manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Alright, fellas I just wrapped up my 4 year degree and I have to decided to become...wait for it....a cop. I just feel this overwhelming feeling that this is what I am suppose to do.

I wanted to pick the brains of people that have been down this path before me. I have done some reading about the process and it differs from city to city. I have reviewed some practice written exams, and I feel I am more than prepared for those. The reason I am starting this thread is to dial my training into a different direction. I have laid out a new routine to focus on strength and endurance.

It will basically look like this...

M-Full body (Major compound lifts) followed by some long distance running.
T- Swimming, not sure how long, just long enough to get exhausted.
W-Full body (Major compound lifts)
TH-Stair work
F-Full body (Major compound lifts) followed by some long distance running.
S-off
SU-off

So once again the purpose of this thread is two-fold. One, I need advice on my routine. I want to make sure that I am doing the right things to prepare for the P.A.T. Two, I need advice on how to get the ball rolling. I am not sure what the first steps I need to be taking are.

-Should I wait to apply until I feel my conditioning is where it needs to be?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most police training in the academy is focused on running and army type of fitness (Running, Push-ups, Pull ups and sit ups). First, I would check where you're at in those types of events and go from there based off your level of fitness. There's no need to work three days of compound full body exercises if you can barely run further than a mile. if you're an advanced athlete in running put can't do a push up then it's pointless of have several major running days; for example.

A lot of your endurance will be tested wearing body armor, boots and road gear. it may prove beneficial to get a weighted vest and knock out those exercises I mentioned above. You'll need to first check out the department's training program and initial hiring test and adjust your workout accordingly. once that is down without any issues then move on to constructing the body you want in the gym.

That being said i would focus on high rep, high endurance training.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Thanks a lot Jay I really appreciate it. Any lifting routines off the top of your head for endurance? I have always just kind of fell in with the hypertophy range (8-10 reps)...

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot Jay I really appreciate it. Any lifting routines off the top of your head for endurance? I have always just kind of fell in with the hypertophy range (8-10 reps)...
TUT (time under tension) Explosive concentric with 5-7 second eccentric - real seconds, not counting to 5-7.

1 exercise per body part, 3 sets of same weight per exercise, 60 seconds between sets. You can do one day on, one off or two on one off etc.

3 sets consist of x8-10, x4-6, x2-4; the low rest time should be enough to make you drop reps without adding weight once you find the right starting weight.

Set A
Chest (Incline DB, dips or bench;hammer strength etc.)
Back width (wide pull ups or narrow grip pulldowns - palms in)
Shoulders (DB press, arnolds or BB military)
Back thickness (T bar rows or narrow low cable rows)
Tri's (Hammer grip skulls or DB seated French press)

Set B
Bi's (BB curls or EZ preachers)
Quads (BB squats or leg curls and DB lunges)
Hamm's (SLDL's or leg curls - if leg curls I add hyperextensions or light good mornings for lwr back)
Calf's - nothing Running takes care of them just fine for my tastes.

This routine along with running, swimming, jump rope what have you got me ready for a six hour test for my first degree black sash in Kajukenbo. It also creates nice hypertrophy if your diet is in a kcal surplus. Whenever you are training for endurance carbs should be your main macro with plenty of protein & healthy fats to boot.

FWIW

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i think total body workouts are probably best for a cop. with regards to functional strength, nothing beats it - your job isn't to outbench suspect A, its to restrain suspect A regardless of any tricks he may have. running is a big deal, so cardiovascular shape is paramount for any academy IMO.

total body workouts are also great for loosing fat, which will help your run overall - if you can keep muscle size up while loosing fat, you run faster because you weigh less.

i would practice your run times while wearing a sweater and jacket, etc. that way if you go out to do your test and its raining, you can still make your times (that happened to me).

with regards to running, do actual running, not treadmill stuff. what broke me in academy was my knees weren't used to impacting the ground, which it turns out is something your body needs to get used to, and you can't get the same effect on an elliptical.

anyways, hope that helps.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Nice....some great info right here. BPmarty so would a sample routine look like:

m-A
t-Off
w-B
th-Off
f-A
s -Off
su-Off

Then start the next week with B?

