1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.98%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Question Stiff legged deadlifts.

I enjoy my stiff legged deadlift's they are my second favorite exercise, I love the burn in my lower back and hams. But I've been doing more and more weight lately, I love getting stronger, and at the same time I'm getting more flexable.

I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself, I started using a 3'' step when I do the exercise so I can go down further, work more of my back, and hams, and stretch further too. Is this okay? or should I not use the step, should I only go as far as the floor?

If the step is okay to use would a 6'' still be alright or is that too far down on my range of motion.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.83%

I usually use one of the aerobic boxes when I do them at the gym; not sure about height. I've got long arms so the box obviously helps me get a greater ROM. I do usually when use a belt when I go heavy.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.48%

I have done 455x5 standing on 100 lb plates resetting after each rep ( i have not done them in a while though). You won't hurt yourself if you are in condition to do it. 6 inches is a little much imo though.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by benj851 View Post
    I enjoy my stiff legged deadlift's they are my second favorite exercise, I love the burn in my lower back and hams. But I've been doing more and more weight lately, I love getting stronger, and at the same time I'm getting more flexable.

I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself, I started using a 3'' step when I do the exercise so I can go down further, work more of my back, and hams, and stretch further too. Is this okay? or should I not use the step, should I only go as far as the floor?

If the step is okay to use would a 6'' still be alright or is that too far down on my range of motion.
    your ROM will increase are a result of over extending. it does not sound like you are doing that much, if any. it sounds like your doing them safely. if ROM increases, that's not a bad thing. i do not know if there is a range that is to great......when doing SLDL, if you come close to reaching China let me know
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.98%
    Achievements Posting Pro

My goal is to reach china by next month... I'll let you know how it goes. lol.
  6. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by benj851 View Post

I do my romanian deadlifts on a box/step, to get a greater stretch in my hamstrings, because doing them on the floor isn't enough for me.

You should be fine using a 6" step. I use a much taller box and go down quite low. You can go as low as you want using the step (i.e. so the BB touches your feet, or until the plates on the BB touch the floorr, etc.), so long as it is within your range of motion, you keep your back straight and your form good.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

Similar Forum Threads

1. stiff leg deadlifts vs leg curls
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 04:38 PM
  2. Heavier Stiff-Legged Deadlift?
    By CriZPer in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-28-2006, 04:44 PM
  3. Stiff Legged DL
    By OCCFan023 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10