calve excercises

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
calf excercises

What are some good exercises I can do to build my calf muscles?

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Standing Calf Raises
Seated Calf Raises
Leg Press Calf Press
ALso, there are other calf machines that can be effective

However, the machines and exercises won't necessarily build your calf muscles. It will be your commitment to them to prioritize them and give 100% intensity EACH time you train them. Unless you are genetically gifted with good calves, it will be one of the hardest bodyparts to make grow. But consistency and intensity have brought mine up from my genetically ungifted (is that a word?) bread-stick-calves to somewhat decent ones with pretty good lines.

Also, try doing different rep ranges. One day go heavier (6-8 reps) and another day go 15-20 reps. Good luck!

spadesofaces

Awards
I've also found the following 3 things to be crucial to calf growth:

1. focus on squeezing your calves at the top of each rep
2. control the eccentric
3. stretch your calves for a few seconds at the bottom of each rep

I only really started hitting calves hard about 4 months ago, but since then they've been growing great

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Also add in reverse calf raises to beef up the front of the calves(shin area). Most people dont do this exercise or havent even heard of it...... and it works wonders.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Also add in reverse calf raises to beef up the front of the calves(shin area). Most people dont do this exercise or havent even heard of it...... and it works wonders.
Unfortunately I don't have any calf blocks. I searched the exercise online and it looks like I need a calf block, which I don't have or have the money to buy.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately I don't have any calf blocks. I searched the exercise online and it looks like I need a calf block, which I don't have or have the money to buy.
I dont use one. Ill throw a 25lb plate on the ground, put my heel on it, and use another 25lb plate for the top of my foot, and hold it there with one of my hands. I like these the best.

If you are in a rush,... jump on a donke raise calf machine, and use your heels to push,... not your toes. Same movement, just on a plane.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I like standing calf raises using the smith machine. Works a lot better than the calf machine at my gym. Give that a try. You can really contract the muscle.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I like standing calf raises using the smith machine. Works a lot better than the calf machine at my gym. Give that a try. You can really contract the muscle.
Sounds good, but I was going to do the calf raises with dumbbells, since I unfortunately don't have a gym membership and have to workout at home.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good, but I was going to do the calf raises with dumbbells, since I unfortunately don't have a gym membership and have to workout at home.
do you have stairs at you home?