Weight Belts

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
How bad are they? I've herd some people talk bad about them and some swear by them. I got a weight belt and have been using it about a month, but now I'm not sure if I'm going to continue to use it. I read it's bad for you abdominal muscles and raises blood pressure. The weight belt does seem to help me a lot on deadlifts and military presses though. On military presses I always have a tendency to stick my chest out. I can't do behind the head military presses because I have scoliosis (11 degrees) and it hurts my back.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
I think they should be fine as long as you don't fully rely on it to stabilize you. Don't sacrifice your form. Deadlift, for example, be sure not to put undo pressure on your back.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
the weight belt has it's place during certain exercises- hvy squats, leg presses, hacks, deadlifts..really any movements that will potentially put excessive strain on the lower back and abdominals. even then, i just strap mine on for the last couple real hvy. sets. i think some people tend to get to depend on it, wearing the weight belt through the entire workout.

time lord

time lord

Awards
you should ONLY be using them for near maximal loads (95-100% of max). and ONLY for trunk loading exercises or those that risk back hyperextension (mil press for you).

and yes, when worn correctly they are SUPER tight. but you are only supposed to wear them for like 30 secs max while you perform certain exercises.

you should avoid wearing one whenever possible except for the circumstances described above. the belt stabilizes your core so your muscles don't have to. what does this mean for someone who always wears one? super weak core muscles.

btw no one should do behind the neck military presses period. unless of course they don't think they'll need the use of their shoulders for very long. in that case go nuts.

you shouldn't do military presses AT ALL, of any kind if you have scoliosis. that's a recipe for disaster. and you shouldn't wear a belt either, you need to do everything you can to strengthen that core given the scoliosis. get as much natural stabilization as you can via strong supportive core musculature.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
you should ONLY be using them for near maximal loads (95-100% of max). and ONLY for trunk loading exercises or those that risk back hyperextension (mil press for you).

and yes, when worn correctly they are SUPER tight. but you are only supposed to wear them for like 30 secs max while you perform certain exercises.

you should avoid wearing one whenever possible except for the circumstances described above. the belt stabilizes your core so your muscles don't have to. what does this mean for someone who always wears one? super weak core muscles.

btw no one should do behind the neck military presses period. unless of course they don't think they'll need the use of their shoulders for very long. in that case go nuts.

you shouldn't do military presses AT ALL, of any kind if you have scoliosis. that's a recipe for disaster. and you shouldn't wear a belt either, you need to do everything you can to strengthen that core given the scoliosis. get as much natural stabilization as you can via strong supportive core musculature.
So, does that mean I can't get developed shoulders? The military press in front of the head has never given me a problem in terms of back pain, but like I said it does feel easier with a belt.

time lord

time lord

Awards

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
As already mentioned only use the belt for heavy loads on structural exercises that load the trunk. So for your heaviest sets of squats and military presses it's fine. Also make sure to do some separate ab and back work to make the midsection stronger.
Military presses (front) should be no worse for your back than any exercise that loads your torso. If you're not having any pain or complications don't worry about it. If you start having problems with your back, go see someone with experience in dealing with exercise with scoliosis.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i agree, only use them when your going 5 or less reps I would say.

shortstop1616

Awards
Weight belts get a bad wrap because people use them incorrectly.

For ex: You should not have a weight belt on when doing pulldowns.
All your really doing is shutting down abdominal and lower back (stabilizing) muscles which in turn make your back weaker. This same philosophy should be used when squatting. If the weight is light, dont use one. Only if you body may have trouble supporting the weight and form may be diminishing, then use a weight belt.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I noticed today, when I do military presses without a belt I have alot of stress on my lower back

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I noticed today, when I do military presses without a belt I have alot of stress on my lower back
That is becauase you are probably letting the weight get out in front of you. when i do standing militaries i try and finish with my head through and the bar over my head, not out in front.

Future

I am all for using a belt. I have super strong and well developed abs as well. Still the belt can keep you in tighter and keep the waist smaller for bodybuilders. Someone like myself is susceptible to injury with the fascia as well but the belts do help. I have no reservations in recommending them. Belts are fine. For whatever reason there is some false bravado about using a belt. Try getting injured and then saying that. Its a tool that isnt a crutch. It prevents injury while potentially helping cosmetically.

power675

Awards
I agree with the above, belts are a great tool, and there are too many people (usually newbies) that act like using a belt on anything less than a 95% of max set is sacrilege. If your lower back or abs are weak compared to the rest of your body, then train them directly, and do some beltless work. But don't let your weak point, or some idea that using belts is "against the rules" get in the way of using big weights for squats, deadlifts, rows, and whatever else you need it for.

Personally, I use a 10-mm powerlifting belt for squats, deads, and barbell rows, and a crappy little velcro Valeo belt for a lot of other stuff. My lower back is my strongest part, and I have been using a belt for a long time. Sometimes I just like the feeling of tightness it gives, even on stuff like bench presses.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I noticed when I do squats without a belt it feels a little easier then with a belt, but when I do military presses without a belt it's a lot harder then with a belt. I might just use a belt when doing military presses.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
I definitely try and keep belt use to a minimum and will put it on once I'm up around 90% of a 1RM or pretty much once the triples get really heavy and I'm about to head into doing singles on my sets. If I can hit a triple or more I don't need a belt is the way I look at it.

I know some guys that never ever wear a belt in training or a meet, some that always wear a belt but do a lot of core building, and some that wear it for only really heavy work loads. Pick your camp and be happy. Just make sure what ever you do don't neglect your core.

As for an above post saying that it must be super tight I don't agree with that at all either. I like mine a bit snug and not anywhere close to tight. I like to be able to breath into my abs and push hard into the belt.