Each body part twice a week Workouts?

xpin2winx

Awards
I want to train each body part twice a week working out 6 days a week. I am 17 and somewhat muscular, i take all the nessasary supplements, and i am wondering is it ok if i workout each body part twice a week? Would this be enough time to rest each body part?

Sun: Chest/Shoulders
Mon: Back/Biceps
Tues: Legs/Triceps
Weds: off
Then repeat this cycle on thursday.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can try it, what I would do along with this is to take a full 1-2 weeks off every 6-8 weeks. Honestly you may want to try and make it 2 workout days so you get 2 days off as well. so Chest/Shoulders/Tris/Back and Bis/Legs

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I want to train each body part twice a week working out 6 days a week. I am 17 and somewhat muscular, i take all the nessasary supplements, and i am wondering is it ok if i workout each body part twice a week? Would this be enough time to rest each body part?

Sun: Chest/Shoulders
Mon: Back/Biceps
Tues: Legs/Triceps
Weds: off
Then repeat this cycle on thursday.
Sure that one works, but you did not give enough info. How much volume of work are you doing? Exercises per body part, sets and reps per exercise these are pretty important to know. If taking the basics for your supplements you could do 12-15 sets per body part each workout twice a week without to much worry of overtraining. I would maybe start with 10-12 sets and progessively add a set to one exercise per week until you get to 14-15 sets. Then maybe take a week off and start over at the lower sets again but a little heavier weight since you should be stronger by then. When you do that maybe even change up the exercises completely. Also I recomend at your age hitting almost all compound exercises to really get a great base of muscle.

I also really like this split.
Chest \ Biceps
Legs \ Shoulders
Back \ Triceps
off

YOur arms get used a lot and can handle more frequency of training. Hitting the chest and then the triceps is redundant in the same workout. Your triceps are pumped and swole by the end of your chest workout. So they get one good indirect workout there then you do the biceps which are nice and fresh so you can really pound them then. Then when you hit your back your biceps get pumped and have another great indirect workout, but your triceps are fresh so you can totally blast them again too. It just makes the amount of time in the gym more efficient in my opinion.You can also do a few less sets for them because they are getting trained more frequently meaning they need less sets workout to achieve the same amount of volume. That can afford for one more exercise on the other body part, or a few extra sets on the major body part either way stillmaking the use of time in the gym more efficient. That of course is my opinion and is not the oly way to go. I have made gains using both ways.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you'll overtrain fast unless you're on cycle, or your calories/protein is through the roof. even if everything is dialed in and/or cycling, 8 weeks max on this program. IMO.

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
Buy Patrick Ward's book on setting up a program. The guy's a genius and he keeps it extremely simple.
Alos, I really dont think it is necessary to do all of that volume. Google the baby got back routine. By far, it is one of the best routines I've ever used and it will give you gains in a short amount of time. I noticed (and others noticed) I more size in 3 weeks using this routine.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Buy Patrick Ward's book on setting up a program. The guy's a genius and he keeps it extremely simple.
Alos, I really dont think it is necessary to do all of that volume. Google the baby got back routine. By far, it is one of the best routines I've ever used and it will give you gains in a short amount of time. I noticed (and others noticed) I more size in 3 weeks using this routine.
Do you know the name of the book? I'd like to check it out.

As for the workout... working same part twice a week could kill the body. Something i'm looking to do. That being said i think it would be imperitive to keep it short in length (6 weeks) and not do the same lift for the same part. After this it will be almost impossible to shock ur system unless you stop lifting for a week or so

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
The book is called "Take Charge".

As for your comments, truly shocking the body is indeed possible, and plausible. As long as the complete overall volume is kept relatively low to moderate.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I also really like this split.
Chest \ Biceps
Legs \ Shoulders
Back \ Triceps
off

YOur arms get used a lot and can handle more frequency of training. Hitting the chest and then the triceps is redundant in the same workout. Your triceps are pumped and swole by the end of your chest workout. So they get one good indirect workout there then you do the biceps which are nice and fresh so you can really pound them then. Then when you hit your back your biceps get pumped and have another great indirect workout, but your triceps are fresh so you can totally blast them again too. It just makes the amount of time in the gym more efficient in my opinion.You can also do a few less sets for them because they are getting trained more frequently meaning they need less sets workout to achieve the same amount of volume. That can afford for one more exercise on the other body part, or a few extra sets on the major body part either way stillmaking the use of time in the gym more efficient. That of course is my opinion and is not the oly way to go. I have made gains using both ways.
I like this split that you have here. I've been doing
Biceps/Legs
Chest/Triceps
Shoulders/Back

But what you explained makes more sense to me. I'm going to give it a shot next week.

However, I might try

Chest/Legs
Shoulders/Biceps
Back/Triceps

Just because I love hitting legs and chest on that first day after a break (usually monday for me).

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like this split that you have here. I've been doing
Biceps/Legs
Chest/Triceps
Shoulders/Back

But what you explained makes more sense to me. I'm going to give it a shot next week.

