Are front squats bad for your neck?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I was talking to my friend who has worked out since before I was born and he told me front squats are bad for your neck.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
They get me more in the upper-middle back than in the neck.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was talking to my friend who has worked out since before I was born and he told me front squats are bad for your neck.
No, front squats are not bad for your neck. They're not bad for anything unless you have exceptionally terrible form; which is hard to do, since they're one of those exercises that FORCES good technique.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

True74Seneca

No, front squats are not bad for you neck. They're not bad for anything unless you have exceptionally terrible form; which is hard to do, since they're one of those exercises that FORCES good technique.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
^^^^^ Exactly, well put :damnit: you beat me too it.

dropshot001

Awards
it could he hard on the shoulders if it starts to roll down your arms. you have to make sure that you keep your upper back "tight" so that you keep the form throughout. squats, if anything, would be hard on your neck because the weight is directly on the neck.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
it could he hard on the shoulders if it starts to roll down your arms. you have to make sure that you keep your upper back "tight" so that you keep the form throughout. squats, if anything, would be hard on your neck because the weight is directly on the neck.
The weight should only be that close to your neck if your doing high bar squats. Otherwise, it should rest on your scapula. And i do find front squats hard on my shoulders, and my form is not bad, Its just an off movement for myself.

dropshot001

Awards
The weight should only be that close to your neck if your doing high bar squats. Otherwise, it should rest on your scapula. And i do find front squats hard on my shoulders, and my form is not bad, Its just an off movement for myself.
should have been a little clearer. with that one. i am not a true high bar squatter, but the pressure that it puts on the neck region just through the sheer weight in the general area and the somewhat awkward position the neck is put in (with the arch, the looking upward, etc) has caused my neck to be bugged by back squats.