Also, were you only doing the swimming and such on off weight trainging days/

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Nice....some great info right here. BPmarty so would a sample routine look like:

m-A
t-Off
w-B
th-Off
f-A
s -Off
su-Off

Then start the next week with B?

Also, were you only doing the swimming and such on off weight trainging days/
Kinda:

M-A
T-B
W-off
T-A
F-B
S-off
Sun-A
Mon-B
T-off
etc.

No set days off, just that rest day between so I had 48 hrs recovery between muscle groups. If I got to fatigued or felt over trained I would take an extra rest day here or there.

I was doing endurance work on the same days as weight training.
Typical day looked like this:
Morning run
Afternoon weight training followed by kick boxing (aerobics class that did a lot of jump roping kicks & punches)
MA class in the evening.

Intermittently I would throw in pushups, chinups & sprints. I got to where I could bang out 100 consecutive pushups and around 30 pullups on a whim.

As Jay mentioned, this is about endurance and I do not recommend so much activity for body building or strength training per se.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Be careful who you tell that too, I told one site I was going to be a cop and got permantly banned. ????? Anyways, never became a cop but oh well. Best of luck to you.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Its still in the air right now I am not sure if i will be persuing it or not.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Kinda:

M-A
T-B
W-off
T-A
F-B
S-off
Sun-A
Mon-B
T-off
etc.

No set days off, just that rest day between so I had 48 hrs recovery between muscle groups. If I got to fatigued or felt over trained I would take an extra rest day here or there.

I was doing endurance work on the same days as weight training.
Typical day looked like this:
Morning run
Afternoon weight training followed by kick boxing (aerobics class that did a lot of jump roping kicks & punches)
MA class in the evening.

Intermittently I would throw in pushups, chinups & sprints. I got to where I could bang out 100 consecutive pushups and around 30 pullups on a whim.

As Jay mentioned, this is about endurance and I do not recommend so much activity for body building or strength training per se.
Did you take your off days completely off or did you do some endurance stuff?

Also, how strenuous was the run you did in the morning before your afternoon workout?

Also, did you alternate between the different exercises for the muscle groups? Like say one week you did Incline, next week you do flat bb...?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Did you take your off days completely off or did you do some endurance stuff?

Also, how strenuous was the run you did in the morning before your afternoon workout?
At least one day a week would be a complete "off" day save maybe a few pushups, stretches etc.

Morning run was usually about 5 miles in around 45 mins. How strenuous is subjective to the runner.

Important thing with any protocol, endurance or otherwise, is to build up to it. Overtraining can lead to excess fatigue and injury.

Set S.M.A.R.T. goals
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Reasonable
Timely

I always start up running with 2 miles 3 days a week for 2 weeks. Take third week completely off from running. I then increase to 3-4 miles 3 days a week for two weeks and then add a day; 4 miles 4 days a week. Eventually I end up at 5-6 miles 5 days a week. I add in other activities (like aerobics classes, jumprope etc.) as I am able and don't feel overtrained.

Lastly: yes, I alternate exercises. Say first A workout: Bench, weighted pullups, Military press, low cable rows and French press. Second A workout: weighted dips, narrow grip pulldowns, Arnold press, Tbar rows and skull crushers.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
bpmarty I really appreciate all of your help man....my endurance is skyrocketting right now. I have been bangin out 2 miles the last two mornings with really no problem and then training later in the day.

I wanted to ask you what your macro breakdown looked like when you were that active? I know the usual is 40p/40c/20f, but as you mentioned the carbs need to go up when being so active.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
bpmarty I really appreciate all of your help man....my endurance is skyrocketting right now. I have been bangin out 2 miles the last two mornings with really no problem and then training later in the day.

I wanted to ask you what your macro breakdown looked like when you were that active? I know the usual is 40p/40c/20f, but as you mentioned the carbs need to go up when being so active.
NP

I just did the 40/40/20 as a base of normal calorie intake and added more carbs to the mix. Not sure what the actual breakdown ended up but I just made sure to get at least 250g protein and at least 60g fats; the rest would be carbs, moslty low GI - oats, basmatti or brown rice, whole grain bagels, sprouted gran bread etc., along with green veggies and fruits like bananas, apples & berries. 'Bout 400-500 grams for me but your mileage may vary.

