Shrugs or upright rows?

keeper

Wait, tiny derail, if I may. Can someone take a sec to explain proper technique for shrugs? I've gotten conflicting info.

Thanks

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Wait, tiny derail, if I may. Can someone take a sec to explain proper technique for shrugs? I've gotten conflicting info.

Thanks
The traps are hit more directly by sticking your chest out when performing shrugs vs. slumping or leaning forward like the majority of people do.
Also keep elbows pinned to your sides.Do not flare them out.
Try it.You'll definitely feel a difference.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I always got best results with upright rows - sometimes dbs, mostly bbl.

Shrugs are better for finishing moves, or else you already have massive, heaving traps - most dont.

JassUSMC

JassUSMC

Awards
I remember years ago when I followed a Bodybuilder style of training (Lots of Isolation exercises), then moved to Powerlifting...

Shrugs never did anything for me. Infact, I saw way more growth (muscle and strength) powerlifting. I havent done a Bicep curl in probably a year, and my arms are the biggest they've been, all from compound lifts, bodyweight exercises, and a lot of hanging, and static holds (dip bars).

When I powerlifted, my traps got HUGE from upright rows. They are now bigger from Oly lifts.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I don't use either one.

I don't do shrugs because I really don't like that pseudo-cobra look on the guys who love "big" trap development. (a more 'normal' neck/shoulder transition, me)

I don't do upright rows because of the dangers inherent in the move (though I totally LOVE the upright row) - the problem is that it over works the internal shoulder rotators & can result in chronic pain, cartilage degeneration & severe range-of-motion issues (IIRC - I may have to look it up again).

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
I like uprights. But you hit more of the lateral deltoid than you do traps.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do seated DB shrugs a lot, find that I can truly isolate the trap more, and traps are my best body part (sadly)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I tried upright rows last night and it resulted in my neck hurting. I used an empty barbell to try it. Keep in mind the barbell I have is Olympic, but I thick my forum was wrong. I always have a tendency to look up. I can't seem to fix this. The problem is I think I'm not looking straight, so when I try to look straight I wind up looking up.

healthyimage

healthyimage

Awards
i also do both upright rows with dumbells to bring them up wide to the chin.....then do my shrugs toward the end of the workout.....both are good to do

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
uprights only target your traps when you do them close grip, or use a smith machine where the top of the ROM is closer to your body then it starts - machine leans towards you.

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
Hands down, deads gave me the best run for the money.

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
tnation has an excellent article this week covering the power clean. Truly a fantastic exercise. Good point jw32.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
whoa...this is so weird. I posted a little moving pic of a guy doing cleans below that link above.........only now it's a star wars pic that says "pwned". I tried editing it to put the hang clean pic back up, but again....more "pwned". Anyone know wtf that's about?

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
might be one of the dumb rules they have or a possible copyright thing

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
definitely look into the tnation article. Great stuff.

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
Power cleans wipe me out faster than squats...I tried doing 20 rep power cleans. I almost passed out at the end. I enjoy doing this stuff to myself...I think I might be drain bamaged.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Power cleans wipe me out faster than squats...I tried doing 20 rep power cleans. I almost passed out at the end. I enjoy doing this stuff to myself...I think I might be drain bamaged.
Oh man...that's crazy. They DEFINITELY tax me way harder than any other lift I do. I'm a sweaty, exhausted mess after doing hang cleans.

I think I may share your brain damage. I've been Googling hang clean videos, form, tutorials, articles, etc for the last 45 minutes. :laugh2:

YouTube - Hang Clean Form

marzanaut

marzanaut

Awards
they utilize so many different areas that it is kind of difficult to pin it down on one day if you choose to do single or 2 bodypart workouts per week. I usually pair it with shoulders and biceps as the front runner after hitting rear delts as a warmup.

loki515

Awards
dam nice vid jw, he smashed that 315 off like it was nothing. looked like freakin machine doing that set.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
UPRIRGHT ROWS ARE MORE FOR SHOULDER DEVELOPMENT. SHRUGS ARE FOR TRAPS AND SERRATUS. SHRUGS ARE A GOOD OL MASS BUILDER FOR THE TRAPS. USE UPRIGHT ROW ON SHOULDER DAY. TRAPS ARE SHOULDER ELEVATORS AND UNLESS YOU GET YOUR SHOULDERS HELLA HIGH ON UPRIGHT ROW YOUR TRAPS ARNT GOING TO BE HIT AS HARD AS WITH SHRUGS. TRY INCLINE SHRUGS THEY KICK ASS. SIT AT AN INCLINE ANGLE ON AN INCLINE BENCH AND DO DB SHRUGS. THEY KICK ASS AND HIT THE TRAPS FROM A DIFFERENT ANGLE PROMOTING MUSCLE CONFUSION AND GROWTH

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dead lifts kill them both, but I suggest all of the above. I don't understand why this is an either/or concern.

spadesofaces

Awards
heavy deads and hang power cleans all the way.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJKuIMOB6i8"]YouTube - Maryland Football Strength and Conditioning[/ame]

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
I remember years ago when I followed a Bodybuilder style of training (Lots of Isolation exercises), then moved to Powerlifting...

Shrugs never did anything for me. Infact, I saw way more growth (muscle and strength) powerlifting. I havent done a Bicep curl in probably a year, and my arms are the biggest they've been, all from compound lifts, bodyweight exercises, and a lot of hanging, and static holds (dip bars).

When I powerlifted, my traps got HUGE from upright rows. They are now bigger from Oly lifts.
word bro power cleans made my traps huge