Not Feeling it

  1. New Member
    tripwired's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190.2 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    89
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    20.01%

    Angry Not Feeling it


    So i'm tired of not feeling it, everyone talks about having a pump or feeling spent after working out. Yesterday i did nothing but chest

    175# bench (smith) 8x8x7
    40# incline dumbell 10x10x8x7
    40# flye and press dumbell 10x10x9x9
    body weight dips 8x8x6x5

    When i'm done my muscle is weak and i can't really lift anything heavier. Is this just normal? Or should i feel it the next day? When i do lower weight and very high reps i always feel sore and tight the next day, but with heavy weights i just get muscle fatigue but i don't feel like i'm working hard.

    btw my one rep max for benching is probably around 210 or so.

    How should i change up this work out?
    I only have a smith machine, dip bar and various dumbells.

  2. New Member
    allstar504448's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    142
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    58.06%

    wide grip bench for 6 sets drop sets
    ie i bench ~300 and do 225-205-185-165-145-135
    try to put middle fingers on rings if you have rings on your bar and squeeze out as many reps as possible
    dumbbell pullovers 4 sets moderate weight 14-12-10-10 use good form keep hips up and abs flexed
    dumbbell flies super set with pushups 4 sets
    dumbbell press 2x25
    work hard dont cheat yourself and arginine always helps if you feel the need to supplement
  3. New Member
    tripwired's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190.2 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    89
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    20.01%

    So I should go down in weight and keep the reps up. This is how I used to do it till I couldn't lift anymore. But I was told that I shouldn't do that. I was told to increase weight but that never seemed to work for me.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Jordinator's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    259
    Rep Power
    258
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    58.96%

    Maybe try eating more carbs pre and post workout. Also make sure you're fully hydrated.
  5. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852765
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tripwired View Post
    So I should go down in weight and keep the reps up. This is how I used to do it till I couldn't lift anymore. But I was told that I shouldn't do that. I was told to increase weight but that never seemed to work for me.
    truthfully though, 8-10 reps isn't low rep range. You can do a 2 week series of trying for 5 sets of 5 reps with as much weight as you can manage so that failure on the first set would be at 7 reps, then go back to the low weight higher rep range.

    So probably 185 for the bench press, 45s-50s for incline db.
  6. New Member
    allstar504448's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    142
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    58.06%

    Quote Originally Posted by tripwired View Post
    So I should go down in weight and keep the reps up. This is how I used to do it till I couldn't lift anymore. But I was told that I shouldn't do that. I was told to increase weight but that never seemed to work for me.
    maybe not do it till you are literally dead but its what i do and as far as chest pump/growth it seems to be working
  7. Senior Member
    youngandfree's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,296
    Rep Power
    56038
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    79.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    When you do the reps, even higher reps, do you feel the muscle burn at all? You should feel it squeeze and stretch as you do the reps. It should be the same even when you increase weight and lower reps. Let us know how the chest is tomorrow, that will be a good indicator. Maybe even 2 days to be pretty sore. My DOMS really suck on day 2 after workout. Overall, your program looks pretty good for today. Give it some time. Really focus on squeezing your muscles when you do the lifts so you focus all the work where you want to. Don't stress about it yet, you are ok.
  8. New Member
    tripwired's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190.2 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    89
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    20.01%

    I never feel a burn unless i do super high reps, my muscles get fatigued before any burning sets in, unless i take like 25lb dumbbells and do 50 reps with them. I think this is why i like the 100's or german volume training so much, that actually makes me feel it.
  9. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    578
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    16.61%

    You are conditioned to this workout at this point. . I would prefer to see someone of your level and size doing more of a 2 day upper/ 2 day lower split where you are trying to get stronger in all the big lifts, incline bench ( i don't like flat for tall thin guys) standing military, squat, dead, clean, row, pullup etc. You can do the accessory work, but you need to limit it.
  10. New Member
    allstar504448's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    142
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    58.06%

    Quote Originally Posted by tripwired View Post
    I never feel a burn unless i do super high reps, my muscles get fatigued before any burning sets in, unless i take like 25lb dumbbells and do 50 reps with them. I think this is why i like the 100's or german volume training so much, that actually makes me feel it.
    you don't take any supplements right? other than protein
    i take this **** where i dont feel the lactic acid really either
  11. New Member
    tripwired's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190.2 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    89
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    20.01%

    I take:
    Novedex xt
    Recreate
    Sizeon
    protein
    bcaa's and various other vitamins/aminos
  12. New Member
    tripwired's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190.2 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    89
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    20.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    You are conditioned to this workout at this point. . I would prefer to see someone of your level and size doing more of a 2 day upper/ 2 day lower split where you are trying to get stronger in all the big lifts, incline bench ( i don't like flat for tall thin guys) standing military, squat, dead, clean, row, pullup etc. You can do the accessory work, but you need to limit it.
    I think you're probably right. I've been playing around with different workouts, so far the GVT/100's seem the most promising. Would you have a link to an example plan for what you are suggesting? (I'm kinda a noob when it comes to workout terminology, like what does split mean exactly)

    Seems like you are suggesting that i do more compound lifting instead of isolated exercises.
  13. New Member
    mytime09's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    163
    Rep Power
    154
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    82.64%

    squats always get me pumpin. you do do squats right?
  14. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13734
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    post what you typically eat in a day

    specifically around workout time, 3 hours before and after.
  15. New Member
    tripwired's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190.2 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    89
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    20.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime09 View Post
    squats always get me pumpin. you do do squats right?

