seat shoulder press - AnabolicMinds.com

seat shoulder press

1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

seat shoulder press

when i shoulder press i use dumbbells most of the time and switch it up to a barbell once in awhile, but the question i have is when i sit down and as i go higher in weight it feels like i'm sliding off the seat, has anyone else experienced this? i feel like it ruins my form, i usually use an adjustable bench and put it straight up but latly i've been putting it one spot back so it feels like i don't slide but is that in turn putting more pressure on my upper chest, it's defiantly not even close to the incline when doing incline bench press, i just dont know whats going on on....anyone have any suggestions or have experienced this before?

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.

Your trying to turn it into an incline press because your stronger there, your body is naturally going to put the load where you are the strongest. Try tucking your feet closer to your body and then driving yourself back into the bench while pressing.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

that makes sense because my incline is pretty much just as strong as my flat bench, because my flat bench is pretty awful, but whats with the sliding affect, i thought it might be the seat mixed with mesh shorts not gripping the seat very well, i was thinking about getting a towel and putting it on the seat for extra traction
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

I experience the same issue the higher I go up in weight.

I think you would be better served to drop the weight and concentrate on STRICT form,an a full range of motion.It's not about "heavy" with shoulders.

Works for me.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

Learn to do them standing.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    Learn to do them standing.
    Do this. I believe Jim Wendler said that seated military presses turn into incline presses 100% of the time. Besides, if you're standing it's very difficult to cheat the movement.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

i read a great article on tnation on how you should do standing press till u get to doing your own body weight then doing push press once u get above. look into that you can do so much more with push press that if ur form slips it hits ur shoulders just as much as if u had perfect form and were using 50lbs less.

and i know exactly whatu mean for shoulders. try arching ur lower back a little. but it just comes down to how much is "perfect form" worth if ur using 20 lb dumbells vs using 50 pounders and decent form.?
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

The people I know with the biggest, strongest shoulders are strongman competitors (I know a couple high level amatuer strongmen). They do 99% of their work standing, so I would follow their lead.
    If you can't use as much weight standing, keep working on it until you get stronger. Everyone has to start somewhere.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

i do it standing sometimes, but i feel like i don't have good posture and put to much pressure on my lower back
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

don't get me wrong, i get a good feeling when doing shoulder presses like a pump, not the extent of bicep or chest pump but i do feel a burn and it feels like a pump type feeling so i don't think what i'm doing is totally bad form but i just found what was happening odd
  11. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Do this. I believe Jim Wendler said that seated military presses turn into incline presses 100% of the time. Besides, if you're standing it's very difficult to cheat the movement.
    Standing presses are great.I'm do them quite frequently,but it's just as easy to cheat standing as sitting.Too much weight,and you arch your back.It's inevitable.Your back will compensate for the overload.
  12. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

I only do rear, and lateral raises seated. BB presses are done standing, a few sets with very strict form, then I overload the bar and do a few more sets using a little body momentum. Finish up with high rep raises. Its seems to be doing the trick for a while now. DB presses just dont like me.
  13. Advanced Member

tilt the seat up
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by H8duke View Post
    Standing presses are great.I'm do them quite frequently,but it's just as easy to cheat standing as sitting.Too much weight,and you arch your back.It's inevitable.Your back will compensate for the overload.
    Not if you finish them like an olympic lift. You cannot cheat this way. Of course if you let the bar drift out in front and lean back you can cheat, but if you lift in the plane that a proper push press or jerk is done, you cannot cheat. Doing shoulder presses standing completely out in front of you i feel robs you of the whole point of doing them anyway, you lose the stimulation of the entire shoulder, especially all the smaller muscles and place the entire load on your front delts and back.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

The sliding is from a mix of sweat and the bench plus putting your force into your toes instead of your heals.

I also agree that standing presses are much better for mass and strength, but most people do not train their core properly for such a lift.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Do you have a "chair" instead of adjustable incline bench. We have one that has a foot bar on it. You can push yourself into the seat with it. I don't like using it feet on the floor since I feel like the whole seat slides back on the floor.

Similar Forum Threads

1. shoulder & db press
    By Exercise123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 09:24 AM
  2. Dumbell Shoulder Press?
    By alih92 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM
  3. Shoulder press i HATE it.
    By repmks in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 02:08 AM
  4. Shoulder press
    By onimusha in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 12:05 AM
  5. Smith shoulder press, seat straight or seat slightly angled?
    By Wichard20 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:59 PM