Building serratus anterior muscles

Abaddon75

Abaddon75

Awards
The only exercise that seems to make these muscles sore are pushups. Is there any other exercise that works them?

Abaddon75

Abaddon75

Awards
I heard pullovers were good for them too, though I never had any next day soreness from doing it. Never saw any results either.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
pushups on medicine balls work the anterior delts

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
There's really not much there. Not meant to be a big bulky muscle. It's main purpose is protection. It does help in moving the scapula but minimally. Anything to move the scapula up would also hit it. Pull overs, shrugs, overhead pressing, pushups etc.

Abaddon75

Abaddon75

Awards
There's really not much there. Not meant to be a big bulky muscle. It's main purpose to protection. It does help in moving the scapula but minimally. Anything to move the scapula up would also hit it. Pull overs, shrugs, overhead pressing, etc.
I've done all those but I'm still pretty boney around the ribs there.

I'm wondering what it is about pushups that's so different from benches and other chest exercises when it comes to this.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
It could have something to do with genetics as well. I know even back before I started working out, before I knew what the hell a serratus was lol, mine were always very prominent. I have a wider build though too, so that might have something to do with it. Just some food for thought. Lying pullovers, and standing cable pulldowns always seemed to work well for me. And I rarely had any next day soreness of the serratus muscles.

Abaddon75

Abaddon75

Awards
I'll put some cash on genetics there.

I just find it interesting how I always have soreness there the day after a lot of pushups. That's the only time I feel like I worked them.

NovaZ

Awards
I'll put some cash on genetics there.

I just find it interesting how I always have soreness there the day after a lot of pushups. That's the only time I feel like I worked them.
Why are you noting soreness as your main indicator of how hard they were hit? If something isnt neccessarily really sore it doesnt mean it hasnt been worked adequately or sufficiently.

Anytime there is scapular abduction, the serratus is being worked. My guess is you experience it the most with push ups because at the top of the motion you continue in abduction of the scapula after the actual push up has been finished and thats what hits them.

Jason 2549's post explains it well. Ive also found that when I do heavy DB Rows with a little english, the side of the body that is stabilizing me on the bench as the other arm is doing the Row, involves a lot of oblique and serratus recruitment.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Why are you noting soreness as your main indicator of how hard they were hit? If something isnt neccessarily really sore it doesnt mean it hasnt been worked adequately or sufficiently.

Anytime there is scapular abduction, the serratus is being worked. My guess is you experience it the most with push ups because at the top of the motion you continue in abduction of the scapula after the actual push up has been finished and thats what hits them.

Jason 2549's post explains it well. Ive also found that when I do heavy DB Rows with a little english, the side of the body that is stabilizing me on the bench as the other arm is doing the Row, involves a lot of oblique and serratus recruitment.
Scapular ABduction....exactly the term I was thinking of but couldn't dig it out of my brain lol. Well put my friend. And you are spot on about the DB rows and the stabilizing arm.

While doing pushups, and the standing cable pull downs, try to focus on abducting the scapula as much as you can and you'll really hit the Serratus. And as someone stated above, don't read too much into it if you're not noticing DOMS in the Serratus.

diezel

Awards
  • Established
You could try punches with light dumbells or pullovers compounded with some heavy bag work.