Can I do leg presses in place of squats?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking of just doing deadlifts and leg extensions at home and once I get a gym membership doing leg presses and deadlifts instead of squats. I've been having knee pain lately. My friend told me I'm doing too much in my workout and leg presses are better for you knees. I do squats, front squats and deadlifts in the same day.

itzgambino

Awards
leg presses do not take the place of leg presses if you want the leg development that squats provide. I myself shied away from squats after minor knee surgery just as an excuse so I wouldnt have to do squats. My legs never grew the same until I started squatting again. If your having knee pain I would say goto the doctor and get it checked out to be careful. If that is all fine then just make sure your form is good when your doing squats.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
you know what? I'm not that old, but some exercises just do not work for me. every time i do squats i get back pain. front squats i can do. I've had people watch my form for me, to make sure i was correct in doing them and everything. now there is a squat machine called a "super squat" i think its made by precor, i can do that thing till I'm puking and I'm fine. point is, if theres an exercise that puts undue stress or injury on your body, don't do it.......and yes leg presses are a good alternative to squats.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I was going to do leg extensions also. Also I read squats and deadlifts work the same muscles, is that true?

itzgambino

Awards
depends on the type of deadlift you do, I believe a stiff-leg deadlift hits your calves more, other than that I forget which type of deadlift hits each part of the leg more.

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
leg press put most all of the development on the quads. or the front of the legs. squats work all major parts of the legs. from the quads, hammy, glutes. all but calves. you can skip squats but you will lack glute and hammy development. if you put in leg curls and lunges along with leg press than you would be onto something but you can get that all in one with squats. they suck but if you dont have to shy away from them because of injury than dont skip. just do em.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
depends on the type of deadlift you do, I believe a stiff-leg deadlift hits your calves more, other than that I forget which type of deadlift hits each part of the leg more.
I mean just the regular deadlifts.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
leg press put most all of the development on the quads. or the front of the legs. squats work all major parts of the legs. from the quads, hammy, glutes. all but calves. you can skip squats but you will lack glute and hammy development. if you put in leg curls and lunges along with leg press than you would be onto something but you can get that all in one with squats. they suck but if you dont have to shy away from them because of injury than dont skip. just do em.
What about doing deads leg extensions leg presses and hamstring curls? Also doesn't deadlifts work your glutes pretty well?

TravisG

TravisG

Awards
  • Established
dead lifts are mainly both lower back/hamstrings. but yes some glute gets in there. the above stated is fine but id still add in lunges for glute development. leg press, lunges, ham curl.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
dead lifts are mainly both lower back/hamstrings. but yes some glute gets in there. the above stated is fine but id still add in lunges for glute development. leg press, lunges, ham curl.
I hate lunges. last time I tried them with just 30lbs with the barbell I fell down.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I think it all depends on what the overall goal is. Squats work out considerably more muscle groups and also help develop coordination. Leg press isolates the legs and removes all extraneous factors such as balance and allows one to push the leg muscles much harder than you ever could in a squat.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
What type of shoes do you wear?
Have you ever considered box squats?
Do you do TKE's?
Do you have any pre-exsisting conditions with your knees?
How is the range of motion in your ankles?
When you squat do you bend at your knees first or at your hips?

Leg presses are not going to give you the same development as squats, but if your not a competitive athlete they are a viable option for leg work. Like others have said just make sure to include direct hamstring and glute work. Also if your knees are bothering I don't know how you can stand doing leg extensions as they put a lot of strain on the ligaments around your knees.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
What type of shoes do you wear?
Have you ever considered box squats?
Do you do TKE's?
Do you have any pre-exsisting conditions with your knees?
How is the range of motion in your ankles?
When you squat do you bend at your knees first or at your hips?

Leg presses are not going to give you the same development as squats, but if your not a competitive athlete they are a viable option for leg work. Like others have said just make sure to include direct hamstring and glute work. Also if your knees are bothering I don't know how you can stand doing leg extensions as they put a lot of strain on the ligaments around your knees.
I bend at the hips. After reading these posts I might still do squats, but just cut out front squats or do front squats but cutout squats. My knees have been hurting recently, but I don't know why. I don't wear any shoes while squatting since I workout at home.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Nobody noticed he is doing Squats/Front Squats/Deadlifts all on the same day? Not sure how much weight your pushing or what percent of your max you're using but working all 3 of those intensely would put me out of commission for about 2 weeks. Seperate them in your workouts would be my recommendation. And work box squats as I find I sit back better with them lessening the knee stress and working my posterior chain more.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Video tape yourself squatting as you normally would one of these days and we can see if you have any issues that may be attributing to your knee pain.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Nobody noticed he is doing Squats/Front Squats/Deadlifts all on the same day? Not sure how much weight your pushing or what percent of your max you're using but working all 3 of those intensely would put me out of commission for about 2 weeks. Seperate them in your workouts would be my recommendation. And work box squats as I find I sit back better with them lessening the knee stress and working my posterior chain more.
Well maybe you guys can help me setup a workout plan.
Here is what I was doing. The date below the exercise is when I switch. Normally if I can't do one set of 10 when I switch I go back and do the same weight another week.

