when and how long to do cardio - AnabolicMinds.com

when and how long to do cardio

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

when and how long to do cardio

Should I do cardio as a warmup on the same day I work my legs and do squats and deadlifts, or is it better I do cardio on the days I work my chest and arms. Also how long should I do cardio? I have a gazelle(didn't buy it) at home and was wondering if that is sufficient or am I better off jogging. I much rather have an exercise bike.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'2"  120 lbs.

I think it's best to do cardio on days when you're not weight training. But I've heard that if you must do them on the same day you either:

1. Do cardio first, then wait about 3 to 4 hours before starting with your weight training.
    2. Do weights first, then do cardio.

As for how long to do it, usually a good 30 to 40 minutes 3 times a week is sufficient. I personally go about 30 minutes of HIIT.
  3. Senior Member

it all depends what your goals are, every question you asked has a different purpose and answer
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by KgTomCat View Post
    it all depends what your goals are, every question you asked has a different purpose and answer
    Increase endurance, but not burn off too many calories since I am bulking.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

I did the gazelle for about 15 minutes today and I didn't like how it made my legs feel. Has anyone tried this machine and know if it's any good?
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Increase endurance, but not burn off too many calories since I am bulking.
    your going to burn more calories trying to increase endurance, gaining mass and endurance are two totally different things. yes, this is what everyone wants, but then we would look like comic book heroes
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

your going to burn more calories trying to increase endurance, gaining mass and endurance are two totally different things. yes, this is what everyone wants, but then we would look like comic book heroes
    would you cut out cardio all together or just do like cardio?
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

I do cardio after i train with weights. I have a life outside the gym, work 50-60 hours a week which makes this the only option for me. It works out fine. I have dropped 20 ish lbs in 6 weeks cutting out carbs during the week and doing some cardio this way. Strength has suffered minimally. Actually less than i thought it would.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    I do cardio after i train with weights. I have a life outside the gym, work 50-60 hours a week which makes this the only option for me. It works out fine. I have dropped 20 ish lbs in 6 weeks cutting out carbs during the week and doing some cardio this way. Strength has suffered minimally. Actually less than i thought it would.
    I've always heard to do cardio after weights.... because you waste all your energy if you do it before hand and you wont get any gains.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by D3vildog View Post
    I've always heard to do cardio after weights.... because you waste all your energy if you do it before hand and you wont get any gains.
    and your body has freed up a lot of your fatty acids and they're ready to be oxidized. Same principle behind fasted cardio before breakfast.

The type (jogging, incline walking, elliptical, bike etc etc) doesnt matter so much, just do 20-30 minutes 3x a week either fasted or post workout. If you're gaining fat too fast, add 1-2 sessions per week. If you're not gaining muscle, drop a couple of sessions. listen to your body.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

I'll throw my 2 cents....

Personally, I don't have much of a luxury of doing cardio first thing in the morning most days, so that leaves me no choice but to do cardio right after weight training. But, like someone else said before, it depends on a few factors (goals, level of current bf, level of bf you want to acheive, weight-training goals, etc.) You see, there is no real magic answer. Just a ton of variables for you to play with.

Regardless, if you have the opportunity, hit your cardio first thing in the morning. Then, in the afternoon some time, hit the weights. If you don't have that luxury, you shoudl train then hit cardio right after. Just make sure that you take in some BCAAs right after training.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

I'd still like to hear what people have to say about the gazelle vs an exercise bike. I'm really thinking of selling the gazelle. I just don't like how your legs don't bend while doing the gazelle and it makes my legs feel still.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

To reduce calorie burned stop doing the HIIT and try just walking on an incline for about 15 minutes. That will help relieve some soreness and not burn as many calories to help with bulking.

I would not do cardio before a leg day. As part of my warm up I would do about 5 minutes of stationary bike followed by stretching to get the blood flowing.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstop1616 View Post
    To reduce calorie burned stop doing the HIIT and try just walking on an incline for about 15 minutes. That will help relieve some soreness and not burn as many calories to help with bulking.

I would not do cardio before a leg day. As part of my warm up I would do about 5 minutes of stationary bike followed by stretching to get the blood flowing.
    I don't have an exercise bike, or an incline. All I have is a gazelle and a regular bike, which I can't use lately because it's so hot out.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

what about just walking around your neighborhood?
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstop1616 View Post
    what about just walking around your neighborhood?
    I just need something to do in doors for when it's unbearably hot out. I guess I could go up the stairs a few times
  17. Senior Member

there's alot of different things you can do. it ALL comes down to what do YOU want?
    personally...I dont believe any of the specifics, I can go into further detail but I wont...just keep it simple, remember the basics
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.

I just need something to do in doors for when it's unbearably hot out. I guess I could go up the stairs a few times
    a jump rope is $10. Fantastic cardio.
  19. Senior Member

DerickVonD-what bodytype are you? ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph...
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

DerickVonD-what bodytype are you? ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph...
    i have no idea.
  21. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

I do an hour of interval boxing/kickboxing twice a week and it works wonders with my 3 day DC style routine. Im leaning out and strength hasn't gone down at all.
  22. Senior Member

i have no idea.
    have you always been skinny, built, or 'big boned'
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

have you always been skinny, built, or 'big boned'
    skinny. When I was a young child I was really skinny, then by the time I got into high school I was alittle chubby. Now I'm not chubby, but I'm not skinny either. While in high school I lost a lot of body fast, when I cut out high fructose corn syrup.
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by spadesofaces View Post
    and your body has freed up a lot of your fatty acids and they're ready to be oxidized. Same principle behind fasted cardio before breakfast.

The type (jogging, incline walking, elliptical, bike etc etc) doesnt matter so much, just do 20-30 minutes 3x a week either fasted or post workout. If you're gaining fat too fast, add 1-2 sessions per week. If you're not gaining muscle, drop a couple of sessions. listen to your body.
    Good information.

Your body will tell you the truth. I used to do cardio 5 days a week and was seeing little muscle gain. I stopped performing cardio and was able to gain a tremendous amount of weight and muscle. Now I am at the point where I would like to trim some of the fat while keeping the muscle. I am doing cardio 20 minutes 3 times a week at 70 percent of my max heart rate. Seems to be working.

Follow your body.
  25. Senior Member

skinny. When I was a young child I was really skinny, then by the time I got into high school I was alittle chubby. Now I'm not chubby, but I'm not skinny either. While in high school I lost a lot of body fast, when I cut out high fructose corn syrup.
    sounds like you might be meso-endo, not sure though. IMO just listen to your body...and eat clean, if your hungry eat more, just make sure its the right cals/carbs. I eat ALL day and everyone asks me how Im not fat, I tell them, its the type of calories, not necessarily the amount...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
  2. Schwells pct for a LONG LONG LONG LONG cycle
    By schwellington in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 11:48 PM
  3. Interval Cardio & Steady State Cardio
    By baz350 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 06:58 PM