Question about rep's

Davidlee

I'm lookin for strength and mass gains and I'm not to sure about how many rep's is best. I have been doing 6 - 8 for a while now but dont really feel much tighter after working out.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Everybody will tell you something different.

It's more about what works for YOUR body.
Generally maximum strength gain is found in lower 3-5 range. Some say 1-6. Its all about experimenting.

For mass gains, I trained in the 6-8, 8-10,10-12 range. Change up your ranges. always change up your workouts.

Intrigued

Awards
what about doing something like 3-5 on one exercise and 8-12 on another exercise for the same muscle group, e.g. bench and incline! would u thenget the best of both worlds??

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
what about doing something like 3-5 on one exercise and 8-12 on another exercise for the same muscle group, e.g. bench and incline! would u thenget the best of both worlds??
well everyone is different. the one thing that we all have in common is that our bodies will adapt, some quicker than others but it will adapt to whatever your doing. this is the reason that change is necessary. some keep their routine for 4 weeks some for 12 weeks. your going to need to find out what your individual needs are, this takes time and effort and your going to need to pay attention to how your body reacts. keeping a journal is a good idea until you have a good grasp on your bodies reaction to certain things. its a good tool to help you refer back too.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
i do sets to failure, max rep is 8.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm lookin for strength and mass gains and I'm not to sure about how many rep's is best. I have been doing 6 - 8 for a while now but dont really feel much tighter after working out.
There are obviously many trains of thought on the subject.

I've come to the conclusion that variety is the key.
I change rep schemes & exercises every month,or every 2-3 weeks.
Sometimes I vary from week to week.Keep your muscles guessing.

If you prescribe to same routine constantly,your muscles are basically laughing at you.They become adaptable quite easily.

thedawg3545

thedawg3545

Awards
lower reps tend to be strength, while higher reps are for toning but it depends on how your body reacts to certain exercise's

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Like everyone else said, everyone has their own opinion....but what has worked really well for me is a training system by MD columnist - Eric Broser - called Power/Rep Range/Shock.

I would quickly describe it as a 3-distinctly different weeks that incoporates all types of training from Power (4-6 reps) to Rep Ranges (7-9, 10-12, 13-15 and even 16-20) to Shock (drop sets and supersets). Once you're done, start back with power week and do 3-4 cycles and you'll see results!

Google it and let me know what you think.

Eric Broser

Eric Broser

Awards
There are obviously many trains of thought on the subject.

I've come to the conclusion that variety is the key.
I change rep schemes & exercises every month,or every 2-3 weeks.
Sometimes I vary from week to week.Keep your muscles guessing.

If you prescribe to same routine constantly,your muscles are basically laughing at you.They become adaptable quite easily.
100% true. Great response!