However, I might try

Chest/Legs
Shoulders/Biceps
Back/Triceps

Just because I love hitting legs and chest on that first day after a break (usually monday for me).
That would work out also. However as taxing as legs are unless they are not a priority I would do them with shoulders, the chest workout hits shoulders and arms as well and that would be a lot of CNS slamming in one day, something is gonna give or get cheated. Not to mention EVERYBODY works chest on Mondays so you have to compete with them for equipment. With your shoulders also being involved with every other upper body movement you can afford to be taxed from your leg workout before hitting them even if you are worn out. That is because they already get way more volume of work than your chest though indirect stimulation. So I would make the chest my big bodypart for that day with a smaller body part like biceps. Does that make sense to you?

I see a lot of people saying you will overtrain quickly. It depends on the volume. Some people do a lot of volume and some do little. I myself train my entire body 3 times a week. However I keep my volume very low. 1 warm up and 2 worksets per body part right now I am doing an HST cycle just finished my strategic conditioning so I am back to building with much lighter weight than 2 weeks ago, and I have a delicious soreness throughout my body. Weights that wouldnt have even made me blink and didn't are already effecting me positively. However normally I do the aforementioned 1 warmup 2 works sets with a double drop set on the second set. I do 1 compound movement for each bodypart. So my volume is low and I get in about 9 extremely intense sets per bodypart per week. However don't be fooled by the lower volume the effort it takes to complete an all compound movement full body workout can burn out your central nervous system too. Do the cycling I mention before not going over 15 sets, my pref would probably be 2-3 exercises to start with 3 sets per then add 1 set to 1 exercise per week until you are doing 4 per, or total work sets 12 sets that way you can stave off the overtraining if it is a concern. Then take of a week and go back at it lower volume or completely change up your training style.

As far as volume I would never recomend more than 30 sets per week on a body part. For me the number is 24 that is the most volume I will put a body group through or recovery is just almost impossible for long periods. Honestly though 12 hard sets a week is probably my sweetspot for cranking up the intensity.

Key to remember is to plan how many sets per week by looking at your current work load. YOu really dont need to increase your over all sets for the week because You will be training more intensely for less sets and still recover in plenty of time for the next workout. I definitely recommend you read that book or some other book on how to plan workouts in all the various schemes. The understanding and new ideas that can come to you with knowledge really makes the workouts so much more enjoyable to do or plan.

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
HST was okay, but I prefer the type of routine I am on now-the Baby Got Back routine. It emphasizes several different rep schemes, sort of like non-linear periodization, but even further and more demanding. I like it also because it was originated by Ian King, a ****ing genius.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
HST was okay, but I prefer the type of routine I am on now-the Baby Got Back routine. It emphasizes several different rep schemes, sort of like non-linear periodization, but even further and more demanding. I like it also because it was originated by Ian King, a ****ing genius.
Ian King is awesome I didn't realize that was his workout. I will have to look at it. HST is great if you start out deconditioned. I think a lot of people jump into it without going through that part of it. Not saying you did that but I know many people who started it by getting their maxes one week and starting the program the next which goes against the very principles that make it work. I do get good results with it but not like I get with my own workouts. However I am nursing an injury and the progressive loading will allow me time for recovery and breaking in the soft tissue. I dislocated a rib from my sternum and the subluxation has left the connective tissue in a weakend state. :sigh1:

I am definitely going to go check out that program though.

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
I'd take the recommended nine days off and add in another 5 more, because of the injury. Just do strictly cardio a few times a week, keep your diet in check and perhaps more protein to repair needed issues that still nag. Also, consider megadosing fish oil for its inflammatory value. I have taken in at leasst 20g of liquid from fish oil a day, and with it, my knees are no longer an issue for me.

This routine (BGB) came to me by my friend Built from Ironmag. She's a friggin mountain of knowledge. She was actually the one who turned this on to me, and I only recently found out it was a form of nonlinear periodization because I have read so much about in pubmed and other collegiate journals. I am trying to get published in a national sports medicine journal with an experiment that I am collaborating on. This is the model and prescribed form of exercise for the test "rat". It is quite possibly, one of the best routines IMHO that any trainee can do, natty or assisted.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
AS LONG AS YOURE NOT SORE I SAY SURE.

COMMON SYMPTOMS OF OVERTRAINING:
TIRED BUT CANT SLEEP
FATIGUED
SORE MUSCLES
SICKNESS
STRENGTH GOES DOWN
WEIGHT DECREASES.

AS LONG AS NONE OF THESE SYMPTOMES OCCUR I SAY YOURE YOUNG ENOUGH TO BEAT EM DOWN HARD.

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
everywhere I go, I see azzholes. Must be something in the retard water that you've been drinking.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
honestly do me a favor and look at what you just wrote. really...

talk bodybuilding and you wont have problems. time to be mature if youre going to be on a board with 100000 other ppl. this discussion is over. i wont be responding after this. have a good day. and enjoy the lower case.

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
thats a great impression of a shwang in that picture. Keep the lowercase coming. Better on the eyes.