Building serratus anterior muscles - AnabolicMinds.com

Building serratus anterior muscles

1. New Member

Building serratus anterior muscles

The only exercise that seems to make these muscles sore are pushups. Is there any other exercise that works them?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

pull overs
  3. New Member

I heard pullovers were good for them too, though I never had any next day soreness from doing it. Never saw any results either.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

pushups on medicine balls work the anterior delts
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

There's really not much there. Not meant to be a big bulky muscle. It's main purpose is protection. It does help in moving the scapula but minimally. Anything to move the scapula up would also hit it. Pull overs, shrugs, overhead pressing, pushups etc.
  6. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
    There's really not much there. Not meant to be a big bulky muscle. It's main purpose to protection. It does help in moving the scapula but minimally. Anything to move the scapula up would also hit it. Pull overs, shrugs, overhead pressing, etc.
    I've done all those but I'm still pretty boney around the ribs there.

I'm wondering what it is about pushups that's so different from benches and other chest exercises when it comes to this.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

It could have something to do with genetics as well. I know even back before I started working out, before I knew what the hell a serratus was lol, mine were always very prominent. I have a wider build though too, so that might have something to do with it. Just some food for thought. Lying pullovers, and standing cable pulldowns always seemed to work well for me. And I rarely had any next day soreness of the serratus muscles.
  8. New Member

I'll put some cash on genetics there.

I just find it interesting how I always have soreness there the day after a lot of pushups. That's the only time I feel like I worked them.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  275 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon75 View Post
    I'll put some cash on genetics there.

I just find it interesting how I always have soreness there the day after a lot of pushups. That's the only time I feel like I worked them.
    Why are you noting soreness as your main indicator of how hard they were hit? If something isnt neccessarily really sore it doesnt mean it hasnt been worked adequately or sufficiently.

Anytime there is scapular abduction, the serratus is being worked. My guess is you experience it the most with push ups because at the top of the motion you continue in abduction of the scapula after the actual push up has been finished and thats what hits them.

Jason 2549's post explains it well. Ive also found that when I do heavy DB Rows with a little english, the side of the body that is stabilizing me on the bench as the other arm is doing the Row, involves a lot of oblique and serratus recruitment.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Pullovers on a stability ball.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaZ View Post
    Why are you noting soreness as your main indicator of how hard they were hit? If something isnt neccessarily really sore it doesnt mean it hasnt been worked adequately or sufficiently.

Anytime there is scapular abduction, the serratus is being worked. My guess is you experience it the most with push ups because at the top of the motion you continue in abduction of the scapula after the actual push up has been finished and thats what hits them.

Jason 2549's post explains it well. Ive also found that when I do heavy DB Rows with a little english, the side of the body that is stabilizing me on the bench as the other arm is doing the Row, involves a lot of oblique and serratus recruitment.
    Scapular ABduction....exactly the term I was thinking of but couldn't dig it out of my brain lol. Well put my friend. And you are spot on about the DB rows and the stabilizing arm.

While doing pushups, and the standing cable pull downs, try to focus on abducting the scapula as much as you can and you'll really hit the Serratus. And as someone stated above, don't read too much into it if you're not noticing DOMS in the Serratus.
  12. New Member

You could try punches with light dumbells or pullovers compounded with some heavy bag work.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Building Your Character by Building Your Body
    By Future in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 08:26 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 03:05 PM
  3. Serratus Anterior
    By Tom 185 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 07:23 AM