New Way To Perform Calf Raises

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Recently I discovered a new way to perform calf raises. This may not be new for some.

Place the end of a bench under the smith machine (or close to be being under the smith machine), sit at the end and lower the smith machine bar right above your quads but not to close to your knees. I place a aerobic step or a couple of plates on the floor to place the ball's of my feet on top of. Raise the bar by raising your calves and perform your reps. Some people like to use padding instead of having the bar directly on your legs.

I found this to be one of the best calf workouts. You can really squeeze at the top of each rep.

tripwired

Awards
Wow thats a good idea, I only have one of those stupid calf push machines thats angled kinda weird. I hate it because i put like 350lbs on it (the max) and it puts too much pressure on my back. I'll have to try this.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
sweet. I will give that a try. Im always concentrating on my feet slipping off the grip where your feet are placed. That or either the pads get sweaty and my knees start to slide

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Regardless of what exercise you're doing for calves I always throw in a set of 10 calf raises from the floor in between sets. Gives me one hell of a pump!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
calves wat are those mine never grow .

KC012

Awards
Ok, i thought so.. but doesn't the muscle contract the whole way through the concentric ROM?

Flyers2385

Awards
sweet. I will give that a try. Im always concentrating on my feet slipping off the grip where your feet are placed. That or either the pads get sweaty and my knees start to slide
I hate that. LA Fitness has the diamond plated foot grips and seems like I can barely stay on them at times.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I hate that. LA Fitness has the diamond plated foot grips and seems like I can barely stay on them at times.
I did 8 sets of 20 with 90 pounds and my calves are feeling good. You may want to put something in between the bar and your legs. I laid my belt across my legs. I have seen some people use the padding that wraps around the barbells.