barbell row vs one arm row

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking of switching from the barbell row to one arm rows. Is this a good idea? Does one work you upper back more?

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
BB row = more total weight for the exercise but a lot of pressure on your low back.

DB row = less weight but less strain on your back.

In your situation I would probably opt for db rows for now.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I know that the barbell row is probably a better mass builder, but anyone who has been lifting for a while will probably agree that the weight of a single dumbell that they can row will be greater than half the weight of a barbel row.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I've been having lower back pain. I think my form is off. I was thinking about switching to the dumb bell rows since I already do deadlifts for my lower back and basically just want an exercise to work my upper back, since my lower back is already getting worked with deads.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They work a little different... the barbell will be better for overall back size and strength but the dumbell row is better for pure pulling power.

Do both if and when u heal up.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
They work a little different... the barbell will be better for overall back size and strength but the dumbell row is better for pure pulling power.

Do both if and when u heal up.
Like I said I want something to work my upper back but not put too much strain on my lower back, since that is going to be worked on when I do deads. The way I'm working out I do arms and chest every other day and legs on the days I don't work my arms. So I'll be working on my lower back six days a week. Also I think I have bad form with the barbell row and find it difficult without a bend and I tend to look up and strain my neck. I have also been having lower back pain and pain above my right buttocks. I was also wondering if I wear a bent when I do deadlifts if my lower back will be worked the same or if I'm better off lowering the weight and trying to improve my form without a bent.

mwarren

Awards
there are many factors, but here's the first thing that came to my mind.

It depends greatly on the rest of your routine and whether or not you want to focus on your upper back or your lumbar and core. If I were doing a routine without enough deadlifting, for instance, I'd do the BB Rows. If I needed to focus on upper back and convered core work elsewhere, I might do the DB Rows.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Like I said I want something to work my upper back but not put too much strain on my lower back, since that is going to be worked on when I do deads. The way I'm working out I do arms and chest every other day and legs on the days I don't work my arms. So I'll be working on my lower back six days a week. Also I think I have bad form with the barbell row and find it difficult without a bend and I tend to look up and strain my neck. I have also been having lower back pain and pain above my right buttocks. I was also wondering if I wear a bent when I do deadlifts if my lower back will be worked the same or if I'm better off lowering the weight and trying to improve my form without a bent.
I'm guessing you mean a belt. For deads you don't have to use a belt if using a weight you can handle fairly easy. I'd get to the point where you don't have the low back pain before I worried about going heavy on deads. Make sure you are stretching consistently and doing a lot of hip mobility exercises as well as really working on your abdominal strength.

healthyimage

healthyimage

Awards
i like the db more control and less strain on lower back...

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing you mean a belt. For deads you don't have to use a belt if using a weight you can handle fairly easy. I'd get to the point where you don't have the low back pain before I worried about going heavy on deads. Make sure you are stretching consistently and doing a lot of hip mobility exercises as well as really working on your abdominal strength.
Well the weight I'm doing is 110lb. I was doing stretches every other day but stopped. I'm about to start doing them again. My main question is if I wear a belt while doing deads is my lower back going to be worked less? I am able to get 3 sets of 10 in, but I wouldn't say it's easy.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i wouldnt use a belt on anything unless you rly need it. i have never used a belt, even pulling 500, i think its preference but my erectors are massive. seriously, especially for someone my size. if you can keep good form, you will be ok. if your having trouble keeping form then go down in weight. thats my philosophy. but on 10 rep sets, i would rather not use it and build up my erectors.

NovaZ

Awards
I think both are staples and should be used.

But, they are different. I like how you can safely and effectively use higher reps with DB Rows. Higher reps with BB Rows are harder because your lower back gives out and holding the weight in position becomes an issue.

