Baseball - AnabolicMinds.com

Baseball

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Baseball

I am looking into getting back into baseball next year at the college level, and was wondering if anyone here could help me piece together a solid workout. I am starting to reincorporate explosive lifts, primarily the hang clean, but am unsure as to what else I should include. Dunno if many people will have a good idea on a baseball program but thought I'd ask

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

I can't help much on the sports specific workouts much but I commend you for starting with the basics and you didn't ask, "what is a good cycle to get back in shape?"

As far as some basics, you obviously need good core work for twisting and batting. Explosive sprints at least the distance between bases should be included. I don't know the physiological mechanics involved to become a power hitter, so I don't know what would help develop the necessary muscles for that. Most cardio type work in baseball is limited in length but high intensity, so focus on building up speed for running bases or chasing fly balls. If you are enrolled or have made know your intentions to play at a particular school, try to get some time or access to the coach and or strength coaches and get some ideas on drills and workouts that you can do.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

I have a speed and agility program setup. I know I have to focus on legs a lot for power when batting, and I do have an idea of some core type exercises to use. I also plan on doing several one legged lifts, such as split squats, because you are often times taking off on one leg in baseball. I am still unsure as to what my upperbody workout should consist of.

I have been lifting hard for about three years now, but I have never really focused on a baseball specific workout. I have done a lot of overall size building routines as of late also. I have done some small, simple workouts for overall strength for sports like football, but baseball really is a different animal.
    •   

4. NutraPlanet Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

PM Andrew732. He is a baseball player and has a vast area of knowledge on such exercises and training regimens.
    Nutraplanet Representative
    PM me with any order questions and concerns
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Thanks!
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Find out what Bonds did to get big, minus the clear and the cream. Pure size and strength go along way for power hitting apparently. When you crush them out of the park, you don't need to run the bases very fast.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

hahah, I do softball, definitely a step down from baseball, which I sometimes hate because of the lack of intensity. General training over hte last 2 years brought me from barely able to hit the ball, to crushing that thing, into the bushes a few times. Best comment ever was from our coach as he craned his neck "Someone ate their Wheaties this morning".

Upper body, core, then leg strength. The power runs in a line through your body, so make sure to hit every part.
  8. NutraPlanet Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

There is more to baseball than upperbody, core and leg strength. Core comes first, along with endurance and explosiveness.

You don't need to be a power hitter to be successful. Depends on your goals, but if you want to get drafted or play professional ball then you have alot of training ahead of you.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigPR View Post
    There is more to baseball than upperbody, core and leg strength. Core comes first, along with endurance and explosiveness.

You don't need to be a power hitter to be successful. Depends on your goals, but if you want to get drafted or play professional ball then you have alot of training ahead of you.
    truth in that. I learned when I try to crush the ball, I usually fail at getting drive on it. If I just do a nice solid swing, at about 70% I seem to get it to the home run range that way...

I was just saying, the better developed all parts of your body are, the more functional power you get. Some peeps I see just do upper body thinking its all big arms that give you the power...when like you said mostly its not.
  10. NutraPlanet Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Power comes down to hand eye coordination and bat speed. Muscles really won't help "that" much. Sometimes too big will actually hinder hitting.

Bonds was an extremely talented ballplayer before "working out". More to hitting than muscles. Not disagreeing, just saying.

But muscles will help for some extra feet.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

I definitely agree on the lower body and core strength. I know those come first, and I have a good idea of what to do for those, and there is a wealth of info on those areas. It is the upper body that I have been unsure of because I know its not as important, and thats where I'm not sure on the best ways to hit that area. Of course, I hate putting a part of the body as a label of "not as important."
  12. NutraPlanet Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Did you message the user I mentioned? He is very knowledgeable.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Yes, he's giving me some VERY good info.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

I was just busting on Bonds about just get huge and not worry about speed while you trot around the bases. I have a lot of people that have the idea that the steroids or supps ruined and tarnished his record and that it wasn't legit. I have to remind them that no matter how big and strong he is, if he was just relying on the drugs, and he didn't have skills he aquired over the years he played, he wouldn't have the success he had. So I def. agree that there is more skill and technique involved to make you a better hitter.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

I recently graduate from college and played Division 1 baseball up in the northeast conference. Becoming more powerful is definitely important.

My team and I always used vastmuscle.com baseball workouts. They have great sport specific workouts, plyometric training, and speed and agility training. I definitely recommend it.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

www.vastmuscle.com... try it
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. steroid use in pro baseball in the '60's
    By schlam_of in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
  2. AP and baseball
    By Olears20 in forum Supplements