    Not so much, i tore my acl so i'm not very stable on squats unfortunately.


    Diet is usually:
    8:00 protein shake (myoplex 42g protein, 23g carb, 3g fat)
    10:00 oatmeal with cinnamon, splenda, and 1/4cup soy milk
    12:00 lunch i usually try to do something decent like salmon and veggies
    3:00 protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
    3:30 PM workout with Sizeon (0g protein, 31g carb, 0g fat)
    5:00 protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
    8:00 dinner (usually el pollo loco or chicken wrap)
    10:00 bedtime protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
  16. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13734
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by tripwired View Post
    Not so much, i tore my acl so i'm not very stable on squats unfortunately.


    Diet is usually:
    8:00 protein shake (myoplex 42g protein, 23g carb, 3g fat)
    10:00 oatmeal with cinnamon, splenda, and 1/4cup soy milk
    12:00 lunch i usually try to do something decent like salmon and veggies
    3:00 protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
    3:30 PM workout with Sizeon (0g protein, 31g carb, 0g fat)
    5:00 protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
    8:00 dinner (usually el pollo loco or chicken wrap)
    10:00 bedtime protein shake (nectar 46g protein, 0 carb, 0 fat)
    alot of shakes in there..

    looks pretty good i quess, i cant do anything without carbs.

    Im an oatmeal and brown rice eating fool..........So, i get nice and pumped, but i carry some in the midsection also........

    I suggest more real foods and limit shakes to 2 or maybe 3 max.

    Try some pump supps like

    glycobol, ap, pslin, slin, etc........... you will have to up your carbs though.
  17. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13734
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    squats and deadlifts if you can.
  18. New Member
    bustmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    73
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    89.67%

    how are u mentally. Do u walk into the gym thinking 'this is going to be hard' or a negative type mindset. Maybe ur saying to yourself ' i didnt feel good about it last time so its going to be the same again'. Is any of this true????
  19. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3264
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    31.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    some exercises are better for "pumps" than others. for example, the best chest pump for me is cable crossovers. i use them at the end of my workout to really get the blood flowing to them.
  20. New Member
    tripwired's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190.2 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    89
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    20.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by bustmetal View Post
    how are u mentally. Do u walk into the gym thinking 'this is going to be hard' or a negative type mindset. Maybe ur saying to yourself ' i didnt feel good about it last time so its going to be the same again'. Is any of this true????
    Hell no, I sit here at work counting down the minutes until i can get over to the gym. My wife says i'm obsessed, because in another thread someone told me to take some time off from the gym and she said i was in the worst mood.

    But i think i figured out part of the not feeling it thing. I think maybe my form was wrong especially on the abs, someone said don't just do the motion contract the muscle you're working to get that motion. That advice seemed to work more now instead of focusing on doing the crunch or curl i focus on just contracting my bicep and letting it move the bar. I guess movements involve a lot of other body parts than just the one you think you're working.
  21. New Member
    bustmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    73
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    89.67%

    good man. hope this works for u. keep us posted on how u go
  22. Senior Member
    youngandfree's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,296
    Rep Power
    56038
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    79.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tripwired View Post
    Hell no, I sit here at work counting down the minutes until i can get over to the gym. My wife says i'm obsessed, because in another thread someone told me to take some time off from the gym and she said i was in the worst mood.

    But i think i figured out part of the not feeling it thing. I think maybe my form was wrong especially on the abs, someone said don't just do the motion contract the muscle you're working to get that motion. That advice seemed to work more now instead of focusing on doing the crunch or curl i focus on just contracting my bicep and letting it move the bar. I guess movements involve a lot of other body parts than just the one you think you're working.
    You are exactly right on the contractions. Learn how to do that for everything you do. Then start to add weights as u progress. if it gets too heavy were you don't feel that contraction, drop some weight back. Unless you are a competitive powerlifter, squeezing muscles are what you want. You will become more efficient in training and will develop better with lower weight than someone that just slings it around.

    GOOD JOB!
  23. New Member
    tripwired's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190.2 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    89
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    20.01%

    Just as an update so i did legs yesterday, GVT style, and focused on the using the particular muscle intended. Today i hurt like i've never hurt before...and i love it!
  24. Senior Member
    youngandfree's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,296
    Rep Power
    56038
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    79.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tripwired View Post
    Just as an update so i did legs yesterday, GVT style, and focused on the using the particular muscle intended. Today i hurt like i've never hurt before...and i love it!

    AWESOME!!! Wait until tomorrow!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. any feeling
    By Supersquad in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 04:44 PM
  2. This feeling of Well Being?
    By pmgamer18 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 01:12 PM
  3. Ever get that feeling...
    By BigVrunga in forum Politics
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 11:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in