Vince Gironda's 8x8 routine

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Today I tried the Vince Gironda's 8x8 routine for my back/biceps.

The exercises I choice are as follows:

Pull Downs Mid
Rows using close grip
T-Bar Rows

Drag Curls
Incline DB Curls

What I liked:
- The pump
- Lighter weight = better form and really contracted the muscle
- The burn

What I did not like:
- Lighter weight = boring and left me feeling unfulfilled
- Using 40 % of my 8 rep max felt boring.
- To easy and very overrated or outdated

Not sure if I would do this on my next workout. I feel this workout may of slowed down my progress and I left the gym feeling the workout was not enough. On a few exercises I had to stop shy of 8 reps on the last set. The tradition 4x12 is more enjoyable.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I am not mistaken, Gironda's program was based on progressive overload - and so, each workout you would progress as a percentage until you reach 100% of your 8RM, and then beyond. Also, his workout traditionally has two "power days" at the beginning of the week with high weight and low reps.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
If I am not mistaken, Gironda's program was based on progressive overload - and so, each workout you would progress as a percentage until you reach 100% of your 8RM, and then beyond. Also, his workout traditionally has two "power days" at the beginning of the week with high weight and low reps.
I have came across so many variations. None of which said anything about a power days. I will have to do some more research.

I do like the Drag Curl. That def. works.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Gironda e-book I have lays out a version which day one is upper-body power, day two is lower body power, and then hypertrophy days follow. Look for Tommy Jeffers' log on here: it details the approach.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I tried the 8x8 again with chest and triceps.

-Incline DB Press
-Dips
-Flat DB Fly's
-Push Ups

-Tricep Dips
-Tricep Extensions
-Rope Pull Downs

Today was actually pretty good. The pump I got in my triceps was awesome. I am still skeptical on the gains of this routine. I might try alternating weekly the 8x8 and my traditional workout. That way I can still do my compound exercises which I found don't go well with the 8x8. Kind of dangerous doing squats or bench press on the 8x8 with no spotter.

As long as I don't lose any gains from the 8x8.

Good Shepherd

Awards
You are correct Mullett. This was used during the pre-contest phase by Gironda's clients to avoid the traditional excessive cardio approach. The natural trainer will quickly be over trained by attempting this (and that is in respect to a well conditioned natural bodybuilder).

The weekend warrior or casual lifter should avoid this method.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Is the E-book free? Or one you have to purchase??

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are correct Mullett. This was used during the pre-contest phase by Gironda's clients to avoid the traditional excessive cardio approach. The natural trainer will quickly be over trained by attempting this (and that is in respect to a well conditioned natural bodybuilder).

The weekend warrior or casual lifter should avoid this method.
I agree. It is a 6 day split with both power and hypertrophy, and really takes dedication to diet and restful sleep to acclimate to it! I know several prominent natural lifters who absolutely swear to it, but I feel, as you said, the average individual is best served using that method whilst "on".

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I agree. It is a 6 day split with both power and hypertrophy, and really takes dedication to diet and restful sleep to acclimate to it! I know several prominent natural lifters who absolutely swear to it, but I feel, as you said, the average individual is best served using that method whilst "on".
I'll just finish out the week with this. Do you think this one week will bring negative gains?

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I decided to finish out the week. Today I did Legs.

-Leg Press
-Leg Extensions
-Leg Curls
-Calf Raises

This was very painful experience with the legs. While doing the leg press I thought my legs were going to break. I am going to go one more day with the shoulders and go back to my traditional workout.

The biceps are still sore and may of got the best workout from the 8x8. If anything, in the future I will use the 8x8 with my bicep routine.