Break routine...

mcgee1516

Awards
Hey guys,

Quick question, I'm thinking about doing some sort of break regiment, as in say, 1 week off every 2 or 3 months. Just so I don't get too burnt out in my routine (I do a 4 day workout week). What do you guys think? Will it hinder any gains, or can it actually be positive? I've done a search and I can't really seem to find anything specifically about taking days/weeks off. Thanks :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys,

Quick question, I'm thinking about doing some sort of break regiment, as in say, 1 week off every 2 or 3 months. Just so I don't get too burnt out in my routine (I do a 4 day workout week). What do you guys think? Will it hinder any gains, or can it actually be positive? I've done a search and I can't really seem to find anything specifically about taking days/weeks off. Thanks :)
You SHOULD be having at least a week off resistance training (if not ALL training) every 2-3 months. It's not going to hinder gains at all, but be beneficial, as it allows your body to recover. And you should have at least one day a week off ALL training, for the same purpose. Otherwise you just end up overtraining and burning out (if you trained every day every week of the year you wouldn't last long, trust me). NOT taking breaks WILL hinder gains and results.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i agree, when i worked out 3 or 4days because of my work schedule i'd only take 4 days off every 3 months, now that i got a new job and could workout 5 days a week i plan on taking about 6 days off every 3 months, not that i won't be active for those 6 days and eat like a pig, but concentrate on sleeping and doing random activities that might break a sweat outside in the heat if it's possible

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Totally agree with the above. We grow when we are able to recover and rest is part of it. Besides, there are also CNS issues that recover during that week off. Think of it like climbing a set of stairs...you take 4-5 steps up during your 8-10 week training cycle. Maybe you take 1 step back during that week off, but that step back allows you to take 4-5 more steps upward!

Is that something you'd be interested in? lol

mcgee1516

Awards
Totally agree with the above. We grow when we are able to recover and rest is part of it. Besides, there are also CNS issues that recover during that week off. Think of it like climbing a set of stairs...you take 4-5 steps up during your 8-10 week training cycle. Maybe you take 1 step back during that week off, but that step back allows you to take 4-5 more steps upward!

Is that something you'd be interested in? lol
haha yupp