Training Routine

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, this is another one of those threads... Anywhoo, I'm trying to put together a solid program centered around strength, power, and stamina. I'm not too worried about muscle mass gains anymore. I simply want my 5'10" 225# frame to work better, not bigger. Here's what I've got down so far (I will edit it as suggestions come in, if any):

MON - BB Power Clean & Press (w/ full front squat), DB/BB row

TUE - Sprints, agility drills, burpees

WED - BB Squat, Pullups, Weighted Situps (on slant board)

THU - Sprints, agility drills, burpess

FRI - BB deadlift, BB bench press, Saxon Bends

SAT/SUN - light cardio, isolation lifts for bis, tris, delts

Most likely, each day will be done in a circuit (I have time constraints). Thoughts are most welcome!

Thanks!

:usa:

emdogg

Awards
don't wanna sound like and idiot, but what are burpess?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
don't wanna sound like and idiot, but what are burpess?
You can find a detailed description at crossfit.com.

But, basically, from standing you drop down to a pushup position, then forcefully push yourself back up fast enough so that you can bring your feet back under you and stand up.

I think they were called "down and ups" in HS football.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
looks like for your goals- a solid framework for power, stamina, strength. i think i would be concerned w/ some muscle atrophy of some of the smaller muscle groups like bi's,, tri's, rear delts..i guess i am however so ingrained in my mind in terms of training like a bodybuilder..those are some tough compound movements..i just might add some sets of smaller muscle groups on maybe sat.? good luck- and 5'10" @ 225 is def. a soild build.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
looks like for your goals- a solid framework for power, stamina, strength. i think i would be concerned w/ some muscle atrophy of some of the smaller muscle groups like bi's,, tri's, rear delts..i guess i am however so ingrained in my mind in terms of training like a bodybuilder..those are some tough compound movements..i just might add some sets of smaller muscle groups on maybe sat.? good luck- and 5'10" @ 225 is def. a soild build.
I'm not real worried about a small amount of atrophy. Of course, I don't want to completely deflate to 180lbs, either.

Narrow grip chins really hammer my biceps, and I bench w/ a pretty close (PL style) grip, so the tris get some work there, too.

But, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do some auxiliary isolation work on the weekends. I'm thinking circuits of bicep curls, tricep ext., and rev. flies.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Rows have been recommended. I thought that with the cleans, deads, and pullups, the back would be hit pretty good.

Thoughts?

emdogg

Awards
Oh!!!!.......... up-downs coaches make us do that when they get pissed! lol

emdogg

Awards
do DB rows for sure as your cleans, deads, and pull-ups all hit different spots on the back. DB rows are almost anterior deltoids rather than back

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
do DB rows for sure as your cleans, deads, and pull-ups all hit different spots on the back. DB rows are almost anterior deltoids rather than back
I think you mean posterior deltoids. I do think that wide grip BB rows hit the rear delts pretty well. But, normal-grip BB rows and DB rows seem to really nail the lats and not so much the rear delts.

I may throw wide grip rows in somewhere.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
I think you mean posterior deltoids. I do think that wide grip BB rows hit the rear delts pretty well. But, normal-grip BB rows and DB rows seem to really nail the lats and not so much the rear delts.

I may throw wide grip rows in somewhere.
My post. delts blew up on wide grip barbell rows, but I only do powercleans, deadlifts and pullups now for back and they're still big.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Looks pretty solid to me. Try it out for a while, you can always tweak it later if you need to. :biggthumpup: