Does smoking effect your gains?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.67%

Does smoking effect your gains?

Does smoking cigarettes effect your gains from your workouts?

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

yes. google "smoking and nitrogen retention" and then "nitrogen retention and protein synthesis".
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.65%

You look at a guy like Markus ruhl and then wonder how he gets away with it. Yes, he's heavilly geared, i know.

I smoke on and off but usually chew dip. i can tell you this....after a couple of days of smoking, i look less pumped. I think it may also have to do with the smoke reducing NO production as well. You could supplement with AAKG or AEE to maybe negate the deflated look.

But in the long run, i lose intensity during heavy workouts. Less intensity will inevitably lead to slowed gains. Dip doesnt seem to have the same negative effect on me as smoke does.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.37%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i used to smoke a while back, it was one of the worst things i ever did to my body. plus, once u quit u feel SO much better and less agitated... and u save money

when i quit i hit a muscle growth spurt and gained like 7 pounds in a short time. IIRC after a cigarette your veins constrict for like 8 hours or so and it eats up 25mg of vitamin C per cigarette, which is why u may get sick more often. if you have to smoke, tho, and refuse to quit... take CoQ10 before working out, it will really help move blood better and improve circulation. it helped me when i was quitting and after i quit to get back circulation faster
  5. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.2%
    Achievements Posting Pro

There are many studies out there that show it decreases protein synthesis and decreases proper recovery, etc etc. Forgive me for not having them on hand, but its been documented quite frequently.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.06%

Quote Originally Posted by brk_nemesis View Post
    There are many studies out there that show it decreases protein synthesis and decreases proper recovery, etc etc. Forgive me for not having them on hand, but its been documented quite frequently.
    Yeah I have read the same things and have to tell everyone here its so freaking true. I am a victim of good ole copenhagen and when I quit for two weeks I had better pumps in the gym than ever. I supplement of course with AKG and it helps, but I def have to say if I could quit I am sure I would have better gains, even off cycle. Nicotine has a direct effect on nitrogen retention because the nicotine competes with the receptor sites and decreases nitorgen getting into the muscle since the receptors are blocked if memory serves me right. But again, thats why they invented google.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by JayTren3000 View Post
    You look at a guy like Markus ruhl and then wonder how he gets away with it. Yes, he's heavilly geared, i know.
    true story to follow. i was on BB.com, and one of those schmucks used markus ruhl as an example of why smoking won't harm a natural persons gains - especially hardgainers.....
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.2%

No offense (seriously), but with all of the studies and issues related to smoking impeding everything health-wise, I am shocked that you asked this question. lol Obviously, this is easy for me to say, but I say quit smoking immediately.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    4'6"  999 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.46%

Smoke weed instead.. It is much better for you

10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.67%

I quit for 3 months and just fell back into it two weeks ago.. I feel like even after I quit I'll always have that feeling lingering in the back of my mind. Kind of like being addicted for life. I'm going to try to quit again, by the way thanks for the info everyone.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.09%

I quit 5 years ago, it affected my work capacity more than my gains.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.99%

well lets see here....hurts the lungs which provide oxygen to the entire body and takes carbon dioxide away from the body as a waste product. muscles need O2 to grow and even maintain. smoking makes me more winded than not smoking so i will become fatigued quicker thus making me less likely to lift as long.....um nicotine restricts capillaries for blood flow. other than that, no smoking is cool. i quit 4 months ago and still want one sometimes, then i remember that if i have one i will have 2 and so on....i can not "control" my smoking. hats off to those who can smoke for a weekend and quit on Monday, i am not one of those people, my mind is still thinking about smoking even on Thursday, and that no way to live my week.
  13. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.69%

Yeah...im another one whos been smoking for years and wondering how much more gains i could have made without smoking.....i have noticed issues with endurance as of late and beileve it is smoking that is contributing to this,im thinking putting them down for good will be the only way i will move up to that next level that i want.... i mean the larger your muscles become the more lung capacity and o2 they need and the whole messing with nitrogen receptors is a scary thing to me.
  14. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.67%

Quote Originally Posted by rantorcha View Post
    No offense (seriously), but with all of the studies and issues related to smoking impeding everything health-wise, I am shocked that you asked this question. lol Obviously, this is easy for me to say, but I say quit smoking immediately.
    We have a winner ladies & gentlemen!!!

Cigs are the devil
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.16%

yeah i just quit about 2 weeks ago and everyday i feel better and better in the gym....the weekend before i stopped i smoked enough cigs to make me feel sick so monday when i wanted to quit it was easier...
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.28%

I remember throwing up after my first night with cigars, since then I havent smoked anything
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.12%

Yeah. Hit the gym hard, then smoke a j. Then eat good food, not junk. Lol = gains.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.17%

I just can not understand why anyone would ever want to ever start smoking especially since there is so much evidence about how much it's bad for you.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PumpDogg View Post
    Smoke weed instead.. It is much better for you

hahaha, ya it can be helpful for bulking....but can lower testosterone if used to frequently.....not to mention 2-3 joints have the same amount of tar as 25 cigarettes...and if your getting weed from canada, especially west coast I guarantee it s worse than that. God we have chronic up here!...its all we seem t have up here lately...until -48 in the winter.
  20. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.2%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    well lets see here....hurts the lungs which provide oxygen to the entire body and takes carbon dioxide away from the body as a waste product. muscles need O2 to grow and even maintain. smoking makes me more winded than not smoking so i will become fatigued quicker thus making me less likely to lift as long.....um nicotine restricts capillaries for blood flow. other than that, no smoking is cool. i quit 4 months ago and still want one sometimes, then i remember that if i have one i will have 2 and so on....i can not "control" my smoking. hats off to those who can smoke for a weekend and quit on Monday, i am not one of those people, my mind is still thinking about smoking even on Thursday, and that no way to live my week.
    Sorry to hear this bro, my father is the same. Hes been smoking 30 yrs, and even though he has had complications b/c of it, it controls him. Thankfully for me I quit 4 yrs ago, smoking a pack a day of Reds aka cowboy killas. But I was more of a social smoker,..... and used it as a stress reliever at my old job. I wasnt addicted, and got serious into working out, and stopped cold turkey. I threw up for a few days, and that was that. Now I cant stand the smell of them.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.67%

Quit now and start dipping...lol. Smoking also causes slower recovery times and hampers your progress.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smoking with gains.
    By frosty89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM
  2. Controlled Labs Golden Gains... Let the gains start coming!
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 06:13 PM
  3. smoking
    By Davidlee in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 09:00 PM
  4. Do acne meds effect muscle gains/protein synthesis
    By BigBadDbol in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 02:28 PM