Defensive end training

Pork Grind

Pork Grind

Awards
Wow...so i've never played football seriously but some of my buddies asked me to come tryout for our base team. Unfortunately, I really have no idea what the hell i'm doing. I've been in the marines for 3 and half years and this is the first time in my life I've decided to give football a try. I'm currently 5'10," 205 and i'd really like to put on about 15-20 more pounds, but as far as training goes for football - I HONESTLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING? maybe someone can help. I'm mainly concerned about where the sacrifices come in to play i.e. size for speed or vice versa. which is better?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
if ur DE u gotta contain and be able to get by the tackle... im guessing this team isnt gonna be a complex steelers defense.. just focus on agility to get low and pass the tackle.

JDK5386

Wow...so i've never played football seriously but some of my buddies asked me to come tryout for our base team. Unfortunately, I really have no idea what the hell i'm doing. I've been in the marines for 3 and half years and this is the first time in my life I've decided to give football a try. I'm currently 5'10," 205 and i'd really like to put on about 15-20 more pounds, but as far as training goes for football - I HONESTLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING? maybe someone can help. I'm mainly concerned about where the sacrifices come in to play i.e. size for speed or vice versa. which is better?
What's the quality of your competition? Bulking from 200-220 will not help you at all if the tackles are 250-300 - he'll still wash you if you engage him in a line block

At 200 pounds, I would emphasize quickness, agility and explosive strength. . You will have to beat the opposing tackle to the punch, take him off his angles and hitting him .25-.5 before he's ready for it. If you do, you should be able to overcome even large differences in height/weight.