Curls
July 20

wrist Curls
July 20

forearm wrist Curls
July 20

Hammer Curls
July 20

Flys
July 27

deadlift
July 27

Military press
july 20

barbell row
july 20

squat
July 20

benchpress
july 20

Front Squat
August 4

I was doing all these in the same day. Here is the routine I was thinking of changing to.

Arms and Chest: Monday Wednesday Friday

wrist Curls
July 20

forearm wrist Curls
July 20

Hammer Curls
July 20

Flys
July 27

Military press
August 5

barbell row
july 20

benchpress
july 20

Triceps Extensions
August 5

Legs: Tuesday Thursday Saturday

deadlift
July 28

Leg Extension
August 6

Hamstring Extension
August 6

squat
July 20

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Well maybe you guys can help me setup a workout plan.
Here is what I was doing. The date below the exercise is when I switch. Normally if I can't do one set of 10 when I switch I go back and do the same weight another week.

Curls
July 20

wrist Curls
July 20

forearm wrist Curls
July 20

Hammer Curls
July 20

Flys
July 27

deadlift
July 27

Military press
july 20

barbell row
july 20

squat
July 20

benchpress
july 20

Front Squat
August 4

I was doing all these in the same day. Here is the routine I was thinking of changing to.

Arms and Chest: Monday Wednesday Friday

wrist Curls
July 20

forearm wrist Curls
July 20

Hammer Curls
July 20

Flys
July 27

Military press
August 5

barbell row
july 20

benchpress
july 20

Triceps Extensions
August 5

Legs: Tuesday Thursday Saturday

deadlift
July 28

Leg Extension
August 6

Hamstring Extension
August 6

squat
July 20
One thing you have to be careful of if you are pushing to failure or close to it is that you are doing something every day puts stress on your lower back. MWF it's barbell rows, T/Th/S you are doing squats and deadlifts. If you aren't going to failure or aren't lifting pretty heavy you'd be fine. Either way though I'm not a fan of what you are doing or are wanting to switch to. That's only leaving you 1 day each week to rest and your are essentially doing the same workout every 2 days. Break it up and rotate it. I personally don't like lifting any more than 4 days each week. For a basic progressive routine look into a 5x5 or Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program. They're both great programs that allow for some variation and rotation to prevent stalling while your progress.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
One thing you have to be careful of if you are pushing to failure or close to it is that you are doing something every day puts stress on your lower back. MWF it's barbell rows, T/Th/S you are doing squats and deadlifts. If you aren't going to failure or aren't lifting pretty heavy you'd be fine. Either way though I'm not a fan of what you are doing or are wanting to switch to. That's only leaving you 1 day each week to rest and your are essentially doing the same workout every 2 days. Break it up and rotate it. I personally don't like lifting any more than 4 days each week. For a basic progressive routine look into a 5x5 or Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program. They're both great programs that allow for some variation and rotation to prevent stalling while your progress.
Well instead of doing barbell rows, what I heard I could do was lay on my stomach have my head stick out from the end of the bench and lift dumbbells up to work my upper back. How does that sound?

keeper

Being a lightweight female, I'm not sure if my input will matter, but I had a knee injury in 2007 that required physical therapy. Box squats were a part of my therapy protocol in the latter weeks. I like doing box squats holding a 35 lb plate.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Stiff leg deads hit primarily the hamstrings.

Secondary muscles are lower/upper back,shoulders and glutes.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If I may.

Some people,for whatever the reason may be,can't legitimately do squats or deads,but MANY use it as an excuse,because they are serious,energy draining compound movements.

You will NEVER achieve your full potential on any major lift without incorporating them both in your regimen.

"Sack up" and go to work!

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Being a lightweight female, I'm not sure if my input will matter, but I had a knee injury in 2007 that required physical therapy. Box squats were a part of my therapy protocol in the latter weeks. I like doing box squats holding a 35 lb plate.
Keep,

Your input always matters.
Major respect for the ladies who are serious about weight training such as yourself:notworthy:

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I hate lunges. last time I tried them with just 30lbs with the barbell I fell down.
those exercises that "you hate", those are the ones you need to works on. i used to hate running, now after forceing myself to do more of it, i've come to like it, not love it mind you, but like it. same thing with deadlifts, i used to hate deadlifts caus ei could not do them well, but now after 3 months or so, i love them....those i do love. same thing with lunges and you. keep at them and you might at least like them, maybe not love them but who knows?

