead BB Press (behind head)
Upright BB rows
Arnold Press
Seated Lateral Raise
Rear delt flyes

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
I work delts on my chest day, using bench presses, board presses, and Incline Presses as my focus doing them 5x5, maxing out on one for 4 weeks while working the others at 80 percent of my 5rm. every four weeks i rotate which exercise to max out on

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
DOMS, or lack of it, is not a great indicator of how you are progressing. I've rarely if ever had any significant DOMS in my shoulders over the years, but they've certainly become alot bigger and stronger.
Whatever program you do, give it some time (at least a few months) and see if you are getting bigger and stronger. If not, change things up and try something different.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try only using the bottom 2/3 of the motion to keep the tension on the delts along with a 3-second eccentric contraction. Oh, and ditch the behind the head presses.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
DOMS isn't the best indicator of growth, though if you have it, growth is pretty much a given. try increasing your reps by 1 or two per set until you get to a set number (i shoot for 12). then increase the weight and drop the reps, and work your way back up to 12. this ensures that you're growing, because you work on the principal of steady progression. maybe some drop sets are in order though....

domstriker

Banned
Awards
Try only using the bottom 2/3 of the motion to keep the tension on the delts along with a 3-second eccentric contraction. Oh, and ditch the behind the head presses.
Why you no likey the behind the head presses? I feel like they hit my middle delts better. When I take the bar in front I feel like I'm hitting my front delts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why you no likey the behind the head presses? I feel like they hit my middle delts better. When I take the bar in front I feel like I'm hitting my front delts.
Because I likey my rotator cuffs.

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
I'd say do more sets of overhead pressing. I like standing military presses. Give those a shot, then maybe do some seated. Lastly do Arnold presses would be good. I like upright rows, try supersetting those with side laterals (only time I like to do those).

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
I've read in M&F several times that behind the head presses are okay if you don't have any pre-existing shoulder problems...
behind the head presses with a wide grip are ok b/c it will limit the range of motion and will take away from the shoulders having to rotate at and awkward angle

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I do:

1 set of standing BB press - 6 sec neg, 8-10 reps
2 sets of BB shrugs - 6 sec neg - 4-6 reps
1 triple drop set of standing BB push press
and maybe 1 set of lateral raises w/ 6 sec neg 8-12 reps.

Thats it. And I usually can't hold my cell phone for 2 days.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Behind the neck "are ok if you aren't prone to shoulder problems", true. But this is on of the most effective exercises at producing shoulder problems. Most people have too narrow grip and touch the bar to tht back of the neck. keep grip wide so that at the lowest part of the negative, your elbows are 90 degrees with forearms vertical. I don't lower beyond the middle of my head. Complete strictness and control are keys to not destroying your rotators. It's still not worth it for me to do them all the time.

I have used a "horseshoe" shaped bar, with a "u" in the middle. It allowed my hands to be beside my head like DB presses and the "U" went behind my head. I haven't been in a gym that has that bar in about 5 years though. yesterday, I started standing barbell presses. I'm rehabbing a broken hand, 3 weeks out of the cast, so I know I have to go light for a few more weeks. Perfect time for me to learn the overhead press with lighter weight and build strength incrementally as my hand strength increases.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
just because youre not sore doesnt mean youre not gaining muscle. look in the mirror and if youre seeing results than youre fine. also, try flipping that workout upside down for a month. muscle confusion. it should spring some growth.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
If you've read any of my posts in this training section, you know that I am a big believer in intensity. You can do pretty much any training program (within reason, especially if you are natural) and as long as you can look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that you gave it all you had, rest assured that your delts are getting worked.