5 weeks on bench press

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I've been benching 140lb for about 4 weeks and it still hasn't gotten much easier. I was wondering if this is normal? I was only waiting 2-3 minutes between sets for about 3 weeks and heard I should wait 5 minutes between reps. I've been waiting 5 minutes between sets on all exercises for the past 2 weeks and it seems a lot easier overall and I haven't been as fatigued. I do 3 sets of 10 for all exercises or untill fail as long as I'm able to get the first set done at 10 reps.

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
I've been benching 140lb for about 4 weeks and it still hasn't gotten much easier. I was wondering if this is normal? I was only waiting 2-3 minutes between sets for about 3 weeks and heard I should wait 5 minutes between reps. I've been waiting 5 minutes between sets on all exercises for the past 2 weeks and it seems a lot easier overall and I haven't been as fatigued. I do 3 sets of 10 for all exercises or untill fail as long as I'm able to get the first set done at 10 reps.
Try doing some more sets, like 5-6 sets. Also change up the weight to get the extra sets.
Go heavy with less reps, then drop lite and go for 10-12 reps.
I always try to shoot for no less then 5 sets.
Seems to be working for me.

Good luck Bro.

JP.

Last edited:
DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Is 5 minutes a good amount of time to wait between sets?

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
5 minutes is a little long imo unless u are doing real strength training which would be around 4-6 reps. 2-3 should be fine in your training regiment. I would suggest that you could either do 1 of 2 things. 1) take a week off you may have training to the point where recovery time would benefit u or 2) eat a lot more and train with caffine and increased intensity

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
5 minutes? jeez...

you need to start doing max of 8 reps per set. each set to failure with the 8th rep being the MAX rep allowed. that goes for every compound lift, then incorporate supersets with isolation lifts. This will cause muscle growth and strength increases.

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
Is 5 minutes a good amount of time to wait between sets?
Naw..
5 mins is too long.
I like to keep the pump going, I just became a big fan of doing a HIT work out every few days or so.
Only resting like 45 secs to a min between sets.
You won't get 10 reps each time, but the pump is just unreal.
It will leave ya shakeing and knees weak afterwards.

JP.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
go 2-3 minutes.

also go 5x5. use a heavier weight since youre only going 5 reps. each week try to go up another rep till you get to 8 reps. than up the weight and go back to 5 reps. this will work wonders.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Drop sets worked wonders for me strength wise. As said, keep the weight high and the reps fairly low, between 4-6 is my number. Try slow eccentrics and explosive concentrics. 2-3 minute rest to get your ATP/CP stores back up.