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Well instead of doing barbell rows, what I heard I could do was lay on my stomach have my head stick out from the end of the bench and lift dumbbells up to work my upper back. How does that sound?
You could do that. My personal favorite for building my upper back (aside from deadlifts) is weighted chins and Kroc rows.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
those exercises that "you hate", those are the ones you need to works on. i used to hate running, now after forceing myself to do more of it, i've come to like it, not love it mind you, but like it. same thing with deadlifts, i used to hate deadlifts caus ei could not do them well, but now after 3 months or so, i love them....those i do love. same thing with lunges and you. keep at them and you might at least like them, maybe not love them but who knows?
Well I'm better off going back to squats then. I don't really have enough room in my room to do lunges. I'm still wondering even if I switch to the workout that I stated if I'll be doing too much and which squat I should stick with the regular squat or the front squat. I would have to cut one out or at least alternate them, but I'm not sure when to alternate, because I've never really alternated before.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Well I'm better off going back to squats then. I don't really have enough room in my room to do lunges. I'm still wondering even if I switch to the workout that I stated if I'll be doing too much and which squat I should stick with the regular squat or the front squat.
Rotate front and back squat every couple weeks. Knee pain can come from several different things. More then likely your form is off or you have some flexibility/soft tissue tightness somewhere.

Where is the pain in your knee and is it a constant dull ache or just a sharp pain during certain movements?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Rotate front and back squat every couple weeks. Knee pain can come from several different things. More then likely your form is off or you have some flexibility/soft tissue tightness somewhere.

Where is the pain in your knee and is it a constant dull ache or just a sharp pain during certain movements?
I don't even really have pain during the exercise, but afterward a will like a day later. It's not all the time though and it's a dull pain that last afew minutes at a time.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established

If I rotated them every 3 or 4 weeks, how often do I bump up the weight? On squats I usually bump up the weight every two or three weeks. I know when I don't do an exercise for about a week or two sometimes I have to take off 10lbs and work back up especially if we're talking about the bench press but my legs can take more than my arms.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
First I'd look at your diet and make sure that you are getting enough fats and fluids since both of those help with joint health. Next I'd look at your squat form. More then likely you are shooting your knees forward over your toes when you squat. This might not cause pain during the movement but it puts a ton of stress on them that can cause joint pain like you described.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
First I'd look at your diet and make sure that you are getting enough fats and fluids since both of those help with joint health. Next I'd look at your squat form. More then likely you are shooting your knees forward over your toes when you squat. This might not cause pain during the movement but it puts a ton of stress on them that can cause joint pain like you described.
That is probably what is going on, I tested my form. Next time I do squats, should I drop the weight a little bit? Also to another your question about diet, I have been craving butter a lot lately and I am taking cod liver oil.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
That is probably what is going on, I tested my form. Next time I do squats, should I drop the weight a little bit? Also to another your question about diet, I have been craving butter a lot lately and I am taking cod liver oil.
Squat form- sit back and down (over your heels) and load into your hips instead of sitting straight down and pushing your knees forward. Drop the weight until you can get it right.

Diet- Craving butter doesn't mean you're lacking in fats. It means you are craving **** foods lol. Other than the cod liver oil how many grams of fat are you taking in each day?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Squat form- sit back and down (over your heels) and load into your hips instead of sitting straight down and pushing your knees forward. Drop the weight until you can get it right.

Diet- Craving butter doesn't mean you're lacking in fats. It means you are craving **** foods lol. Other than the cod liver oil how many grams of fat are you taking in each day?
To be honest I have no clue. I don't buy the food since I still live at home. I just eat what I can when I'm hungry. How much weight would you recommend dropping it to? I'm squatting 170 I was thinking about dropping it to 150.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
I'd drop it to 135 and get it perfect then go back up. Buy some almonds and have a small handful once or twice a day to get some extra fats. It doesn't sound like you are really counting any of your food intake so just make sure you are getting some fats and at least a gallon of water each day.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'd drop it to 135 and get it perfect then go back up. Buy some almonds and have a small handful once or twice a day to get some extra fats. It doesn't sound like you are really counting any of your food intake so just make sure you are getting some fats and at least a gallon of water each day.
I'm more than covered on the water part. I drink atl east that in a day. I was thinking if I go down to 135 if I should try going below parallel or if I should just stick with parallel for now since I'm used to it. Also I'm still don't know 100% how I'm going to alternate from squats to front squats and if I should rotate every 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4 weeks and if I have to take some weight off when I rotate and when I bump up the weight.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
I'm more than covered on the water part. I drink atl east that in a day. I was thinking if I go down to 135 if I should try going below parallel or if I should just stick with parallel for now since I'm used to it. Also I'm still don't know 100% how I'm going to alternate from squats to front squats and if I should rotate every 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4 weeks and if I have to take some weight off when I rotate and when I bump up the weight.
That's why it's good to follow a set program so you know what and how to rotate. Unless you suck at back squats or are really f'ing good at front squats you won't be front squatting the same weight as you back squat.

