HIIT on Eliptical Questions

LAGear

LAGear

Awards
  • Established
I'm transitioning from HIIT running to doing my HIIT on an eliptical in an effort to spare my joints. I don't have any serious issues with running but think it might be a good idea to reduce impact.

Question is this - Do I need to vary resistance or can I just vary intensity?

I've been doing 1:00/2:00 intervals on the lowest resistance setting. During high intensity intervals I'm "peddling" as fast as I can and doing ~100 RPM @ ~200 watts. Low intensity intervals I'm going ~75 RPM @ ~150 watts. Should I increase the machine's resistance setting during either the high or low intervals?

My goal is to cut without losing mass, hopefully add a little mass.

Can HIIT on the eliptical be as effective as running? I use the type of eliptical machine with the swinging bars that look like ski poles. If this is not as effective as running would the stair climber or stationary bike any better?

joelast

joelast

Awards
I hate being surrounded by fat bitches so i stay away from the ellipticals, but in theroy HIIT should work on any type of equipment. I do it on the bike alot by increasing resistance and keeping rmp's about the same. I've also done some interval training on the stair climber, it sucks, but its definatley some good cardio. I think Erki Frankhouser wrote an piece about his interval routine in last months MD If you wanna check it out.

But from personal experience the bike and stair climber work.

LAGear

LAGear

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, but I think I muddled my main question with a lot of peripheral questions.

My main question is this - Is HIIT effective at the lowest resistance setting while varying my speed, or do I need to vary resistance for best results?

When I run there is no change in resistance, it's all flat and I just change speeds between high/low intensity intervals. So I've been doing the same on the eliptical but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about it.

joelast

joelast

Awards
If it were me I would vary the resistance and try to maintain a constant RPM. I think the ellipticals motion would limit your ability to go all out at a lower reistance.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
this is what i just started.....3 minute warm up, then put the resistance up to like 18 or so (don't know what kind of manufacture makes your equiptment) for like 30 seconds or 1 minute if i can handle it, and go balls out for that time, then back down to resistance 1, so on and so forth. if just started HIIT, so i'm kind of taking it easy to get the feel for it, but doing this gets my HR up into the 170's or low 180's and that close to 90% of my max, so that s/b good

LAGear

LAGear

Awards
  • Established
I don't have experience with a lot of different elipticals because I've never really cared for cardio machines but with the elipticals at my gym I have no problem going balls out as fast as I can. The machines are rather stable with big platforms for your feet.

I'll try varying the resistance but then I've got to keep fiddling with the buttons every minute or two which seems like a PITA.

LT*

LT*

Awards
  • Established
I've done it both ways. I gravitate towards increasing intensity rather than resistance. It feels more like running HIIT to me. Why use the lowest setting though. You can do it on any setting. I usually double (and then some) my rpms for the sprint portion of it regardless of what level I'm doing. I use the resistance to increase intensity over time. So I may start at like level 5, and then a few weeks later I would be up to level 7 or 8. Plus, there is no waiting for the machine to adjust to the new resistance. Again more like running.

klownh8er

Awards
love it on the elliptical, works great for me. Not a fan of the treadmill because it takes too long to get to speed and slow down

LAGear

LAGear

Awards
  • Established
I've done it both ways. I gravitate towards increasing intensity rather than resistance. It feels more like running HIIT to me. Why use the lowest setting though. You can do it on any setting. I usually double (and then some) my rpms for the sprint portion of it regardless of what level I'm doing. I use the resistance to increase intensity over time. So I may start at like level 5, and then a few weeks later I would be up to level 7 or 8. Plus, there is no waiting for the machine to adjust to the new resistance. Again more like running.
Reason I was using the lowest setting is because I could go faster during high intensity intervals.

But after reading this thread I've decided that like everything else I should keep changing thing up. Some days I'll use a higher resistance level throughout, some days I'll vary resistance between high/low intensity intervals, some days I'll use the lowest setting throughout.

When there is no single right answer, sometimes the right answer is to do everything.

Thanks for input everyone.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I usually just raise my rpms on the elliptical as well. Every now and then I would increase the resistance and speed. They both have worked wonders for me

keeper

I agree and use this method, also. But rather than watching rpms, I focus on my heart rate. I do the elip for 3 weeks, then vary to the treadmill for 3 weeks. I HATE the bike.

I have buds who swear by jumping rope and the stair master. If you really focus and have a portable heart rate monitor, you can even use parts of your lifting routine. Deadlifts, squats and other compound movements could work. Also, plyometric moves such as jump squats would be ideal.

LAGear

LAGear

Awards
  • Established
I agree and use this method, also. But rather than watching rpms, I focus on my heart rate. I do the elip for 3 weeks, then vary to the treadmill for 3 weeks. I HATE the bike.

I have buds who swear by jumping rope and the stair master. If you really focus and have a portable heart rate monitor, you can even use parts of your lifting routine. Deadlifts, squats and other compound movements could work. Also, plyometric moves such as jump squats would be ideal.
Thanks for reminding me about jump rope.

About ten years ago I was jumping a lot of rope and totally forgot about it. For cardio it's hard to beat. If you aren't used to it you'll struggle to do five minutes even if you can comfortably run five miles.

Your buds are right about jump rope it's a GREAT workout and easy to vary intensity. I'm going to break mine out and add it to my regimen. The best part is that you can just step outside your door and do it; you don't need to go anywhere or need any fancy equipment.