1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Alternative to hamstring curls

Is there a good alternative to hamstring curls, that I can do at home. I can do leg extensions fine on my bench, but whenever I try to do hamstring curls with my bench it feel very uncomfortable.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.58%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Good Mornings? Not as much of an isolation exercise as hamstring curls but it can get the job done.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

stiff legged deadlifts
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.58%

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    stiff legged deadlifts
    My vote as well, but I dunno what kinda goodies he has at his house...dammit now I wanna do some SLDLs.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.92%

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    My vote as well, but I dunno what kinda goodies he has at his house...dammit now I wanna do some SLDLs.
    I have a Golds Gym XRS 20 bench. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. When I lay on the bench and try to do the hamstring curls where the pads or under my thighs feel too high and it makes my thighs hurt. BTW I checked out what good mornings are...yeah I don't ever want to try those.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.58%

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I have a Golds Gym XRS 20 bench. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. When I lay on the bench and try to do the hamstring curls where the pads or under my thighs feel too high and it makes my thighs hurt. BTW I checked out what good mornings are...yeah I don't ever want to try those.
    Wah?! Goodmornings are the Bees Knees man. Those are like broomstick twists; old school exercises that you rarely see people doing, but are so beneficial.
    WHITE WHALE!
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.92%

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Wah?! Goodmornings are the Bees Knees man. Those are like broomstick twists; old school exercises that you rarely see people doing, but are so beneficial.
    I'm just paranoid, that at some point I won't be able to bring the weight back up and I don't really have a spotter. The bench with the squat attachment I have has safety pins(well not pins idk what these are called) to catch the weight on squats and I lower them to be in chest level for when I do the bench press. With an exercise like goodmornings I'd be scared to do without a spotter.
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Just hold the bar in your hands....aka (Stiff leg dead lifts). If you fail just drop the bar.

YouTube - Barbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts - Hamstrings Exercises For Legs
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.6%

I like Romanian Deadlifts a bit more than SLDL's.
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Logo View Post
    I like Romanian Deadlifts a bit more than SLDL's.
    Both will hit the hamstrings...I feel the Stiff leg variety put a bit more focus on the hammies though!!
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.9%

ITS BEEN SAID MANY TIMES BUT WHY NOT BEAT THE DEAD HORSE. STIFF LEG DEADLIFTS WILL HIT THE SPOT. GET SOME LOWER BACK IN THERE TOO.
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.65%

Quote Originally Posted by TravisG View Post
    ITS BEEN SAID MANY TIMES BUT WHY NOT BEAT THE DEAD HORSE. STIFF LEG DEADLIFTS WILL HIT THE SPOT. GET SOME LOWER BACK IN THERE TOO.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Glute ham raises will do the trick if you can rig it up.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.6%

If you look at the way a Romanian Deadlift is performed it is basically the same exercise as GM but with weight in your hands.

You can pick up some bands at elitefts and look at their exercise index for hamstring curls with it.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.29%

First off, when your doing good mornings you will never go down with a weight you can't come up with. You learn your limits really quick with that exercise and as long as you have some common sense with them your going to be safe. Anyway here are some other options which are great alternatives:
    Stability Ball Leg Curl/Bridge : This is a really simple exercise in that all you need is a stability ball. Just lay on your back with your heels on the ball, then preform a glute bridge while curling your legs in. This is a humbling exercise that works your hamstrings at both insertions points.
    Natural Glute Ham Raise : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/renegade10.htm
    Deadlift Variations : Super solid alternative but can be hard to properly isolate unless your form is spot on. I prefer grappler deadlifts, which is where you set up two bars like you would a t-bar row and then just preform a straight leg deadlift with them. To hit your hamstrings more elevate your toes slightly.
    Kettle Bell Swings : You can use dumbbells for these as well or make your own handle from home depot out of pipe.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.39%

Theres variations to the Leg Curls as well. 1. With both legs. 2. Lift with both legs, drop one leg, lower with 1 leg slowly. 3. With both legs, at the top, tuck your heels in, then lower. 4. One-legged curls.

The Glut Ham Raises are killer!

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts. Duh!

Lunges also work hams.

I've found that heavy weight, low reps on Leg Curls works the best, and light weight, high reps on Stiff-Legged Deadlifts hits the spot since more muscles are involved.

Try supersets for hams!
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.92%

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    If you look at the way a Romanian Deadlift is performed it is basically the same exercise as GM but with weight in your hands.

You can pick up some bands at elitefts and look at their exercise index for hamstring curls with it.
    I was thinking about switching from deads to Romanian deadlifts. It kind of sucks changing from deadlifts to Romanian deads only for the fact that I just got my form down for deads. I'm only doing 80lbs on deads since I just got my form right. How much would I need to drop for Romanian deads? Also I looked on how to do them, but I'd also like some pointers on how to start and what some common mistakes are when doing them.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.6%

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I was thinking about switching from deads to Romanian deadlifts. It kind of sucks changing from deadlifts to Romanian deads only for the fact that I just got my form down for deads. I'm only doing 80lbs on deads since I just got my form right. How much would I need to drop for Romanian deads? Also I looked on how to do them, but I'd also like some pointers on how to start and what some common mistakes are when doing them.
    You will have to gauge your weight, i am really not sure. The commone mistakes people make is not knowing the difference between a romanian dead and a SLDL. I will try and explain the perfect way to do a romanian dead.

Take the bar ouf the rack standing straight. Break with your ass, drivingit back as you begin to bend down keep the bar tight to your body and a hard arch. Your ass should be pretty far back now, where if someone was standing directly behind you when you started you would have knocked them out of the way. When your hard arch feels like it is going to break, reverse and remember to snap your hips through. You should feel quite a bit of tension on your hams when you are doing this, and how far you can go down will depend on the person.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Alternative to leg ext/curls?
    By gaijininjapan in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 11:39 AM
  2. Hamstring injury.
    By pavb10 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 09:46 PM
  3. Whats better for forearms, reverse curls or hammer curls?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
  4. strained hamstring
    By Necroticism in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
  5. Hamstring avulsion???
    By pavb10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 10:01 PM