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Leg presses are an inferior movement to squats with not nearly as many muscle groups involved. If you "can't" (i.e. don't want to)
squat, try DB lunges. They are probably the next best thing.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
That's why it's good to follow a set program so you know what and how to rotate. Unless you suck at back squats or are really f'ing good at front squats you won't be front squatting the same weight as you back squat.
I was on stronglift 5x5 program but didn't really care for it. I progressed well on squats, but not on the other exercises and that program didn't even include things like curls.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
I was on stronglift 5x5 program but didn't really care for it. I progressed well on squats, but not on the other exercises and that program didn't even include things like curls.
I know I keep saying it but look into Wendlers 5/3/1 over at Eliftefts.com. The only lifts that you have to do are military press, deads, bench, and squats. Other then that you pick all your own accessory exercises, reps, and sets. One reason curls isn't listed in a lot of powerbuilding programs is because they aren't really necessary. You can add them in wherever you feel like since it's not going to interfere with any other aspects of your training.

One question I have is how long did you stick w/ the SL5x5? More often then not when people say that a basic program like that didn't work for this is that they didn't give it long enough to work for them. You also have to look at your nutrition more closely. Doing all the right lifts doesn't mean jack in the grand scheme of things if you aren't eating to support what you are doing in the gym. Just eating whatever doesn't count in this game if you actually want to get anywhere.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I know I keep saying it but look into Wendlers 5/3/1 over at Eliftefts.com. The only lifts that you have to do are military press, deads, bench, and squats. Other then that you pick all your own accessory exercises, reps, and sets. One reason curls isn't listed in a lot of powerbuilding programs is because they aren't really necessary. You can add them in wherever you feel like since it's not going to interfere with any other aspects of your training.

One question I have is how long did you stick w/ the SL5x5? More often then not when people say that a basic program like that didn't work for this is that they didn't give it long enough to work for them. You also have to look at your nutrition more closely. Doing all the right lifts doesn't mean jack in the grand scheme of things if you aren't eating to support what you are doing in the gym. Just eating whatever doesn't count in this game if you actually want to get anywhere.
Well in that case I won't be able to lift for a long time, since I have no money to buy my own food.

The Booger

Awards
I always tried to work both into my workouts. Seemed to work well when I was going to brute strength. I think each has their own place in a workout.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Well in that case I won't be able to lift for a long time, since I have no money to buy my own food.
Lol my last post came across a little more harsh then I intended. Try to get plenty of protein throughout the day (split up over 5-6 meals). Do the best you can with what you have. Are you trying to just gain weight or do you need to drop some BF as well?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Lol my last post came across a little more harsh then I intended. Try to get plenty of protein throughout the day (split up over 5-6 meals). Do the best you can with what you have. Are you trying to just gain weight or do you need to drop some BF as well?
I don't have a lot of BF as far as I can tell anyway. I have a little bit of a gut. Strength is my main priority, looks are secondary. I want my muscles developed like my abs, but whether or not you can see my abs isn't that big of a deal to me as long as I have the muscles developed underneath the bf. Sure having visible abs would be nice, but like I said if I can have the muscles developed under a little bit of a gut I'm fine with that. BTW thank you guys for all you support. I'm very glad I found this forum.

thenomad

thenomad

Awards
  • Established
hook it up with some Glucosamine and Chondroitin. That's what all the Geezers use for their joint health. I have to admit, I also take it for my joints! BAM!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
hook it up with some Glucosamine and Chondroitin. That's what all the Geezers use for their joint health. I have to admit, I also take it for my joints! BAM!
I might double my cod liver consumption, since I already have cod liver here.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I think I know what I'm going to do with front squats. I was thinking about doing front squats once a week and squats twice a week and switching each week from front squats once and squats twice a week to front squats twice a week and squats once the same week and switch every week.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I lowered the weight and did squats today. I squatted 140 and I am 99% sure I'm at least hitting parallel I might be going a little below parallel. My form is much better and I'm going lower then I was before.

cmc

cmc

Awards
Try one legged squats on a low box with just your body weight. 3 sets of ten for each leg. I had to stop doing them when my girl at the time noticed my glutes were getting like booty...I looked in the mirror and was like wtf??

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Squats all the way,.... ATG if you can. Presses are good for overloading the quads, maybe after squats but certainly not a replacement unless you have some sort of significant injury. Also a prob I see with ppl doing presses is they dont go all the way down. They slap on 6-8 plates on each side trying to show off, and go down like half way,... if that, most of the time. Lower the weight, put your hands on your knees or forearms on inner thighs for support, and go all the way down.