With the DB Rows you can do 20-30 reps per arm per set without any lower back issue and be left torched, definitely nothing like it, in my opinion. Look up KRoc Rows on YouTube, impressive stuff.

jbishop

jbishop

Awards
Form is always a must for every exercise no matter who u are.. Just because u go in the gym and stack 405lbs on the bar and do bent over rows with crappy form versus goin in the gym and slapping 225lbs on a bar and doing correct form concentrating on the muscle u are trying to work, if ur form is crappy then ur gonna risk the chance of injury.. Trust me u will get a better workout with correct form with lower weight than heavy weight that u cant control.. eventually ur form will be great and ur weight will b back to normal or even stronger, but u will look a hell of alot better.. Good Luck bro..JB

jbishop

jbishop

Awards
BB rows and one arm rows work different parts of the back.. With BBrows you will be able to develop width on ur back and for one arm rows will focus more on the thickness.. JB

Davidlee

i do both.. If my lower back gets to sore i'll skip it the next week ,and pick back up on it the next week

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO, these are the two exercises that are performed the worst. Most don't pay attention to their elbow placement, posture, shoulder adduction, etc.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
BB rows and one arm rows work different parts of the back.. With BBrows you will be able to develop width on ur back and for one arm rows will focus more on the thickness.. JB
Im gona have to disagree. For me the rows do little for my lats and more for my thickness. One arm rows dont really do it for me at all so i leave them out but with more range of motion and the angle of the elbow it would be set up for greater target of the lats. If your elbows are flared out 90 degrees, you get more thickness work. If your arms are scraping against your sides, more lats and less thickness.

Babalao

Awards
DerickVonD, if your lower back is hurting you should watching your form or your weight or both. Also if you want to target the upper back just reverse your grip and lift your shoulders some, like a yates row. I do both.

yoked317

yoked317

Awards
bb overhand row= more concentration on upper mid back.
bb underhand row= more concentration on lower lats.
db row is works both mid back and lower lats, a little more emphasis on mid back, but it is a good lift to use as a "change up". if you have back problems try using a smith machine, head up and looking forward, back straight or slightly arched upward(the opposite of hunched over) hands place relaxed shoulder width apart. if you are having back probs then you are right, your form is probably off, start out with a moderate weight that you can do 12-15 reps easily without loosing your form. change your foot placement and the angle of your back ( how far you're bent over) to suit you. once you get a good feel for it you can move back to free weights if you want.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
To me, if you are looking for an exercise to hit your upper back, why not try the Seated Cable Row with a straight-bar attachment and bring it to your chest instead of your abdominals.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
BARBELL ROW IS NOT THE BETTER MASS BUILDER. DUMBBELL ROW IS. WITH ALL BARBELL EXERCISES THE WEIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BARBELL IS DEAD WEIGHT THAT AND EACH ARM GETS TO WORK TOGETHER TO PULL THE WEIGHT UP. WITH DB IT IS ONE ARM WHICH LEADS TO EQUAL GAINS ON EACH OF THE RHOMBOID MUSCLES AND LATS. TO HIT THE LATS MORE LEAVE THE DUMBBELLS IN A VERTICAL POSTION. TO HIT THE RHOMBOIDS, AND TERES MUSCLES MORE. ROTATE THE DB HORIZONTAL POSITION AS YOU CONTRACT YOUR UPPER BACK.

jbishop

jbishop

Awards
Im gona have to disagree. For me the rows do little for my lats and more for my thickness. One arm rows dont really do it for me at all so i leave them out but with more range of motion and the angle of the elbow it would be set up for greater target of the lats. If your elbows are flared out 90 degrees, you get more thickness work. If your arms are scraping against your sides, more lats and less thickness.
exactly right!!, depends on ur grip placement while performing BB rows.. I tend to hold a wider grip which in return helps with the wideness of my back and when doin dumbell rows i like to keep my elbow close to my side resulting in the thickness.. Maybe I shoulda clarifyed a little better. JB

jbishop

jbishop

Awards
To me, if you are looking for an exercise to hit your upper back, why not try the Seated Cable Row with a straight-bar attachment and bring it to your chest instead of your abdominals.
x2 works great, good replacement..