Am I doing the right thing for bigger arms?

  1. Am I doing the right thing for bigger arms?


    Can someone critique my workout to get bigger arms?

    I combine delts, bis and tris all on the same day. Is that good or should i seperate them?

    I start off doing shoulders until i feel cramping in my delts and then i move onto bis. For my bis, i start off with heavy weights about 10 times and then I slowly decrease the weight not too much. I move onto triceps afterwards and i alternate between bis and tris. I try to keep the same number of reps per set as I slowly decrease the weight. After my workout, my arms get swollen and become inflated. Is this a good thing? I mean, I can keep going with the light weights but should I?

    Comment please.


  2. yes that should be fine but whats your goal?

    1. are you a "tale of the tape" guy? just want ur guns to measure bigger?
    2. are you happy with ur size just want definition ?

    please explain.

    for me i wanted to just fill out shirts and hammering away curl after curl. Soon i realized Tricep Size is what matters? look at some old school stone cold pics triceps big as **** and biceps were small. yet arms were huge.

    for me these added great size to tris. Barbell behind the head extentions.reverse Grip Bench Press, Weighted Dips, Close Grip Bench, Heavy Cable extentions, or Dumbell Extenions Skull Crushers. barbell or ez bar floor extentions.

    and none of this 3 x 10 with a 45 pound plate on each side for a pump u gotta move up in weight!! 3-4 sets of 4-6 reps.

    Biceps- elveated incline curls for the upper biceps. Preacher curls so the bottom part doesnt look weird. and overall strip sets till ur bicep is a bout to pop with strict form on barbell curls.

    Shoulders- Upright rows, Front DB or kettlebell swings, Push Press or shoulder press.
    rear delt work too but mostly do shoulder savers.. no need for all those fancy bent over db raise 1/4 bent incline raise ****.. go with heavy explosive movements and moderate weight upright rows for defintion.

  3. i'm personally not keen on combining delts/bi's/tri's on the same day unless you're not training chest or back the day before or after. too many secondary muscles used twice in a row can stall your progress.

    also, i've found that compound moves are best for mass, and doing :
    delts
    military press
    wide grip upright rows
    rear delt raises or face pulls
    tri's
    CG bench
    weighted dips
    reverse grip tri pushdowns
    biceps
    barbell curls
    chins

    to be a little challenging for one day of working out.

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    for me i wanted to just fill out shirts and hammering away curl after curl. Soon i realized Tricep Size is what matters? look at some old school stone cold pics triceps big as **** and biceps were small. yet arms were huge.
    rear tri's are the MOST overlooked muscle, and is a full 1/4 of your arm size. at least, its a good quarter of mine
    •   
       


  4. I would agree with suncloud that compound lifts are usually your best bet and the delts/bi's/tri's day is just fine, as long as you're leaving yourself a day or two rest in between that and your chest day. You'll want your delts and tri's to be fresh on chest day for all the pressing you'll be doing.

    If your goal is to flat-out pump up your bi's and make 'em as big as possible, just do an assload of pullups, along with all the different variations of curls.....barbell, dumbell, hammer, drop-sets, etc.

    When it comes to tri's, hit the close-grip bench, dips, skull crushers and pressdowns.

    Mix it up...go heavy at times, then switch to high-rep schemes or drop-sets, etc. Going heavy is always a good thing, but make sure to vary your routine so you never get stuck in a rut.

  5. big triceps = big arms


    ive never seen a guy that does weighted pullups with a 45lb plate for reps with small biceps.
    i work my biceps with my back. i stick to heavy compound back movements first then i'll isolate the arms by running the rack with hammer curls and do some preachers or alternating dumbell curls and thats pretty much it and my arms are 161/2 inches

  6. stulsy when u measure ur arms is that when there flexed? mine measure 16 inches at 173 pounds, and i feel like my arms are small? u get that feeling too? but everyone tells me tehre pretty damn good.

  7. my arms swell after every workout, is that a good thing? If so, should i still push to failure?

  8. i swear my arms are smaller when i nail them set after set. so i just gave up. i think one set for each biceps and triceps works best for me

  9. Quote Originally Posted by stullsy View Post
    big triceps = big arms


    ive never seen a guy that does weighted pullups with a 45lb plate for reps with small biceps.
    i work my biceps with my back. i stick to heavy compound back movements first then i'll isolate the arms by running the rack with hammer curls and do some preachers or alternating dumbell curls and thats pretty much it and my arms are 161/2 inches
    You're right about big tri's equaling big arms, the triceps is most of the arm muscle.
    I think a day for just arm workouts is beneficial, not too say that working biceps with back is bad, just separate them, like back on tues, and arms on fri.
    Same thing with chest/tri's, chest on mon. arms fri.
    Working arms 2x a week gives me good results, and by switching the movements and order of which is first bi's/tri's, or sometimes supersets of bi's/tri's in different sessions, I don't let myself get stuck in the same routine.

    Good Luck, and Go heavy! Once in a while a cheat curl is okay, but always use concentrated movements too.
    Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Im not to fond of taking serm's for long periods of time....

  10. I don't think that 1 set of each tricep and bicep are that effective... but if that floats your boat

  11. Quote Originally Posted by shortstop1616 View Post
    I don't think that 1 set of each tricep and bicep are that effective... but if that floats your boat
    One set each? Who said that?
    And it's triceps, (singular)

    Oh, sorry, I see the post above me, DUH.
    Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Im not to fond of taking serm's for long periods of time....

  12. Doggcrap style, i just do one straight set to failure twice a week for each and i have really good recovery like that and it works for me. I also feel like i can get stronger more effectively that way.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by meiantse2 View Post
    Can someone critique my workout to get bigger arms?

    I combine delts, bis and tris all on the same day. Is that good or should i seperate them?

    I start off doing shoulders until i feel cramping in my delts and then i move onto bis. For my bis, i start off with heavy weights about 10 times and then I slowly decrease the weight not too much. I move onto triceps afterwards and i alternate between bis and tris. I try to keep the same number of reps per set as I slowly decrease the weight. After my workout, my arms get swollen and become inflated. Is this a good thing? I mean, I can keep going with the light weights but should I?

    Comment please.
    Thats the same thing I do too my friend. I work out shoulders, Bi's and tri's the same day. Nothing wrong with that alot of people Im sure do it aswell.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Will this be to MUCH! Bigger arms?
    By SlyCamaro in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM
  2. Bigger arms
    By Stallion83 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 10:46 PM
  3. Need bigger arms
    By bkoguy07 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 03:20 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 02:25 AM
Log in
Log in