New Way To Perform Calf Raises

  1. New Way To Perform Calf Raises


    Recently I discovered a new way to perform calf raises. This may not be new for some.

    Place the end of a bench under the smith machine (or close to be being under the smith machine), sit at the end and lower the smith machine bar right above your quads but not to close to your knees. I place a aerobic step or a couple of plates on the floor to place the ball's of my feet on top of. Raise the bar by raising your calves and perform your reps. Some people like to use padding instead of having the bar directly on your legs.

    I found this to be one of the best calf workouts. You can really squeeze at the top of each rep.


  2. Wow thats a good idea, I only have one of those stupid calf push machines thats angled kinda weird. I hate it because i put like 350lbs on it (the max) and it puts too much pressure on my back. I'll have to try this.

  3. sweet. I will give that a try. Im always concentrating on my feet slipping off the grip where your feet are placed. That or either the pads get sweaty and my knees start to slide
    •   
       


  4. Regardless of what exercise you're doing for calves I always throw in a set of 10 calf raises from the floor in between sets. Gives me one hell of a pump!

  5. Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyIOSOS View Post
    You can really squeeze at the top of each rep.
    What do you mean by squeeze? What does this achieve?

  6. calves wat are those mine never grow .

  7. Quote Originally Posted by KC012 View Post
    What do you mean by squeeze? What does this achieve?
    he means muscle contraction at the top of the calf raise movement

  8. Quote Originally Posted by strester View Post
    he means muscle contraction at the top of the calf raise movement
    Thanks. I'll have to be more clear next time.

  9. Ok, i thought so.. but doesn't the muscle contract the whole way through the concentric ROM?

  10. Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    sweet. I will give that a try. Im always concentrating on my feet slipping off the grip where your feet are placed. That or either the pads get sweaty and my knees start to slide
    I hate that. LA Fitness has the diamond plated foot grips and seems like I can barely stay on them at times.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Flyers2385 View Post
    I hate that. LA Fitness has the diamond plated foot grips and seems like I can barely stay on them at times.
    I did 8 sets of 20 with 90 pounds and my calves are feeling good. You may want to put something in between the bar and your legs. I laid my belt across my legs. I have seen some people use the padding that wraps around the barbells.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. standing calf raises vs seated calf machine.
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 07:03 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
  3. Calf raises for size
    By soseg in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 10:15 AM
  4. Anyone else have any troubles doing Foward/Reverse Calf Raises?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Log in
Log in