Oh, and I was using PSlin by USPLabs; that stuff was great for shuttling those carbs and giving fantastic natural energy from food. Also used PowerFULL before bed for very productive rest. Not necessary but noticeable for me.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
nice man...I have some anabolic pump on hand so I may start that up again, and I also have some powerfull Im going to start back up.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking of something very profound to say...

What I came up with is...

**** COPS.

And just to be a bit more politically correct, if thats possible after saying that, I'll add **** -Long Island- COPS.

IF ANYBODY DOESN'T LIKE MY MESSAGE, DEAL WITH IT. BECAUSE WHERE I LIVE. "OFFICERS" ARE A CORRUPT JOKE.

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/newsday/T2Q7HFN9RLJJTFQ34/p12#lastPost

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
Meh, I don't really have anything against cops. I've taken 4 years of Criminal Justice and have considered a LE path if I get sick of academics (I want to get a Phd in history) and decide that I just want to drive around fast, carry a gun at work, and chase people for a living. I just fear that becoming a cop would be a waste of my brain, lol.

eggnog631

Awards

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established

solguy

Awards
i read this site a while back, the guy put together this routine in preparation for joining the army:

zapsgym.com/resources/army_training.htm

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking of something very profound to say...

What I came up with is...

**** COPS.

And just to be a bit more politically correct, if thats possible after saying that, I'll add **** -Long Island- COPS.

IF ANYBODY DOESN'T LIKE MY MESSAGE, DEAL WITH IT. BECAUSE WHERE I LIVE. "OFFICERS" ARE A CORRUPT JOKE.

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/newsday/T2Q7HFN9RLJJTFQ34/p12#lastPost

Its ashame because it tarnishes the rest of the honest working officers out there. I can understand your anger, but dont put all Cops in the same pool as that.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Marty--

I know you mentioned the p-slin and p-full earlier, but I was wondering if you were taking anything else to help with endurance?

Also, I go to take the Physical Agility Test in a little over a week, and I was wondering if you could give me any tips on how to treat diet on the days leading up, as well as the day of my test...

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Eat some complex carbs the night before so you will have plenty of energy.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I'm testing to be a cop right now and i have one words for you....run. get your running down pat. as far as the rest goes, i have a typical w/o and have passed every PT with flying colors. every state is different but in IL. theres one test just to get in the academy. from that test you can pretty much double all the exercises in terms of reps and quadruple the running in terms of distance, 5 milesin the academy is not un heard of

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I'm up to 4 miles right now with really no trouble....I just want to make sure I get the nutrients in my body I need to perform my best the day of the PAT.

Arbor

Awards
So how did the test go? For the academy...run, run, and then run some more. I did my second academy at age 35. Dropped my weight and concentrated on running until I was comfortable and fast enough at 6 miles. Find some good hills to run. I also did sprints with my wife piggy-back, chins and pushups. No matter what you do it will still be tough (depending on what academy you are in), as it's not intended to be a fun 6-7 months. They try to stress you with head-games and fatigue. I had a pretty easy time with it and the training prep definitely made it easier. Good luck. It can be a rewarding career even though many departments are being de-nutted due to politics.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
The test went good bro...I am scheduled for my Oral Interview next week and if all goes well well it will be off to backgrounds.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
The test went good bro...I am scheduled for my Oral Interview next week and if all goes well well it will be off to backgrounds.
congrats bro.....i have a couple of interviews myself coming up. I will say this, the process takes a long time, you pass the interview, then go on a list and then maybe you get called. my point is keep testing, don't get discouraged if they don't call........read my signature, that's all you need to know. again, congrats

seanlambo

seanlambo

Awards
arrest people for a living, ya well get lost a-hole, goto hell

Arbor

Awards
LOL....Very articulate, little 153 lb troll....run along now, go back to the schoolyard and let the grownups talk. Go on little feller....git!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
arrest people for a living, ya well get lost a-hole, goto hell
Some people NEED to be arrested and there's no shame in being a cop. It's a tough duty that 99% of the population can't handle or would refuse to do for a living.

Arbor

Awards
Iron, Thx for the support. He's just a little keyboard commando troll, criminal, or wannabe who couldn't cut it. No big deal. They are everywhere on the web looking for a reaction.