Are front squats bad for your neck?

  1. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Are front squats bad for your neck?


    I was talking to my friend who has worked out since before I was born and he told me front squats are bad for your neck.

  2. Future
    Guest
    Future's Avatar

    No. If anything they are hard on the shoulders.
  3. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,713
    Rep Power
    513546
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    89.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    They get me more in the upper-middle back than in the neck.
    •   
       

  4. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,189
    Rep Power
    493836
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    53.42%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I was talking to my friend who has worked out since before I was born and he told me front squats are bad for your neck.
    No, front squats are not bad for your neck. They're not bad for anything unless you have exceptionally terrible form; which is hard to do, since they're one of those exercises that FORCES good technique.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. True74Seneca
    Guest
    True74Seneca's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    No, front squats are not bad for you neck. They're not bad for anything unless you have exceptionally terrible form; which is hard to do, since they're one of those exercises that FORCES good technique.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    ^^^^^ Exactly, well put you beat me too it.
  6. New Member
    dropshot001's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    121
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    97.32%

    it could he hard on the shoulders if it starts to roll down your arms. you have to make sure that you keep your upper back "tight" so that you keep the form throughout. squats, if anything, would be hard on your neck because the weight is directly on the neck.
  7. Senior Member
    dedlifter1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,633
    Rep Power
    900
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    7.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dropshot001 View Post
    it could he hard on the shoulders if it starts to roll down your arms. you have to make sure that you keep your upper back "tight" so that you keep the form throughout. squats, if anything, would be hard on your neck because the weight is directly on the neck.
    The weight should only be that close to your neck if your doing high bar squats. Otherwise, it should rest on your scapula. And i do find front squats hard on my shoulders, and my form is not bad, Its just an off movement for myself.
  8. New Member
    dropshot001's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    121
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    97.32%

    Quote Originally Posted by dedlifter1 View Post
    The weight should only be that close to your neck if your doing high bar squats. Otherwise, it should rest on your scapula. And i do find front squats hard on my shoulders, and my form is not bad, Its just an off movement for myself.
    should have been a little clearer. with that one. i am not a true high bar squatter, but the pressure that it puts on the neck region just through the sheer weight in the general area and the somewhat awkward position the neck is put in (with the arch, the looking upward, etc) has caused my neck to be bugged by back squats.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. help me with front squats!!!
    By mkretz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM
  2. Front Squats...
    By MiKeY ReSp in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 03:23 AM
  3. glen's demonstration of front squats
    By Beelzebub in forum General Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in