Vince Gironda's 8x8 routine
- 06-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Vince Gironda's 8x8 routine
Today I tried the Vince Gironda's 8x8 routine for my back/biceps.
The exercises I choice are as follows:
Pull Downs Mid
Rows using close grip
Incline DB Curls
What I liked:
- The pump
- Lighter weight = better form and really contracted the muscle
- The burn
What I did not like:
- Lighter weight = boring and left me feeling unfulfilled
- Using 40 % of my 8 rep max felt boring.
- To easy and very overrated or outdated
Not sure if I would do this on my next workout. I feel this workout may of slowed down my progress and I left the gym feeling the workout was not enough. On a few exercises I had to stop shy of 8 reps on the last set. The tradition 4x12 is more enjoyable.
- 06-08-2009, 06:31 PM
If I am not mistaken, Gironda's program was based on progressive overload - and so, each workout you would progress as a percentage until you reach 100% of your 8RM, and then beyond. Also, his workout traditionally has two "power days" at the beginning of the week with high weight and low reps.
- 06-08-2009, 08:54 PM
06-08-2009, 09:25 PM
The Gironda e-book I have lays out a version which day one is upper-body power, day two is lower body power, and then hypertrophy days follow. Look for Tommy Jeffers' log on here: it details the approach.
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I tried the 8x8 again with chest and triceps.
-Incline DB Press
-Flat DB Fly's
-Rope Pull Downs
Today was actually pretty good. The pump I got in my triceps was awesome. I am still skeptical on the gains of this routine. I might try alternating weekly the 8x8 and my traditional workout. That way I can still do my compound exercises which I found don't go well with the 8x8. Kind of dangerous doing squats or bench press on the 8x8 with no spotter.
As long as I don't lose any gains from the 8x8.
06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
The weekend warrior or casual lifter should avoid this method.
06-09-2009, 04:50 PM
06-09-2009, 04:54 PM
06-09-2009, 10:16 PM
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I decided to finish out the week. Today I did Legs.
This was very painful experience with the legs. While doing the leg press I thought my legs were going to break. I am going to go one more day with the shoulders and go back to my traditional workout.
The biceps are still sore and may of got the best workout from the 8x8. If anything, in the future I will use the 8x8 with my bicep routine.
Similar Forum Threads
- By schizm in forum Exercise ScienceReplies: 16Last Post: 07-03-2011, 12:10 AM
- By John Smeton in forum Nutrition / HealthReplies: 16Last Post: 11-15-2009, 11:36 PM
- By ironparson in forum Weight LossReplies: 2Last Post: 01-18-2009, 05:56 AM
- By bigrobbierob in forum Nutrition / HealthReplies: 5Last Post: 02-09-2008, 11:23 PM
- By Havok in forum Exercise ScienceReplies: 10Last Post: 10-16-2007, 06:58 PM